Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff not mentioned in the changelog:

LOTS of new community hacking.

More paid developers working at systemd on a regular basis.

Intel showing further commitment to systemd by buying sysyemd service provider ProFUSION.

This is SANE software, developed in the OPEN, by a DIVERSE group of TALENTED hackers, supported by HEALTY COMPANIES, working on EQUAL AND FAIR TERMS without contributor licenses derailing freedom. Why wait for a space cowboy to deorbit and serve you crappy CLAed skunkwork?

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      Stuff not mentioned in the changelog:

LOTS of new community hacking.

More paid developers working at systemd on a regular basis.

Intel showing further commitment to systemd by buying sysyemd service provider ProFUSION.

This is SANE software, developed in the OPEN, by a DIVERSE group of TALENTED hackers, supported by HEALTY COMPANIES, working on EQUAL AND FAIR TERMS without contributor licenses derailing freedom. Why wait for a space cowboy to deorbit and serve you crappy CLAed skunkwork?
      Very much my thoughts

Comment

Aren't they the same people that are behind enlightenment? They contribute a lot to it i think. Hope this doesn't change.

The only think i hope with 198 is that they fixed the journal size bug.

Comment

HEALTY COMPANIES
          Intel's commercial practices are fair, very fair (eg. pay more for overclocking).

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            I guess the real question is, What is it that systemd is -not- trying to be?

It tries to be everything and yet it isnt good at anything.... I hate it.... It's ruining Linux....

I wish LP would disappear. All he manages to write is buggy bloatware.
            Have anything to backup your claims? Or perhaps, you're just repeating some unix idiots bullshit? The fact is unix is dead and this is good, because Linux is better.

Comment

I don't mind systemd, if there is a target market for it that means there is a group of people that feels/think they need this piece of software and they can take profit from it, and that's OK. Personally I don't need CoreOS, neither it will make my life easier. Hence I don't need systemd and it does not suit my needs. Systemd is not about an init manager anymore but as it has been said, it is an effort to reduce fragmentation using a particular software ecosystem, Systemd. That's also OK to me. I don't mind the fragmentation "problem", for me it is not a problem but I understand that for some users it might be a burden and that they can benefit from less fragmentation. I just wonder if we will manage to reconcile both views as far as possible in a practical way.

And by the way, there are a lot of childish statements all around the web about how much some people hate Y software and about how much they love Z software. That's bullshit. Sane people don't mix emotions with compiled source code.
              Last edited by zwastik; 08 March 2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zwastik View Post
                And by the way, there are a lot of childish statements all around the web about how much some people hate Y software and about how much they love Z software. That's bullshit. Sane people don't mix emotions with compiled source code.
                The most true and sane statement I ever read on Phoronix, I would just add "or licenses" to the last sentence to make it even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  The most true and sane statement I ever read on Phoronix, I would just add "or licenses" to the last sentence to make it even better.
                  Code: you cant everybody happy.
                  License: Do away with commercial CLA, stay on free licenses. 99% of discussion will go away.

Here is a great chance for you to get what you want; Just say no to drugs and CLA.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

3) Ruining Linux? By what? Removing the fragmentation and inconsistencies? By getting rid of shell scripts and replacing them with flat ini files? If you want to argue against systemd, then bring specific technical faults with specific examples. Otherwise shutup, sit down, and let the people who actually UNDERSTAND whats going on do what they've set out to do.
                    By making it less compatible with other Unix's. With init systems you could basically use the same scripts. You can use the init files to launch services on Solaris or FreeBSD.

But on the other hand, who wants to limit themselves to the lowest common denominator, linux has some awesome kernel API's, let's use them.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
                      By making it less compatible with other Unix's. With init systems you could basically use the same scripts. You can use the init files to launch services on Solaris or FreeBSD.
                      You couldn't use them on solaris, solaris has their own init manager like systemd.

And the various *BSD's prob couldn't use the same scripts anyway because of diferences in file location or permissions or any of the other hundred and a half problems you run into when writing sh scripts. And fixing them may or may not be non-trivial since sh scripts are inherently ugly to write and debug. (This coming from an Arch user who HAS had to write, change and debug a few rc scripts)
                      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
                      X