Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.04 Won't Get X.Org Server 1.14

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.04 Won't Get X.Org Server 1.14

Some of the X/Mesa plans for Ubuntu 13.04 and the future of Ubuntu graphics were announced today. Mesa 9.1 is coming but Ubuntu 13.04 won't be getting X.Org Server 1.14, in part due to Canonical's focus on Mir...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

only on OSes made by clowns you can't install new drivers after the new hardware comes out after the distro release. this is why RHEL/Centos is crap for enterprise because you have to run legacy hardware or tinker with compiling kernel modules.

Comment

...swirling around the bowl...

Comment

I am amazed! How low will they go? They won't support something on a Linux Desktop distro because it might have some negative impact for (inexistant) tablet/phone users? LOL!

Comment

I think this is good news for Amd owners who use ubuntu:
          they will be able to upgrade when 13.04 is ready and not wait 3 months to have an amd driver that install properly with the new X server

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
            they will be able to upgrade when 13.04 is ready and not wait 3 months to have an amd driver that install properly with the new X server
            My thoughts too. After 2 being patient a couple of months with 12.10 and AMD drivers not working, I had to rollback to 12.04 to try Steam and have a working system in general. IMO, since Valve entered the game, Ubuntu should be more conservative from now on.

Comment

I'm so glad I'm capable of using distros other than Ubuntu. Canonical is going downhill.

Comment

Fucking AMD

Fucking AMD is holding back progression and innovation.

Nvidia already have new drivers out long ago to support the latest X.
                Why cant AMD?

Now, we're all stuck with an old version of X for another 8 months.
                Thanks assholes! Fucking AMD!

Even as a non-owner of AMD hardware, you still get fucked by AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                  I had to downgrade to Xorg 1.12 because legacy Catalyst won't work with 1.13

Comment

"We're also starting to balance our time between X and Mir, so if this gives us any extra time then we can contribute help towards Mir development."
                    "CONTRIBUTE HELP" for whom? Contribute and help for themself of course! Rather than helping and contributing for Wayland.
                    Well, Canonical being on the ego trip, suffering from the "not-invented-here" syndrom.

Comment

Working...
                    X