Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    As an ecologist, I find the use of the word a poor choice overall. What eats what here? Where is the energy flow? What about nutrient cycles, consumption levels, energy input and output? Who is the top predator, who are the producers? What about intake, assimilation, respiration, biomass of each unit? No, to me something like "software sphere" would make more sense.
    It's not a great metaphor, but it's a term we're pretty much stuck with now. People generally know what you mean when you say 'ecosystem'.

Comment

• Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
      Jeez. What the hell is going on. Canonical produces what? How many times it has to be repeated. Canonical just re-packages debian packages and before unity they used their custom gay brown color, few icons and gay brown wallpapers. You call it ABLE TO PRODUCE and call it a VISION? They are not creating their own stuff, they just repackage packages. What the fuck is this retarded nonsense all over again. Canonical's only vision is make money from using other people hard work. I'm not a tech. guy, but read what wayland devs have to say about mir. MIR is just shiny stuff written on paper that's all. Canonical want more control to make more money, you call it vision. Mobile space? There is android and huge company google behind it. Now all that buntu phone hype shit, lol that crap offers nothing fancy compared to android. What's the big deal? Oh wait it's teh hype, retards don't care because they are stupid sheeps.
      I don't think you understood what I wrote. I suggest you reply only after you have comprehended what I said.

Comment

• BTW, I suggest all the sane people in the room just agree to ignore phoen1x, BO$$ and e8hffff. Makes life so much nicer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sergio View Post
          You are just an ignorant who doesn't even know what mathematics is. I just hope you someday grow up and realize how silly you were. You keep doing "software engineering" and I'll keep viewing late, buggy, insecure, inherently-flawed software like it has always been.
          Uhuh you keep telling yourself that, come back to me when you've actually figured out linguistics and how it relates to math and other languages, and learn enough history and the way things work to not make an absolute fool of yourself. In fact reading up on history is perhaps the best thing you can do to get back in touch with reality since you don't seem to have any clue about how development cycles of anything actually works.
          • Counting from the creation of Assembly in 1949 Programming as we know it is 64 years old
          • Counting from the creation of C in in 1972 Modern languages have been around for 51 years
          • Counting from the creation of C++ in 1983 and ratification in 1998 Object Oriented Programming has been around for 30 years and usable for 15

(yes one can argue to dating to other languages besides the assembly one but the ultimate point is that Software engineering is an extremely young field)

On the other hand Building engineering has been around for almost as long as humanity has so that they get things right the first time is to be expected (although even then it's not always true, see Galloping Gertie) because all the hard R&D is done. Space Travel counter to your spouting is the perfect example of why that adobe guy and you are full of shit. Don't take my word for it, actually research the history of NASA, and look and realize that there's a real world out there, and in that real world the math doesn't always work (should you be surprised? no, math is a model and so by definition can't be the real thing and so you have to expect limitations), and solutions aren't just automatic when you do the math. There is development and planning of models required. Dark matter is a perfect example of the limitations of math, despite the scifi nonsense Dark Matter is purely fudging the calculation in order to make it work. That's right it's a hole in the model and so they shoved this placeholder in there to balance the books, and it's not the only place holder they have for that particular hole just the one that's well known because the SciFi writers liked the term.

When we do finally have enough quality permissively licensed well tested modular components available to cover almost all use cases (such that people aren't having to write their own) we will finally be able to do the equivalent of just throwing out a bridge on time and without meaningful bugs, but until that point writing software is and will continue to be in the R&D stages of an Engineering Field. That said for being 64 years old software engineering is in an absolutely amazing state, it is one of if not the most rapidly developed engineering disciplines to have come into existence.
          Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 08 March 2013, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
            Unless you mean upstart/Unity which are a dubious contributions at best, Ubuntu has always been a Debian derivative. There's nothing in it you couldn't get with any other distro.
            You conveniently left out the PPA part of the quote. PPAs are the way for anybody to have millions of Ubuntu users within reach of two sources.list lines. Users who are unhappy with the software choice or update policy find consolation in PPAs. The community that has formed around PPAs is fantastic. There is nothing with the same order of magnitude for another Linux distribution. Only Arch's AUR is remotely resembling that, followed OpenSUSE OBS and Gentoo Sunrise.

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
            And other banks use ActiveX and require IE. And they all know about as much about software development as users know about ecosystems.
            So there are three kinds of banks: Those that offer distro/platform independent software (yay!), those that offer software which compiled to run on a specific version of Ubuntu (what we are talking about) and those that offer no Linux support at all (nothing to see here, please move along).

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            As an ecologist, I find the use of the word a poor choice overall. What eats what here? Where is the energy flow? What about nutrient cycles, consumption levels, energy input and output? Who is the top predator, who are the producers? What about intake, assimilation, respiration, biomass of each unit? No, to me something like "software sphere" would make more sense.
            What? You mean computer viruses must be categorized in DNA and RNA types? Should computers produce antibodies against them? Why can't we have the computer equivalent of the Mimivirus? Oh wait, that's called Windows.

Seriously, dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
              You have NO clue what you are talking about. Have you ever even set foot in an Apple Store? (i guess not) You can buy MacOSX by itself and that has ALWAYS been the case. it's like $100. I know several people with Hackintoshes that have done just that.

if you are going to make factual claims, at least take 2 seconds to verify that are indeed facts. (going on Apple's website / online store would have been appropriate, in this case b4 making such moronic claims).
              Maybe I should have qualified by inserting the word "legally" for you. Hackintoshes are not legal. Hence, to legally run OS X, you need a apple branded computer. So there is no point to buying OS X if you do not own or plan to buy a Apple computer as long as you want to legally run it.

Originally posted by ninez View Post
              No. I don't think people think it's 'the golden torch of linux'. I think many long time linux users want standardization, not more fragmentation - which just hinders development. I also don't think people assume that once Wayland is adopted that automagically will see a much higher adoption rate (where the fsck do you even come up with this stuff? it's pretty laughable).

having a better graphical stack, more standardization with less fragmentation is the point.
              Canonical working on Mir doesn't top anyone else from working on Wayland. Mir only changes things for Ubuntu, not any other distro. I see a lot of hypocrisy behind this claim of fragmentation. When it's something you agree with, you will tout it as diversity. If it is something you disagree with, you will cry fragmentation.

E.g: People tout having 1001 distros as diversity and having choice. 1001 Toolkits is diversity. 6 or 7 desktop environments is diversity. 2 display servers (X and Wayland), diversity. Add Mir, now it becomes fragmentation? Where is the consistency?

If Mir came from Google or Redhat, the story would be different.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                E.g: People tout having 1001 distros as diversity and having choice. 1001 Toolkits is diversity. 6 or 7 desktop environments is diversity. 2 display servers (X and Wayland), diversity. Add Mir, now it becomes fragmentation? Where is the consistency?

So i can't comprehend your retarded posts eh? 1001 toolkits? Google some info on it. Why gtk was created, why g.n.o.m.e. was born. There are only 3 desktop environments and one of them is irrelevant. Wayland was started by Xorg devs, so no there are no 2 display servers. Yes MIR is fragmentention, but you are too dumb to understand.
                Wayland came from employee who was working for RedHat(even if it was side project), please stop posting bs like other buntutards here.
                Last edited by phoen1x; 08 March 2013, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                  Only in the sense that if Google or Red Hat had come from them they'd be upfront about what their objectives really were and not try to have a technical argument as to it's rationale and then have it was shown that their arguments were false and purely FUD that shows either A). The coders didn't really understand wayland and so calls in the the questionability of the skill and intent of the developers involved and raises questions about why they didn't try to interact with the wayland devs or (the more likely) B). That it was a smokescreen to launch from because they thought it sounded better than "We want to control our future".

As I've said before I don't think most people are taking issue because Mir exists, for me and reading through these forums most people the issue is the foul play on the part of canonical.

Comment

• Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    What? You mean computer viruses must be categorized in DNA and RNA types? Should computers produce antibodies against them? Why can't we have the computer equivalent of the Mimivirus? Oh wait, that's called Windows.

Seriously, dude...
                    Having words that are analogies to things in real life is not bad. But a "software ecosystem" is not even remotely similar to a real ecosystem. What people mean when they say "software ecosystem" is actually a platform. The Android platform, the Blackberry platform, the iOS platform. It's just that someone came up with the idea that the word "ecosystem" sounds better, even if it has no relation to it to begin with.

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                    Absolutely not. If RedHat had proposed a new display server that they had worked on in secrecy for half a year, that they had abandoned 5 years of development that went into designing a new display server that had already been sufficiently advanced, and had backed up their plan by spreading misinformation, while also having a team that had hardly been experienced enough to work on a project of this scale, and had had a schedule to release it in a half-year's time, the reaction would not have been different in the slightest.

Comment

• During the last six years I have spent countless unpaid hours bolstering Ubuntu's position as *the* linux desktop. I am not alone. We have collectively ensured the current position of Ubuntu. We did it because we believed in Mark and his intentions. A former Debian developer. Canonical is not free to do what it wants, not without consequences. We gave him our trust, in return we expect decent behaviour. We expect him to follow the fundamental principals of free software. We expect Canonical to be a positive force in the free software world. We expect Canonical to collaborate with the free software world. Mir may just prove to be the final nail in the coffin for Ubuntu's desktop dominance.

Comment

Working...
                      X