Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    What they do is not going to affect you in any way if you're not using their distro.
    I may of Mir will be popular and the rest won't follow it

Comment

Originally posted by shadowriver View Post
      It's their OS. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowriver View Post
        Then that's the fault of the rest for not making their project successful.

Should Google drop their Android platform because Meego can't keep up?

Comment

I don't see why Ubuntu specific code should be hosted on KDE's servers. No other distro has the priviledge.

You're welcome to like Ubuntu and Canonical, but let's not get carried away lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
            It's their OS. Deal with it.
            I'm tired of reading this argument it reeks of hypocrisy. You?re telling someone to "Deal with it" because they are expressing their opinion which is something you disagree with and cannot yourself deal with.

Criticism is a good thing it opens up discussion and allows individuals and companies alike to re-evaluate the status quo.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
              By the way, a GPL licensed project with CLA can be as easily closed as a project with permissive license, so this argument is void here anyways.
              This is not entirely true. The CLA can allow the project to be closed but it can be forked, once forked there is no more CLA which means it can never be closed again e.g. LibreOffice. With a permissive license the cycle cannot be broken i.e the code can be forked but this forked code can just be closed again e.g OpenOffice now that its under Apache license.
              Last edited by timothyja; 07 March 2013, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                Qt. Not QT.
                Why ru obsessed with misspelling QT?</whatever>

An Ubuntu dev said Mir is "..by Ubuntu for Ubuntu" so Martin's "War is Peace" blog has a point to not include Mir support in KDE upstream.

Comment

I honestly don't mind that Canonical is making it's own display servier for Ubuntu. Go ahead, we'll see if it's better. I don't even mind that they saw issues with Wayland which they thought they couldn't overcome. We all have our own problems. I just don't understand why, after evaluating Wayland in late 2010 and deciding it was the way to go, Canonical suddenly has problems with Wayland and hasn't told anyone, and further developed their own solution in secret.

It just makes no sense. It's illogical and anti-social, for no apparent reason.
                  Last edited by Nobu; 07 March 2013, 10:38 PM.

Comment

It's not Engineering

It can be a fantastic piece of Software Architecture, but sure as hell isn't Engineering.

Comment

• Originally posted by timothyja View Post
                      This is not entirely true. The CLA can allow the project to be closed but it can be forked, once forked there is no more CLA which means it can never be closed again e.g. LibreOffice. With a permissive license the cycle cannot be broken i.e the code can be forked but this forked code can just be closed again e.g OpenOffice now that its under Apache license.
                      Forking away from upstream usually is an uphill battle due to a loss of momentum. It worked in LibreOffice's case, but it doesn't always work that way.

Comment

Working...
                      X