Thread: Fedora 19 Alpha Arrives With Many New Features

Default Fedora 19 Alpha Arrives With Many New Features

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Alpha Arrives With Many New Features

The first alpha/development release of Fedora 19 "Schrödinger's Cat" is now available after having been challenged by a delay...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM1NzU

Default Syslinux

It's good to see they have included syslinux as an option. Not everyone likes the over engineered/bloated grub2.

Default XFce 4.10?

Hmm, isn't that already in F18? (checks yum) yep, it's already in there.

Quote Originally Posted by willmore View Post
    Hmm, isn't that already in F18? (checks yum) yep, it's already in there.
    "along with existing options like Xfce 4.10 and LXDE"

Aw, Radeon 7000 support is still alphaish ... I really shouldn't have bought that, thanks AMD ...

Quote Originally Posted by remm View Post
    Aw, Radeon 7000 support is still alphaish ... I really shouldn't have bought that, thanks AMD ...
    Hey, the entire F19 release is still an alpha too. By the time it's actually released, the Radeon 7000 support may be better.

Basically Fedora is an interesting option to try lastest oss drivers but i miss somehow the infrastructure to switch between other binary drivers which have been installed in parallel. That works with Debian and Ubuntu (the Debian way is faster however as it does not need ldconfig). Maybe i install it anyway to get used to rpm again - at least there should be Secure Boot support out of the box to try...

Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Basically Fedora is an interesting option to try lastest oss drivers but i miss somehow the infrastructure to switch between other binary drivers which have been installed in parallel. That works with Debian and Ubuntu (the Debian way is faster however as it does not need ldconfig). Maybe i install it anyway to get used to rpm again - at least there should be Secure Boot support out of the box to try...
    Can you please take a look here? http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...g-through-BIOS

Quote Originally Posted by remm View Post
    You buy AMD for Linux AFTER they improve their drivers or else you have only yourself to blame.