Shuttleworth On Mir: "A Fantastic Piece of Engineering"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Let's look at the most popular Android ROM CyanogenMod.
    I bet Mark's approach will be to garner a user base that will lead to greater uptake, so don't get ahead of yourself. We are talking about Linux here, and Mark has been the only one to get it into the mainstream so far, so put some trust in him to take it further.

Without Mark and Ubuntu, Linux would be still in the dark ages. Ubuntu has brought competition by their sheer innovation, causing other players to be doing catchup.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      So Martin Gr??lin thinks he owns Kubuntu or KDE based Ubuntu. Is this a case of tall poppy-syndrome of people not liking Mark's success?

Ubuntu is kicking butt. Just accept it, it's quality and vision that others are lacking.
      He "owns" kwin though, he's the main kwin developer for upstream KDE. kubuntu generally doesn't do any development of KDE itself afiak, so if he says kwin won't support mir I'd say thats accurate, since he's one of the people actually coding kwin.

Comment

I bet Mark's approach will be to garner a user base that will lead to greater uptake, so don't get ahead of yourself. We are talking about Linux here, and Mark has been the only one to get it into the mainstream so far, so put some trust in him to take it further.

Without Mark and Ubuntu, Linux would be still in the dark ages. Ubuntu has brought competition by their sheer innovation, causing other players to be doing catchup.
        How is Ubuntu in the mainstream? Go out to town stop 100 people and ask them what computer operating systems they know.
        Haven't seen a Ubuntu fanboy in so much denial for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          He "owns" kwin though, he's the main kwin developer for upstream KDE. kubuntu generally doesn't do any development of KDE itself afiak, so if he says kwin won't support mir I'd say thats accurate, since he's one of the people actually coding kwin.
          My statement is still correct. If Martin plays politics then he's doing himself and KDE, a disservice.

I use Kubuntu myself. I want it moving forward, not go stale with the likes of other distributions who put little effort in concurrency and size of their repositories, or KDE versions. Canonical has also made KDE what it is today, by their support for Kubuntu.

Wake up and smell the flowers(roses) is an appropriate saying.
          Last edited by e8hffff; 07 March 2013, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            How is Ubuntu in the mainstream? Go out to town stop 100 people and ask them what computer operating systems they know. Haven't seen a Ubuntu fanboy in so much denial for a long time.
            Just admit it you're a bitter person and can't stand for Ubuntu to go big.

Comment

Are you Mark Shuttleworth? I'm kinda sick of this retarded bs again and again and again.

Comment

Just admit it you're a bitter person and can't stand for Ubuntu to go big.
                I'd love for Ubuntu to go big - on Wayland.

Edited: Let me be even more clear, I want Canonical to go Apple big while on Wayland. While not flipping the bird to Wayland/X.org.
                Last edited by MartinN; 07 March 2013, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Canonical has also made KDE what it is today, by their support for Kubuntu.
                  This made me laugh

Comment

My statement is still correct. If Martin plays politics then he's doing himself and KDE, a disservice.

I use Kubuntu myself. I want it moving forward, not go stale with the likes of other distributions who put little effort in concurrency and size of their repositories, or KDE versions. Canonical has also made KDE what it is today, by their support for Kubuntu.

At least 4 kubuntu developers are working for Blue Systems now

Jonathan Riddell
                    Following the news that Canonical would no longer fund the KDE derivative of Ubuntu, developer Jonathan Riddell has announced that the Kubuntu project will be sponsored by Blue Systems from May

Rohan Garg
                    Kubuntu & KDE Developer, Software Engineer at Blue Systems, working on making KDE and Kubuntu more awesome

Harald Sitter

Jonathan Thomas
                    Blue Systems Like several of my Kubuntu comrades, I too will be joining Blue Systems. I will be starting in September, working half-time as to accommodate my academic journey in college. The scope …

And so Martin Gr??lin
                    KDE developer Martin Gräßlin has announced that he has been hired by Blue Systems to continue his work on the KWin window manager for the KDE Plasma Desktop

Hell from what I see Blue Systems have developers in almost every core KDE project

Comment

Starting from this point:
                      If there are downstream specific patches they should be applied downstream. This means at the current time there is no way to add support and even if someone would implement support for KWin on Ubuntu I would veto the patches as we don?t accept distro-specific code. If Mir becomes available on more distributions one can consider the second question.
                      It is evident that:
                      1) If he speaks about to put a "veto" on some eventualy distro-specific patch this means, to me, that he is in change for do it.
                      2) if you are seasoned about the space-man policy in terms of open source approach, it is your problem. Other people follow different approach about the open source community and if he say "we do not accept distro-specific patch" it means that he *does not go stale with the likes of just-one-distro*
                      3) KDE has made KDE what it is today, Canonical was and is busy to make many things but no one of those have something to share with KDE. Wait, maybe Wayland could be something to share with kde, but they have correct this error pretty quickly.
                      4) *If there are downstream specific patches they should be applied downstream* should be clear enough, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                      X