Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
    So Martin Gr??lin thinks he owns Kubuntu or KDE based Ubuntu. Is this a case of tall poppy-syndrome of people not liking Mark's success?

Ubuntu is kicking butt. Just accept it, it's quality and vision that others are lacking.
    You've got to be kidding. Kubuntu is much better distribution. Ubuntu doesn't even provide kernel headers, so nvidia graphic drivers won't work! You have to install headers manually.. It's so dumb.

Comment

• Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      You've got to be kidding. Kubuntu is much better distribution. Ubuntu doesn't even provide kernel headers, so nvidia graphic drivers won't work! You have to install headers manually.. It's so dumb.
      That is the dumbest argument I have heard for a long time. Ubuntu is bad because it doesn't provide kernel headers in the default install and Kubuntu is better because it does? I could understand your argument if they wouldn't provide kernel headers at all, but because they aren't pre-installed? Man, if you need them they are just an apt-get away (or whatever GUI tool you prefer to install packages), so what is your problem?

Comment

So Martin Gr??lin thinks he owns Kubuntu or KDE based Ubuntu. Is this a case of tall poppy-syndrome of people not liking Mark's success?

Ubuntu is kicking butt. Just accept it, it's quality and vision that others are lacking.
        I'm with you, +1 for this ^

Comment

If you read "planet Kde" or "planet Ubuntu" you could get the impression that at least the main Kubuntu dev support Martin Gr??lin in this.... Marks blog about Ridells blog spawned some answer blogs on planet kde. Ridell reposted them on planet Ubuntu...
          I really think Marks blog was kinda nasty..

Comment

This is what I was trying to tell everyone. The future is mobile devices, even though Desktops will always be around. Microsoft knows this and is spending billions on advertising to make a success of their Surface Tablets, but are failing. If Microsoft don't make it they are screwed as Google and Apple will continue to dominate. Canonical is simply doing what's needed to be in the front pack leading the computer scene. If they don't do this manoeuvre then they are trapping themselves to the Desktop. Other Distros will fall away as they become less relative to User needs.
            Even if this was the case... Why would we give a damn? I'm using a desktop. And I will continue using a desktop. If Mir was the best thing since sliced bread for mobile devices, it still wouldn't matter in the slightest if it did nothing on the desktop.

And even in mobile space, Sailfish looks to be in a far better position than Ubuntu, anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kite View Post
              Explain why you think an Nvidia driver will support both Mir and Wayland. This, I think, is central to the opinion you've taken up; if this were the case, of course, then Wayland and Mir could easily coexist. Not having Canonical's support for Wayland certainly is not helpful, but it does not otherwise harm Wayland. If this is not the case, then Wayland and Mir are in direct competition with each other for driver support, and the introduction of Mir duplicates the expense of developing Linux drivers for Nvidia. They then either bear twice the expense or take sides, which is a death knell for the other (unless AMD picks it up, and then we have a situation where we have GPU-specific distros; not ideal). Furthermore, Nvidia seems more likely to support Wayland, given the Optimus issues that copyleft licensing has caused them. And Intel provided much of the development force behind Wayland, so I hardly see them deciding to put a bunch of resources into developing a driver for Mir.
              Because EGL is a standard. If Nvidia creates an EGL driver to support Mir, it will work on Wayland too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                I'm actually going to assume he's a delusional academic (come to think of it, isn't that statement redundant?) like the other one I was arguing with over Object Oriented Programming, who thinks that math solves everything and forgets that engineering has a long and ... entertaining... past of failures before things get to the point where you can just pop out a bridge or a building. The other one was delusional enough to believe that we got sending people into space right in 1. Which if you know anything about the history of space travel... well you're busting a gut in laughter right now, or maybe crying if you had relatives involved.. Hell we weren't even able to get it right again today with the constellation project which resulted in that all being acceded to corporations..
                Well, my grandfather was a NASA engineer that worked for Wernher Von Braun. Our family is all for the commercialization of space access. But now we are really off topic here

On topic: I really don't think there needs to be so many angry people concerning Mir. Regardless of intentions, I find comfort that there are mutliple avenues being taken to solve a similar problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  Even if this was the case... Why would we give a damn? I'm using a desktop. And I will continue using a desktop. If Mir was the best thing since sliced bread for mobile devices, it still wouldn't matter in the slightest if it did nothing on the desktop.

And even in mobile space, Sailfish looks to be in a far better position than Ubuntu, anyway.
                  Even if this was the case... Why would we give a damn? I'm using a tablet. And I will continue using a tablet. If Wayland/X was the best thing since sliced bread for the desktop devices, it still wouldn't matter in the slightest if it did nothing on mobile.

And even in desktop space, Ubuntu looks to be in a far better position than <Insert random Linux distro here>, anyway.

See what I did there?

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                    Even if this was the case... Why would we give a damn? I'm using a tablet. And I will continue using a tablet. If Wayland/X was the best thing since sliced bread for the desktop devices, it still wouldn't matter in the slightest if it did nothing on mobile.

And even in desktop space, Ubuntu looks to be in a far better position than <Insert random Linux distro here>, anyway.

See what I did there?
                    And they are in a worse position relative Apple with osx. Osx is also one of this semi open system. Even Google with chrom, android whatever is probably in a better position relative Canonical (on the desktop, on tablet and phones the comparison is silly.
                    Osx already is a very good working modern desktop unix system. Without the community part I don't see the point with Canonical over Apple.

Comment

• Originally posted by Akka View Post
                      And they are in a worse position relative Apple with osx. Osx is also one of this semi open system. Even Google with chrom, android whatever is probably in a better position relative Canonical (on the desktop, on tablet and phones the comparison is silly.
                      Osx already is a very good working modern desktop unix system. Without the community part I don't see the point with Canonical over Apple.
                      This is getting out of proportion, it is still LINUX it is still OPEN SOURCE, why do you care so much about X, Mir or Wayland ? who cares ? I want this dist you want the other this is all the idea of opensource software the choice is yours, I want Ubuntu, you can have Kubuntu or W/E, really guys this sounds like a bad opera from the viva channel.....

Comment

Working...
                      X