No announcement yet.

Three Proposals To Consider For Ubuntu Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the main objective in rolling releases is to bring new models and versions of software faster to the user, without having them wait months before the next release image and risking beta/alpha builds.

Personally I would like rolling releases, but I would hate having to reinstall my system so much if it wasn't easy to maintain. I never do release updates, I reinstall and merge in my older /etc and home directory.

Comment

I'm not too thrilled that my 11.04 isn't updated anymore with simple stuff like Firefox, etc. Of course they have to draw the line somewhere.

On my 12.04 machine I have no intention of upgrading beyond that since each release seems to get crazier and crazier.

Sometimes I feel like there are too many changes too frequently. It's hard to settle in as a new upheaval is just around the corner.

It would be better if they just kept third-party packages like Firefox, LibreOffice, video drivers, etc. updated and then maybe updated the Ubuntu-specific stuff and kernel once a year. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        Then why don't YOU install a new distro every 2 months and tell us what it feels like?
        Lol, what?
        Ubuntu releases every 6 months, not 2. Pretty big difference.
        Also you don't have to reinstall, you can upgrade.
        If you thinks 6 months is too often then you should use the LTS
        path, which also is the recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
          Lol, what?
          Ubuntu releases every 6 months, not 2. Pretty big difference.
          Also you don't have to reinstall, you can upgrade.
          If you thinks 6 months is too often then you should use the LTS
          path, which also is the recommended.
          And we all know Ubuntu upgrades always go smoothly... Nice attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
            As you already today have to upgrade to every single initirm release there is no difference.
            And 2 months should be enough for most people to upgrade. A rolling release wouldn't be
            any better either as you need to update every day.

I hope you know that when you sign up the post count start at zero. If that means that
            you are a troll every one on this forum should be considered trolls. Even though a lot of
            people just seems to be here to complain you shouldn't call everyone trolls.
            No... Don't sidestep what i said... I said lower post count PLUS a clear pro Corporate attitude AGAINST the user... And you DIDN'T sign up yesterday... So, how much is your pay?

Comment

Working...
            X