Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Shuttleworth Goes Blogging On Ubuntu Defense

Phoronix: Mark Shuttleworth Goes Blogging On Ubuntu Defense

Mark Shuttleworth hadn't written on his blog -- where he posts just a few times per year -- since last December. That changed this morning though where he's already written two separate blog posts to come to the defense about Ubuntu rolling releases and saying criticism is misplaced about Canonical not taking care of the Ubuntu community...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Links to related blogs

Charles Profitt, in his recent post Ubuntu: Time to Take the Shot, talks about a meeting that the Community Council had with Mark on Tuesday. This followed a weekend of me doing everything in my power to step back from the recent announcements and discussions from Canonical that made my Thursday and Friday very difficult. […]

Some people mis-read (or I mis-wrote) my previous blog as critisising Ubuntu for not caring about its community any more. That's not what I wanted to say and it wouldn't make any sense, Ubuntu is a large community, it can hardly stop caring about itself.

Mostly unhappy community members/leaders being overrun by Canonical.

Offtopic. Nvidia going Mir? Fragmentation has started:
    Some time ago, Canonical started internal discussions about our convergence strategy, clearly spelling out the distant target of shaping and developing a single computing platform and operating sys…

Comment

Removing phoronix from my rss reader for good. Your articles have become complete trash, bye!

Comment

Offtopic. Nvidia going Mir? Fragmentation has started:
        Doesn't this mean Nvidia is taking this change seriously? Meaning soon we won't need X anymore. That's a good thing. What about Wayland though? Have the Wayland developers managed to reel in AMD or Nvidia? I'm pretty sure Wayland has Intel's backing, but you can correct me if I'm wrong here.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
          Doesn't this mean Nvidia is taking this change seriously? Meaning soon we won't need X anymore. That's a good thing. What about Wayland though? Have the Wayland developers managed to reel in AMD or Nvidia? I'm pretty sure Wayland has Intel's backing, but you can correct me if I'm wrong here.
          Originally posted by from Thomas (Mir developer) in comments of last linked article
          Canonical and NVIDIA are looking into extending EGL such that topics like multiple GPU and output devices (i.e., monitors) are included within the specification. So yes, the collaboration is investigative at this point but nevertheless very real with the goal to enable Mir on all NVIDIA GPUs.
          Getting EGL into the nvidia driver also means support for Wayland (from what i have heard anyway). But like he says it's all 'investigative' at this point...

..and yes, Intel works on Wayland. (among others).

I don't like what is going on with Mir/Canonical but if we can somehow get EGL support into the nvidia blob, i will be happy (in a pragmatic way) since this should enable me to drop Xorg on 2 of my machines and switch to Wayland, since wayland is getting close enough / good enough for my use on those machines.

I hope they convince nvidia, but on the flipside, hope canonical has to maintain all of their Mir support out of tree for the various toolkits. (no one even commented on the MESA mailing list about their Mir patchset, hopefully this is a sign that upstream doesn't appreciate what Canonical is doing with Mir). If that is the case, i hope GTK+ and Qt do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
            That's correct.
            But a split of display servers between hw vendors, would only make Xorg's position stronger. Xorg will be the only one capable of supporting all drivers and all software. The creation of a competing display server will only hamper the replacement of X server, and it is happening right now just a day after Mir's announcement.

In a nutshell, a split in such a basic component is bad from every perspective.
            "Mir" such an ironic name.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
              Getting EGL into the nvidia driver also means support for Wayland (from what i have heard anyway).
              Not necessarily. According to the blog EGL has to be extended to support the display server. I don't think things are going to work right, if nvidia doesn't officially targets Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
                Not necessarily. According to the blog EGL has to be extended to support the display server. I don't think things are going to work right, if nvidia doesn't officially targets Wayland.
                You aren't understanding what the blog said then, and because of this what you are saying is coming off as FUD :\ ... EGL has to be extended for Mir, specifically, in order to handle multiple outputs/display, etc... Wayland already does this stuff, without extending EGL.

I've heard several Xorg/Wayland developers say EGL + extensions are what is needed to support Wayland. Nvidia adding a few bits for Mir shouldn't impact whether or not Wayland will run using an EGL-enabled (and compliant) nvidia blob.
                Last edited by ninez; 07 March 2013, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cake View Post
                  Removing phoronix from my rss reader for good. Your articles have become complete trash, bye!
                  Michael must be quite pissed off about Mir, he choose some great pictures of Shuttleworth.
                  But the article isn't inaccurate and the Canonical and community conflict is news worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    I hope they convince nvidia, but on the flipside, hope canonical has to maintain all of their Mir support out of tree for the various toolkits. (no one even commented on the MESA mailing list about their Mir patchset, hopefully this is a sign that upstream doesn't appreciate what Canonical is doing with Mir). If that is the case, i hope GTK+ and Qt do the same.
                    A certain sense of me feels that there's something wrong with this. Canonical is criticized for not contributing upstream. But when they do offer something upstream, it should be excluded if it doesn't fit the community's "vision" of what the preferred software should be.

The politics involved is pretty ridiculous, and I can understand why a company wants to just play the lone ranger role.

Comment

Working...
                    X