Mark Shuttleworth Goes Blogging On Ubuntu Defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talvik View Post
    Well I working with what you've wrote. You've said "EGL + extensions are what is needed to support Wayland", so doesn't nvidia have to support those "extensions" for it work?
    they're apart of the specification.

Canonical wants nVidia to add *additional* extensions in order for Mir to be able to have the features mentioned in the blog by Thomas (which Wayland already supports, using the existing EGL implementation).

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    So Wayland does not need extensions? that would reassure me a lot. Do you have some sources where the driver/EGL requirements are for Wayland? I googled quickly, but couldn't make it clear.
    Wayland doesn't need the extensions that Canonical/Mir developers are trying to get into EGL, afaict.

There is another thread here in the forums (relating to Mir/Wayland) where an Xorg/Wayland developer (or two) mentioned that all Wayland needs is a proper EGL implementation, if i remember correctly, he also said the nvidia driver wouldn't need KMS either - just EGL/extensions (but not the extensions that Thomas/Mir-dev is talknig about - since they aren't (currently?) apart of the EGL specification.

Comment

I'm so sorry for phoronix

Originally posted by cake View Post
      Removing phoronix from my rss reader for good. Your articles have become complete trash, bye!
      I Agree with you 100%

This guy is bashing Canonical and Ubuntu community every single day and most of his thoughts does not make sense at ALL.
      Obviously this is an easy way for him to get more readers and make more money. THAT'S NOT A FAIR BUSINESS.

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
        I can not see way qt should have anything against uppstreaming of the mir support. Multiplatform is a core idea for qt and as I understand it you can usually do it in a very clean way.
        I said i 'hope' upstream projects ignore Mir - i didn't say that would be what happens, nor did i give any technical reason why it wouldn't happen

Comment

Originally posted by sepisoad View Post
          I Agree with you 100%

This guy is bashing Canonical and Ubuntu community every single day and most of his thoughts does not make sense at ALL.
          Obviously this is an easy way for him to get more readers and make more money. THAT'S NOT A FAIR BUSINESS.
          When I read planet Ubuntu I get the impression Canonical get bashing from their own community also. The biggest contributor of kde package called Canonical, community unfriendly, a day ago as seen in Marks blog... And its shitload of other more or less critical blogs and people that not have renewed there memberships. But I don't get the impression that it has much to do with MIR. Maybe the secrecy around it is a part though.
          Last edited by Akka; 07 March 2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
            There is another thread here in the forums (relating to Mir/Wayland) where an Xorg/Wayland developer (or two) mentioned that all Wayland needs is a proper EGL implementation, if i remember correctly, he also said the nvidia driver wouldn't need KMS either - just EGL/extensions (but not the extensions that Thomas/Mir-dev is talknig about)
            What? "all Wayland needs is a proper EGL implementation" and than following "just EGL/extensions". It's either just EGL or EGL+extensions?

" just EGL/extensions (but not the extensions that Thomas/Mir-dev is talknig about)"
            So there will be two types of extensions? Which is exactly my point in the first place.

Comment

"What I?m really interested in is this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to create a free and open platform that is THE LEADER across both consumer and enterprise computing."

FLOSS needs THE FUHRER!

Comment

Originally posted by sepisoad View Post
                I Agree with you 100%

This time it's the Ubuntu community that is bashing Canonical.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Yes, wouldn't it be nice if free software was the norm, not the exception?

But how are we going to get there?
                  If it is by selling our core values, then is it really worth it?

I don't want Linux with adware, spyware, EULA, DRM, proprietary software, proprietary protocols, binary blobs, bundled software, browser toolbars, software that modify browser start page, backdoors, etc.

Don't forget about transparency.
                  That's my view on this as well. Sounds quite hypocritical.

I don't see anything that Ubuntu brought that isn't just as good on Mageia, for instance. Except for marketing, of course. And really, "I simply have zero interest in the crowd who wants to be different."? How about the decision to put the window control buttons on the left side of the window in Unity, and all the other things they did just to be different? Hypocrisy abound.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
                    What? "all Wayland needs is a proper EGL implementation" and than following "just EGL/extensions". It's either just EGL or EGL+extensions?

" just EGL/extensions (but not the extensions that Thomas/Mir-dev is talknig about)"
                    So there will be two types of extensions? Which is exactly my point in the first place.
                    go fscking read up on this sh*t, if you want to know about it - rather than just making assumptions, and inaccurate statements;

EGL has extensions, Mir developers want to add a few for their purposes. end of story. ~ there is no 'two types of extensions', you're point makes NO sense and you haven't even done the most BASIC homework on the subject, yet seem to think you have something relevant to say on it.
                    Last edited by ninez; 07 March 2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I will never understand ubuntu fanboys. Ok, I understand you are a fans, but despite all that is happening and that will happen you still somehow think that must be the good thing. Hilarious

Comment

Working...
                      X