Systemd 198 Brings "Many Big Changes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    EDIT: When is systemd going to go fetch my email for me? When is it going to synchronize my phone for me? When is it going to -be- the firewall. When is it going to render opengl for the gpu drivers... etc, etc... Where is the line in the sand going to be drawn?
    Everything systemd does is related to service management in some way.

When is it going to fetch your email for you? Never. But it will start the service that will.
    When will it sync your phone? Never, but it will start the service that will. When is it gonna be the firewall? Never, but it will start the service that will.
    When will it render the opengl for the gpu drivers? Never..its not hardware o.O
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Everything systemd does is related to service management in some way.
      Well that's not quite true anymore with the addition of kernel-install and bootctl in 189 (of course those are separate from the systemd process itself). Both of those deal with booting the system though.

There's this interesting snippet on /r/linux:

Release 198 i stats:
      644 commits
      in 2 months
      by 49 authors
      from 7 distros (afaik, by doing author->distro)
      -phomes

It's interesting how systemd-bootchart has evolved since it was merged. Before it was hosted separately it was only developed by Auke Kok. Now after being part of systemd for few months it has had commits from eight or so developers. I think that shows why it makes sense to bundle some of this software together even if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Now I just can't wait for Arch Linux to complete their work on pushing systemd to initframs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        When is it gonna be the firewall? Never, but it will start the service that will.
        Code:
        systemctl start firewalld
        systemctl enable firewalld

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          I many other ways do I need to say it? It's bloatware... It doesnt -need- to do just about anything that it does. It is a workaround for a problem that is being addressed in a really bad manner. In addition it tries to be everything for everyone. Where is the line going to be drawn?
          People have explained to you all the benefits in great detail many times. I also did that.

Bad manner: explain. Seems again like your 'it is buggy claim'. According to Fedora Bugzilla, systemd is not buggy. According to Mageia Bugzilla, systemd is not buggy.

Back up your claims. Don't repeat things that have been refuted or replied to.

You keep repeatedly asking why people are defending systemd. Read the comments already! Jeez!

Comment

Working...
          X