No announcement yet.

Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark also writes, "I?ve absolutely no doubt that Kwin will work just fine on top of Mir." This is quite interesting considering that Martin Gr??lin, the maintainer of the KDE KWin compositing window manager, wrote on his blog about Mir. The German KDE developer wrote, "Will KWin support Mir? No!"
    I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot of this type of thing lately.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      They intend to support the Android gpu drivers built for surfaceflinger. Wayland supports some, but not all, present day Android GPU chipsets.
      Still doesn't really matter if there simply won't be anyone making that thing. As I said they are at the mercy of OEMs and carriers and Canonical doesn't really have a good track record when it comes to getting companies to ship their stuff. Or have you seen any Ubuntu TVs lately? You know the ones demoed at CED 1-2 years ago?

Luck at the current state of Ubuntu Touch. Look at Mirs to do list. You think anyone is interested putting this clusterfuck on a phone/tablet and ship it to stores by the end of this year?
      Last edited by blackout23; 07 March 2013, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post
        "the space tourist goes on to say"

Really? It sounds to me like someone is angry.. There are many space tourists, this should read "the founder of Ubuntu, a widely popular Linux distro, goes on to say." That is, if we need superfluous descriptors.
        I think it's supposed to be a pun. Shuttleworth a space tourist, saying that Mir (a satellite) is "a fantastic piece of engineering". Truly worth a shuttle, that.

Originally posted by sabun View Post
        My thought's exactly. Shouldn't being a journalist require one to be as indifferent as possible? Things haven't even taken off yet for both Wayland and Mir, yet the article makes it seem like war at the end of the world.
        Hah, you'd wish. No, it's scientists that are required to be indifferent, not journalists.

Comment

Yes - Mir is fantastic

And Wayland is diamond-dazzlingly magnificent. In an unrelated note, dear Mr Otellini and the next-incoming Intel CEO - you've got a strong team of developers working on the next thing that could sell a quadrillion Intel CPUs in the next 10 years - Wayland on Linux. Advance the transformation of Linux like no one has been able to by investing in this as well as the Intel HD FLOSS drivers.

As much as I hate slogans - let the best man win.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            How is Mir going to be on more more devices? They don't have any OEMs and Carriers on board for Ubuntu Touch. If they really want devices out late this year beginning 2014 they should have something to announce by now. Firefox has 18 companies on its bandwagon. Don't tell me they are holdling it back...they would take any publicity they can get "Hey company XY will ship Ubuntu Phones!" to attracts more OEMs.
            You don't need Carriers. Have you even conceptualised the project? Ubuntu OS will layer itself on open phones and tablets, as well as running perfectly on desktops.

Canonical will obviously like dedicated Phone Signal Carriers for the restrictive US market, but it's not imperative for their project. Anyone that unlocks their phone and accesses the coming images will be able to use Ubuntu 'Next'. Also other Nations don't have the monopoly setup America has with carriers. Other places allow you to buy a SIM from a carrier and put it in any phone that supports the tower/comms protocols.
            Last edited by e8hffff; 07 March 2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              They intend to support the Android gpu drivers built for surfaceflinger. Wayland supports some, but not all, present day Android GPU chipsets.
              I thought Wayland dropped that (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI4Mjk)? Or is there another route that works on occasion?

Anyhow:
              The whole deal with Mir does leave a bad taste in my mouth; but then, so does the decision RAOF compared it to: Lennart starting systemd instead of continuing to work on upstart.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Martin is the maintainer for KWin.
                Not accepting distro specific code for the Window Manager he maintains (which is then used by KUbuntu) sounds pretty sensible to me.
                He still doesn’t own KWin. He should be supporting the best solutions, and if that's Mir, do it. If he plays politics then he should be booted by the community.

KDE has a lot to gain with Ubuntu's move into QT.

Comment

Haha so you think they will get anywhere by having people flash Ubuntu on their device?

Let's look at the most popular Android ROM CyanogenMod.

It has 3.8 Million installations. Now of course not everyone is running CM or uses a custom ROM on his rooted phone so let's just quadruple or even 5x this number and end up with 20 Million rooted devices. Next put that in perspective to the amount of Android devices out there. Hint it is in the hundrets of millions. So from 20 million maybe 10% will install Ubuntu Touch. WOHO Ubuntu world domination!

If they don't get someone to build a phone with Ubuntu that you can buy fast they'll have failed. Like it or not.

@Kwin

He will support it if it ends up being used by many Linux distros which is very unlikely if you look at the adoption of past Canonical things like upstart.
                  If it's just ends up a Ubuntu only thing it would be retarded to put code into the main Kwin just to support ONE distro.

Comment

FWIW...

Mir wasn't exactly a satellite...it was a spacelab like the fail SkyLab or the sucessfull ISS.

Mir still holds several world records.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                      He still doesn’t own KWin. He should be supporting the best solutions, and if that's Mir, do it. If he plays politics then he should be booted by the community.

KDE has a lot to gain with Ubuntu's move into QT.
                      Technically he does actually I mean he is the main developer and I don't know how much of the codebase is his work but I'd imagine most of it at this point...

Also as the maintainer it is his repo...

Comment

Working...
                      X