Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 13.04 Will Be Released, Rolling Fate Unknown

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.04 Will Be Released, Rolling Fate Unknown

At the first day of Canonical's inaugural virtual Ubuntu Developers' Summit, it was decided to release Ubuntu 13.04 as scheduled. The fate of turning Ubuntu into a rolling release distribution for non-LTS releases is undecided...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

they really like to drum up hype and then have little to show for it

Comment

A rolling release might get me back into Ubuntu as my main OS again.

Comment

I'm about to give out hope and get into Arch. Would have done it already if I wasn't too lazy.

Comment

they really like to drum up hype and then have little to show for it

Comment

In Linux, programming and IT in general there are always some myths that tend to spread because most think "they know" and know shit...

One such myth is that a rolling release model equals instability. This is totally BS for anyone who has used a rolling release distro in the past. It makes me lose my hope for humanity each time some moron perpetuates this myth...

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              One such myth is that a rolling release model equals instability. This is totally BS for anyone who has used a rolling release distro in the past. It makes me lose my hope for humanity each time some moron perpetuates this myth...
              Indeed. Gentoo by default is boringly stable. They still have GRUB 2 marked as unstable, for instance.

Comment

"I am a
                transporter
                of the wasteland.

I am just
                making it up
                as I go along"

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  In Linux, programming and IT in general there are always some myths that tend to spread because most think "they know" and know shit...

This. +100

Comment

Why not have the universe repository be rolling?
                    While keeping the main repository the way it is?

Or keep software-installed-by-default (software shipped on the ISO image) the way it is, but user-installed-software be rolling?

Comment

Working...
                    X