Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu To Investigate Digital Rights Management

Phoronix: Ubuntu To Investigate Digital Rights Management

With Ubuntu preparing itself to land on tablets, smart-phones, and other consumer devices, Canonical is beginning to look at ways to support multimedia content protected by Digital Rights Management...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DRM? Thats a "nice" anti-feature where Qt offers excellent support! They have done it for years in a closed up fashion! Yay..

Comment

The Linux community will hate them for this, and for good reason, but if they were smart, they'd just leave it up to the new HTML5 DRM standard, which means others will get the blame for "having DRM on Linux" through HTML5. That, however, means they'll have to wait until a lot of content is HTML5-ready. Netflix should adopt the HTML5 DRM very soon, since they were actually one of the main supporters of it.

Comment

Right now Diablo III and SimCity players wait 30 Minutes at least while requiring permanent internet connection.
        SHIT NO! DRM on Linux in core components = SELFDESTRUCTION

Comment

Restrictions

DRM is about restrictions, not rights

Comment

Nasty week for the Ubuntu's reputation...

By the way, is DRM achivable in a FOSS environment? For me it only means easy circuvment.

Comment

Originally posted by karasu View Post
              Nasty week for the Ubuntu's reputation...

By the way, is DRM achivable in a FOSS environment? For me it only means easy circuvment.
              Buying legal apps done in proprietary way is not done due to DRM.
              Ask VALVE. No one is trying to circuvment Steam, unless he has serious reason.
              People choose Steam simply because their software is updated, maintained, in-game sessions cheater-protected and all social side also attached.
              They do not start to distribute games illegal way because DRM protects anything, they stay with Steam only due to service features it offers which are worthy it.

Comment

DRM was part of the reason I left Windows and migrated to Linux.

Comment

Right... I suppose it's time to start calling Ubuntu "Ubuntu/Linux", just like Android/Linux, to differentiate them from the rest of GNU/Linux.
                  On that note, since Sailfish is based on the Mer platform, which is based on GNU/Linux, I guess it should be called "Sailfish Mer/GNU/Linux"?

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                    DRM? Thats a "nice" anti-feature where Qt offers excellent support! They have done it for years in a closed up fashion! Yay..
                    QT is a GUI toolkit and has absolutely nothing to do with DRM, stop posting such nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                    X