Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 224

Thread: Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Let's look at the most popular Android ROM CyanogenMod.
    I bet Mark's approach will be to garner a user base that will lead to greater uptake, so don't get ahead of yourself. We are talking about Linux here, and Mark has been the only one to get it into the mainstream so far, so put some trust in him to take it further.

    Without Mark and Ubuntu, Linux would be still in the dark ages. Ubuntu has brought competition by their sheer innovation, causing other players to be doing catchup.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    So Martin Grlin thinks he owns Kubuntu or KDE based Ubuntu. Is this a case of tall poppy-syndrome of people not liking Mark's success?

    Ubuntu is kicking butt. Just accept it, it's quality and vision that others are lacking.
    He "owns" kwin though, he's the main kwin developer for upstream KDE. kubuntu generally doesn't do any development of KDE itself afiak, so if he says kwin won't support mir I'd say thats accurate, since he's one of the people actually coding kwin.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    I bet Mark's approach will be to garner a user base that will lead to greater uptake, so don't get ahead of yourself. We are talking about Linux here, and Mark has been the only one to get it into the mainstream so far, so put some trust in him to take it further.

    Without Mark and Ubuntu, Linux would be still in the dark ages. Ubuntu has brought competition by their sheer innovation, causing other players to be doing catchup.
    How is Ubuntu in the mainstream? Go out to town stop 100 people and ask them what computer operating systems they know.
    Haven't seen a Ubuntu fanboy in so much denial for a long time.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    He "owns" kwin though, he's the main kwin developer for upstream KDE. kubuntu generally doesn't do any development of KDE itself afiak, so if he says kwin won't support mir I'd say thats accurate, since he's one of the people actually coding kwin.
    My statement is still correct. If Martin plays politics then he's doing himself and KDE, a disservice.

    I use Kubuntu myself. I want it moving forward, not go stale with the likes of other distributions who put little effort in concurrency and size of their repositories, or KDE versions. Canonical has also made KDE what it is today, by their support for Kubuntu.

    Wake up and smell the flowers(roses) is an appropriate saying.
    Last edited by e8hffff; 03-07-2013 at 02:53 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    How is Ubuntu in the mainstream? Go out to town stop 100 people and ask them what computer operating systems they know. Haven't seen a Ubuntu fanboy in so much denial for a long time.
    Just admit it you're a bitter person and can't stand for Ubuntu to go big.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Are you Mark Shuttleworth? I'm kinda sick of this retarded bs again and again and again.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Just admit it you're a bitter person and can't stand for Ubuntu to go big.
    I'd love for Ubuntu to go big - on Wayland.

    Edited: Let me be even more clear, I want Canonical to go Apple big while on Wayland. While not flipping the bird to Wayland/X.org.
    Last edited by MartinN; 03-07-2013 at 03:10 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    Canonical has also made KDE what it is today, by their support for Kubuntu.
    This made me laugh

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    My statement is still correct. If Martin plays politics then he's doing himself and KDE, a disservice.

    I use Kubuntu myself. I want it moving forward, not go stale with the likes of other distributions who put little effort in concurrency and size of their repositories, or KDE versions. Canonical has also made KDE what it is today, by their support for Kubuntu.

    Wake up and smell the flowers(roses) is an appropriate saying.
    At least 4 kubuntu developers are working for Blue Systems now

    Jonathan Riddell
    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...u-1518345.html
    Rohan Garg
    https://launchpad.net/~rohangarg
    Harald Sitter
    http://at.linkedin.com/in/haraldsitter
    Jonathan Thomas
    http://jontheechidna.wordpress.com/2...e-and-kubuntu/

    And so Martin Grlin
    http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...s-1725221.html

    Hell from what I see Blue Systems have developers in almost every core KDE project

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e8hffff View Post
    My statement is still correct. If Martin plays politics then he's doing himself and KDE, a disservice.

    I use Kubuntu myself. I want it moving forward, not go stale with the likes of other distributions who put little effort in concurrency and size of their repositories, or KDE versions. Canonical has also made KDE what it is today, by their support for Kubuntu.

    Wake up and smell the flowers(roses) is an appropriate saying.
    Starting from this point:
    If there are downstream specific patches they should be applied downstream. This means at the current time there is no way to add support and even if someone would implement support for KWin on Ubuntu I would veto the patches as we dont accept distro-specific code. If Mir becomes available on more distributions one can consider the second question.
    It is evident that:
    1) If he speaks about to put a "veto" on some eventualy distro-specific patch this means, to me, that he is in change for do it.
    2) if you are seasoned about the space-man policy in terms of open source approach, it is your problem. Other people follow different approach about the open source community and if he say "we do not accept distro-specific patch" it means that he *does not go stale with the likes of just-one-distro*
    3) KDE has made KDE what it is today, Canonical was and is busy to make many things but no one of those have something to share with KDE. Wait, maybe Wayland could be something to share with kde, but they have correct this error pretty quickly.
    4) *If there are downstream specific patches they should be applied downstream* should be clear enough, isn't it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •