Hardware Expectations For Valve's Steam Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juanrga View Post
    Intel lies about the nanometer. Their 22nm process are what everyone else calls 28nm. Their production process has quality issues as well. E.g. the IHS issue with the Ivy Bridge chips. AMD has solid production process. That is why it is AMD who owns the worldwide record of overclocking. Intel chips cannot achieve record clockspeeds.
    This conclusion is definitely wrong. The Ivy Bridge die is smaller and therefore the heatspreader does not work so well as with a bigger die (Amd ones are definitely BIGGER). Also those speed records are done with unlocked amd chips which have only 1/4 of the integrated cores enabled at all (ok, for Intel this is possible as well). Intel has got K cpus but the maximum multiplier allowed is now 63 (Sandy Bridge 57). As the base clock can only be raised by 10% usually this means the max. is around 7 ghz even with liquid nitrogen. I think Haswell will allow up to 77x, lets see how well it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      This conclusion is definitely wrong. The Ivy Bridge die is smaller and therefore the heatspreader does not work so well as with a bigger die (Amd ones are definitely BIGGER). Also those speed records are done with unlocked amd chips which have only 1/4 of the integrated cores enabled at all (ok, for Intel this is possible as well). Intel has got K cpus but the maximum multiplier allowed is now 63 (Sandy Bridge 57). As the base clock can only be raised by 10% usually this means the max. is around 7 ghz even with liquid nitrogen. I think Haswell will allow up to 77x, lets see how well it works.
      The conclusion is right. The problem with ivy Bridge is not die size but low quality materials and poor design (no fluxless solder)

It's proven: the thermal interface material (TIM) used by Intel, inside the integrated heatspreader (IHS) of its Core "Ivy Bridge" processors are behind its higher than expected load temperatures. This assertion was first made in late-April by an Overclockers.com report, and was recently put to test...

There are lots of videos on internet explaining how to remove the IHS for cleaning the stock bad quality TIM and substituting it by high-quality TIM.

The AMD world record of overclocking that I was mentioning has the eight cores enabled

Yes Haswell promised revolutionary overclocking... well it also promised us more than 10% gain in performance and better performance per watt but tests are showing other things

The first Intel Haswell Core i7-4770K has gone live by Chinadiy which has thoroughly detailed the fourth generation flagship processor.

Comment

Steam Machine vs Xbox One vs PS4

I was doing research on the Steam Machine's specs and price and how it compared to the Xbox One and PS4. I am not the best with specs so can anyone tell me if the facts I gave in this post are legitimate:

Comment

Working...
        X