Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Unreal Engine 3 Game Coming To Linux

Phoronix: Another Unreal Engine 3 Game Coming To Linux

Nordic Games has announced today that Painkiller Hell and Damnation is being ported to Linux. This popular successor to the Painkiller first person shooter is powered by Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A request

Hey Michael, I know I'm not really anybody on this forum but I would like to request something of you.

You've been so far one of the few who have all the leads in recent stories. So I was wondering if you could somehow peer into just how much of Unreal Engine 3 really works on Linux. Maybe an interview with Ryan Gordon (he was the porter for UE3 right?)

Since Dungeon Defenders, and now Painkiller are going about Linux support, it makes me wonder. Just how many more UE3 games might we see coming to Linux? As far as I know, Unreal has definitely NOT made their Linux version public in any way. Please do correct me if I'm wrong though.

Since the market definitely has loads of UE3 games, if UE3 really has a proper Linux version then we might see a lot more games within the year offering Linux support. Also, would be cool to know if at any time UE4 will support Linux. I have my eyes only on Unity at the moment since they're more open minded with supporting various platforms. Shiva3D looks promising too, but it's been 2 years since they announced a Linux version of their editor.

Comment

Someone actually beat Michael to scooping that story actually:
      Well someone asked me to contact Ryan C. Gordon aka Icculus about the possibility of more Unreal Engine 3 games coming to Linux now that Dungeon Defenders is out and he has now sent me a reply and allowed ...

Comment

YES! YES! So much win! Painkiller is my favorite fps ever! If they put up preorders I'll pay today!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          Someone actually beat Michael to scooping that story actually:
          http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...-on-linux.1593
          Cool! Thanks for sharing. Looks worrisome that only Ryan is handling the Linux port. Seems like Epic itself isn't interested at all. Whats more worrying is that it seems to be more challenging for Ryan with UE3 than with UE2. Probably means that UE4 for Linux won't be happening this century :/

Comment

With Steam on Linux and Steambox and all, I think Epic will put Linux into consideration once again. But it might be a little too late for UE4, given that UE4 games shouldn't be too far off the horizon. Then again, when having access to the source code and no real games running on it yet, it probably isn't as difficult to port as it could be. So there is still a fair chance that at least some of the later UE4 games will have built-in Linux support.

Comment

this game looks pretty fun, although some of the graphics and animations seem outdated. Kinda seems like regular UT but with a demonic twist.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                this game looks pretty fun, although some of the graphics and animations seem outdated. Kinda seems like regular UT but with a demonic twist.
                Looks almost same as original (2004) Painkiller. Unfortunately H&D gameplay is worse than original. No longer nice Havoc physics

Trivia: Adrian Chmielarz, original Painkiller creator, is called "polish John Carmack"
                Last edited by kwahoo; 07 March 2013, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                  Since Dungeon Defenders, and now Painkiller are going about Linux support, it makes me wonder. Just how many more UE3 games might we see coming to Linux? As far as I know, Unreal has definitely NOT made their Linux version public in any way. Please do correct me if I'm wrong though.
                  There are two problems at play. Well three, maybe. Four? Let me come in again...

UnrealEngine isn't a thing you just buy once and have everything. First, there's two major versions of the software: UDK (a cut-down version for indies to play with) and UnrealEngine 3. UDK games are basically not going to get ported to Linux.

Next, there's the branch thing. UnrealEngine isn't something you just buy once and get a final product. You get access to the UE3 repository, which is an ever-changing resource (much like any other actively worked on source code repository) - the norm is that your game forks off a snapshot of the UE3 code base, and you start developing your game from there. Updating your game to a later source snapshot could be potentially HUGE amounts of work, depending on how heavily you've customized your fork.

There's no official UE3 port to Linux. What exists is one shipping product, Dungeon Defenders, with its own local port to Linux based on a previous fork of an older revision done by Icculus (but never committed to mainline UE3). So it's not just a case of every UE3 game developer just hitting recompile - they need to rebase their game against something similar to the Dungeon Defenders version of UE3, and patch in DD's Linux port locally, then fix it up so it all vaguely works. The amount of work involved may or may not be huge, depending on a number of factors.

Comment

mmm, Serious Sam anyone!

Comment

Working...
                    X