Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Shuttleworth Goes Blogging On Ubuntu Defense

Default Mark Shuttleworth Goes Blogging On Ubuntu Defense

Phoronix: Mark Shuttleworth Goes Blogging On Ubuntu Defense

Mark Shuttleworth hadn't written on his blog -- where he posts just a few times per year -- since last December. That changed this morning though where he's already written two separate blog posts to come to the defense about Ubuntu rolling releases and saying criticism is misplaced about Canonical not taking care of the Ubuntu community...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMyMDQ

Angry

Removing phoronix from my rss reader for good. Your articles have become complete trash, bye!

Offtopic. Nvidia going Mir? Fragmentation has started:
    Doesn't this mean Nvidia is taking this change seriously? Meaning soon we won't need X anymore. That's a good thing. What about Wayland though? Have the Wayland developers managed to reel in AMD or Nvidia? I'm pretty sure Wayland has Intel's backing, but you can correct me if I'm wrong here.

Quote Originally Posted by sabun View Post
    Doesn't this mean Nvidia is taking this change seriously? Meaning soon we won't need X anymore. That's a good thing. What about Wayland though? Have the Wayland developers managed to reel in AMD or Nvidia? I'm pretty sure Wayland has Intel's backing, but you can correct me if I'm wrong here.
    Quote Originally Posted by from Thomas (Mir developer) in comments of last linked article
    Canonical and NVIDIA are looking into extending EGL such that topics like multiple GPU and output devices (i.e., monitors) are included within the specification. So yes, the collaboration is investigative at this point but nevertheless very real with the goal to enable Mir on all NVIDIA GPUs.
    Getting EGL into the nvidia driver also means support for Wayland (from what i have heard anyway). But like he says it's all 'investigative' at this point...

..and yes, Intel works on Wayland. (among others).

I don't like what is going on with Mir/Canonical but if we can somehow get EGL support into the nvidia blob, i will be happy (in a pragmatic way) since this should enable me to drop Xorg on 2 of my machines and switch to Wayland, since wayland is getting close enough / good enough for my use on those machines.

I hope they convince nvidia, but on the flipside, hope canonical has to maintain all of their Mir support out of tree for the various toolkits. (no one even commented on the MESA mailing list about their Mir patchset, hopefully this is a sign that upstream doesn't appreciate what Canonical is doing with Mir). If that is the case, i hope GTK+ and Qt do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by sabun View Post
    That's correct.
    But a split of display servers between hw vendors, would only make Xorg's position stronger. Xorg will be the only one capable of supporting all drivers and all software. The creation of a competing display server will only hamper the replacement of X server, and it is happening right now just a day after Mir's announcement.

In a nutshell, a split in such a basic component is bad from every perspective.
    "Mir" such an ironic name.

Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    Getting EGL into the nvidia driver also means support for Wayland (from what i have heard anyway).
    Not necessarily. According to the blog EGL has to be extended to support the display server. I don't think things are going to work right, if nvidia doesn't officially targets Wayland.

Quote Originally Posted by talvik View Post
    Not necessarily. According to the blog EGL has to be extended to support the display server. I don't think things are going to work right, if nvidia doesn't officially targets Wayland.
    You aren't understanding what the blog said then, and because of this what you are saying is coming off as FUD :\ ... EGL has to be extended for Mir, specifically, in order to handle multiple outputs/display, etc... Wayland already does this stuff, without extending EGL.

I've heard several Xorg/Wayland developers say EGL + extensions are what is needed to support Wayland. Nvidia adding a few bits for Mir shouldn't impact whether or not Wayland will run using an EGL-enabled (and compliant) nvidia blob.
    Last edited by ninez; 03-07-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cake View Post
    Removing phoronix from my rss reader for good. Your articles have become complete trash, bye!
    Michael must be quite pissed off about Mir, he choose some great pictures of Shuttleworth.
    But the article isn't inaccurate and the Canonical and community conflict is news worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by ninez View Post
    I hope they convince nvidia, but on the flipside, hope canonical has to maintain all of their Mir support out of tree for the various toolkits. (no one even commented on the MESA mailing list about their Mir patchset, hopefully this is a sign that upstream doesn't appreciate what Canonical is doing with Mir). If that is the case, i hope GTK+ and Qt do the same.
    A certain sense of me feels that there's something wrong with this. Canonical is criticized for not contributing upstream. But when they do offer something upstream, it should be excluded if it doesn't fit the community's "vision" of what the preferred software should be.

The politics involved is pretty ridiculous, and I can understand why a company wants to just play the lone ranger role.