Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

Phoronix: Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

Mark Shuttleworth has written a third blog post today. After he started blogging to come to his defense on Ubuntu, he's written a third post that largely is defending Canonical's position on developing the Mir Display Server and the feelings right now by derivatives like Kubuntu and Xubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"the space tourist goes on to say"

Really? It sounds to me like someone is angry.. There are many space tourists, this should read "the founder of Ubuntu, a widely popular Linux distro, goes on to say." That is, if we need superfluous descriptors.

Comment

Samsung is launching Tizen phones this year which run wayland. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post

Really? It sounds to me like someone is angry.. There are many space tourists, this should read "the founder of Ubuntu, a widely popular Linux distro, goes on to say." That is, if we need superfluous descriptors.
        My thought's exactly. Shouldn't being a journalist require one to be as indifferent as possible? Things haven't even taken off yet for both Wayland and Mir, yet the article makes it seem like war at the end of the world.

Comment

@Michael "I do wish any open-source project success that seeks to improve the Linux graphics stack."

Hahaha. Come on. Admit it, you want it to die. And so do I.

BTW. Loved the photo and description. "Will Mir hold better?"

Comment

So Martin Gr??lin thinks he owns Kubuntu or KDE based Ubuntu. Is this a case of tall poppy-syndrome of people not liking Mark's success?

Ubuntu is kicking butt. Just accept it, it's quality and vision that others are lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by coder543 View Post

Most people who actually have a clue are angry at Canonical not because Mir exists but because Canonical didn't even try to work with Wayland, They never once even talked to the wayland devs until RAOF decided to do so after the fact, or voice concerns or needs, meanwhile Canonical spread FUD about Wayland which due to community reaction they had to retract and comes out with this other in-development display server which they've been working on for the past 9 months, with none of their arguments against wayland actually holding up under scrutinty, which means either they made a bad technical analysis (which if that was the case they would have been talking to the wayland devs and would have stopped working on Mir once their problems were found to be naught) or it's a purely political move. It's pretty clear by everything that has happened that it's the latter, and that's what is making people angry.

Comment

If you disagree with Robert Webb's previous criticism of the UK-based charity supporting gender non-conforming children Mermaids, feel free to donate here:ht...

Comment

How is Mir going to be on more more devices? They don't have any OEMs and Carriers on board for Ubuntu Touch. If they really want devices out late this year beginning 2014 they should have something to announce by now. Firefox has 18 companies on its bandwagon. Don't tell me they are holdling it back...they would take any publicity they can get "Hey company XY will ship Ubuntu Phones!" to attracts more OEMs.

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                  So Martin Gr??lin thinks he owns Kubuntu or KDE based Ubuntu. Is this a case of tall poppy-syndrome of people not liking Mark's success?

Ubuntu is kicking butt. Just accept it, it's quality and vision that others are lacking.
                  Not sure if you are trolling or just stupid.

Martin is the maintainer for KWin.
                  Not accepting distro specific code for the Window Manager he maintains (which is then used by KUbuntu) sounds pretty sensible to me.
                  Last edited by blackout23; 07 March 2013, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    How is Mir going to be on more more devices? They don't have any OEMs and Carriers on board for Ubuntu Touch. If they really want devices out late this year beginning 2014 they should have something to announce by now. Firefox has 18 companies on its bandwagon. Don't tell me they are holdling it back...they would take any publicity they can get "Hey company XY will ship Ubuntu Phones!" to attracts more OEMs.

Not sure if you are trolling or just stupid.

Martin is the maintainer for KWin.
                    Not accepting distro specific code for the Window Manager he maintains (which is then used by KUbuntu) sounds pretty sensible to me.
                    They intend to support the Android gpu drivers built for surfaceflinger. Wayland supports some, but not all, present day Android GPU chipsets.

Comment

Working...
                    X