XFX 5770 and Eyefinity w/3 LCD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFX 5770 and Eyefinity w/3 LCD's

Ok I am new to Linux and have been trying with not much success to get Eyefinity to work. I have followed several threads and tutorials and can't get my XFX 5770 GPU to push my 3 LCD's.

The end result is always either a black screen or boot-up to login and then a blank desktop with no icons. Can anyone shed some light onto this and maybe a good tutorial? I am trying all of this on 12.10 64-bit

thanks

theDogger

I guess the first question is how the monitors are connected. The GPUs can usually drive two DVI/VGA/HDMI connectors and anything past that has to be DP.
    Test signature

Comment

Well the standard setup 2-DVI's and a DP. Works great under Win7 Can use all 3 LCD independently of as one for gaming...

theDogger

Comment

OK, thanks. AFAIK that should "just work" with the open source drivers. Not sure about Catalyst but I thought it supported Eyefinity as well.

Which driver are you using for Linux, and does it work OK if you run with only one or two displays ?
        Test signature

Comment

Ok again I am fresh to Linux/Ubuntu, so I will tell you what I have done and the results. I am doing a Dual boot with Win7, install goes without issue. Upon first login 2 of the 3 LCD's are active and they mirror each other. When I go to the display settings I have no option to turn the mirroring off. So I D/L the ATI drivers and install them. Reboot and either boot to the login screen and after logging in the desktop is black or all the icon's are missing.

I have tried to follow some tutorials on YT with no success...
          theDogger

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by theDogger View Post
              Anyone?
              xrandr (in terminal) output?

Comment

Firstly, that was a rather large necro

Eyefinity and Multi-Monitor differ. Eyefinity is using multiple monitors to achieve a single display, and essentially combine the resolutions to make one large one (so 3 1600x900 screens in Landscape = 4800x900). Multi-monitor is just using the monitors as-is, independent of each other (so 3 1600x900 screens in Landscape = just that; 3 screens at 1600x900).

"True" Eyefinity under Linux afaik isn't an easy setup, if it's even possible. Multi-monitor should be rather easy though. My 3 screens on my 7850 were detected with the open-source driver on Ubuntu 13.04. The screens work just fine with fglrx also. Depends mainly on how well your monitors are supported I guess (shouldn't be a problem unless your monitors have no EDID or are hooked up in some strange way (DisplayPort over USB, DVI-to-DP via adapter, etc.))

Comment

Working...
                X