Mark Shuttleworth Goes Blogging On Ubuntu Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Yes, wouldn't it be nice if free software was the norm, not the exception?

But how are we going to get there?
    If it is by selling our core values, then is it really worth it?

I don't want Linux with adware, spyware, EULA, DRM, proprietary software, proprietary protocols, binary blobs, bundled software, browser toolbars, software that modify browser start page, backdoors, etc.

Don't forget about transparency.
    Very well said. I have seen too many things I loved turn this way for a false hope of mainstream success only to not even achieve that due to the fact they had lost what it was that made them viable in the first place.

As to the people complaining about Michael posting an article about Shuttleworth's blog (and even mostly leaving it to the man's own words), will you please grow slightly thicker skin? Come on, this is Michael Larabel for christs sake! He bashes everything! I mean, if anyone has gotten a really harsh mouthful from him over the past year it would be LGP, but I do not see you guys rising to their defence.

Your reaction actually suggest that the people bashing Ubuntu might actually be on to something, and that they are hitting a nerve. Does not sound encouraging for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Milan View Post
      I will never understand ubuntu fanboys. Ok, I understand you are a fans, but despite all that is happening and that will happen you still somehow think that must be the good thing. Hilarious
      Ehh isn't that the definition of a fanboy?

Comment

Since I use Ubuntu with mostly the Plasma desktop I would consider myself part of the Ubuntu community. I'm fairly new to linux (less than a year using linux) and I don't know how to code or understand a lot of these techical terms you guys use but I think i have a basic understanding of what Mark is saying. I think he wants to be like Apple, Windows and Android (regarding wealth), feels the goal is achieveable and will say/do anything to justify it and color it as politcally correct (politcally here means as in relation to the other distros).
        Oh well. There are other distros, if he makes a bad decision/s then we will abandon his distro right?
        Sailfish is targetting Wayland and that is their future linux competition on phones and tablets right?
        Valve is going with X and probably open to Wayland and that is their future desktop/gaming platform competition right?
        Opensuse is their enterprise competition and they are still same old same old right?
        So what are we getting next from Valve? Valve Debian or something like that?

Comment

NVidia will take every opportunity to piss on anything that Intel touches... Finally the curtain is up, we can begin to see the real show. If this has no driver support for Wayland in it as well, that is....

Edit: If I am wrong, I duly apologize in advance.
          Last edited by MartinN; 07 March 2013, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
            playing the 'lone-ranger' is exactly why i think they should do, as i said - maintain your sh*t out-of-tree then..

Why should these upstream projects have the maintenance burden (for something that is Ubuntu-centric), when most of them are working towards a Wayland-centric, standardized stack across Gnu/linux? (which canonical is interfering with). ~ Upstream should just continue in the direction they are going (Wayland) and let Canonical deal with their own problems.

Lots of companies maintain patchsets out of tree, when their goals aren't inline with upstream or incompatible to some degree. I don't see any reason for Canonical to be any different.
            I don't necessarily disagree, I'm just saying that it doesn't follow to consequently criticize Canonical for no upstream contributions. If their stuff is inward-focused and only serves their vision and therefore has no use upstream, then fine.

Comment

Mark is such an inspiration for Linux. Thumbs up Mark for your dedication and vision.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeous View Post
                Since I use Ubuntu with mostly the Plasma desktop I would consider myself part of the Ubuntu community. I'm fairly new to linux (less than a year using linux) and I don't know how to code or understand a lot of these techical terms you guys use but I think i have a basic understanding of what Mark is saying. I think he wants to be like Apple, Windows and Android (regarding wealth), feels the goal is achieveable and will say/do anything to justify it and color it as politcally correct (politcally here means as in relation to the other distros).
                Oh well. There are other distros, if he makes a bad decision/s then we will abandon his distro right?
                Sailfish is targetting Wayland and that is their future linux competition on phones and tablets right?
                Valve is going with X and probably open to Wayland and that is their future desktop/gaming platform competition right?
                Opensuse is their enterprise competition and they are still same old same old right?
                So what are we getting next from Valve? Valve Debian or something like that?
                The problem with jumping distros is that Canonical now has industry players like Valve targeting Ubuntu as a platform. In terms of consumer friendliness, the only distro I can think to compare to Ubuntu is probably Suse (Fedora has been fucking up a bit recently, and they have had more breakage issues than most, but I think it also has a hand in the game). While I like openSuse more than Ubuntu, a lot of the Suse defaults piss me off (you can't run anything in /bin without root privileges, for example, which is.. dumb - I think they are improving that, though). One problem is that momentum and community has been built up around Ubuntu, touting it as the way to go for desktop Linux for the masses, and now Canonical is taking all the wind out of the sails by backstabbing everyone.

Sailfish and Tizen can both be competitive with Ubuntu Phone, but the problem is that neither of the former have the kind of marketing backing it to get it in Wal-Mart or carrier stores to be sold to users. The only real salvation in them is that since all these next gen phone platforms are targeting qt as the native toolkit, they should have no or barely any cross compilation complexity.

Valve marketed GLX to developers as a platform for Linux gaming. Consequently, that means X is here to stay for a while, especially since Valve is putting X in the steambox. Since both Wayland and Mir can run X on top, though, it doesn't pose much of a problem, but developers should start writing against EGL and not GLX.

Opensuse is a general purpose desktop OS like Ubuntu or Fedora. Nothing particularly enterprisey about it. It uses apparmor instead of selinux, for example, in terms of enterprise features. They use RPMs for packages. Right now it is probably my choice for install and forget general desktop os, despite my earlier gripes. I run Arch personally, though.

Valve is putting out a shim layer over X to run Steam in its big picture mode. They will probably use a minimal gutted compositor if necessary, I imagine it probably isn't. I imagine they will base the distro off Ubuntu (maybe Debian) though, since their original releases had hard dependencies against apt.

Also, I hope you are enjoying your time running GNU/Linux. Ignore the trolls, fight the good fight, and have fun. Don't worry about jumping ship from Ubuntu, worry when the applications you want stop working or it becomes unusable due to regressions. And then you are a clonezilla / any other backup utility / drop my /etc and ~/. files in a dropbox and switch distros.
                Last edited by zanny; 07 March 2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

If you read the main post, it's about "We're not going to go rolling-release...but, we're considering whether more frequent releases would improve our ability to do releases well."
                  I wonder if this "LEAN" development model is based on an oversimplification of reality; as described, it seems to ignore the possibility of being on the over-frequent side of an optimum.

The post Mark's other post linked to (http://blogs.kde.org/2013/03/07/ubuntu-many-communities) doesn't seem clear to me.
                  But in a way, Jonathan seems to be saying something along the lines of "Mark says Canonical took the lead with Unity because he thought Gnome and KDE, the community-driven projects, weren't improving the experience for average users--a reasonable justification for the approach. The flip side of that is that Unity becomes a non-community-driven project. We are one, so you're welcome to contribute."
                  Mark's response is based on the premise that the community includes the hypothetical "average non-technical user".
                  The question which neither seems to address is which project actually benefits this user more.
                  I must admit that I have heard a number of anecdotes indicating that Unity works reasonably for at least some of the aforementioned group.
                  However, don't think that I'm advocating Unity! I've been happily using icewm since 2007, and wouldn't touch anyhting compositing, having eye candy, or with more 3D than a Motif scrollbar.

Also, while I disagree with the "buttons on the left" decision (my comment in the poll during Lucid development), I am aware that there was a technical reason. IIRC, it was to avoid putting them near the various applets and messages.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    While I like openSuse more than Ubuntu, a lot of the Suse defaults piss me off (you can't run anything in /bin without root privileges, for example, which is.. dumb - I think they are improving that, though).
                    Eh? I'm on openSUSE and /bin/cp et al work just fine. It would be worrisome if it didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Yes, wouldn't it be nice if free software was the norm, not the exception?

But how are we going to get there?
                      If it is by selling our core values, then is it really worth it?

I don't want Linux with adware, spyware, EULA, DRM, proprietary software, proprietary protocols, binary blobs, bundled software, browser toolbars, software that modify browser start page, backdoors, etc.

Don't forget about transparency.
                      Wow that sounds exactly like Android... We already have that Linux Cononical X-X

Originally posted by talvik View Post
                      This time it's the Ubuntu community that is bashing Canonical.
                      The thing people need to understand is Michael uses Ubuntu (in a virtual machine on his macbook running osx).

The problem people have is the reluctance to help Wayland when they could of to suit their needs, now they *may* potentially eff up the driver situation for the rest of the Linux world that's not Ubuntu.
                      Last edited by nightmarex; 07 March 2013, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X