Miguel de Icaza Leaves Linux For Apple OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by directhex View Post
    So let's hear your even more fevered tirade against Python (Exaile used 33% more RAM than Banshee in testing, Listen used almost 100% more).

Let's hear your frantic ranting against C++ and Javascript (Songbird)

Or maybe you'll do neither, because your argument is not based on reality (i.e. Banshee was the second lightest player tested), but on religion (ARGH MONO BAD ARGH)
    Nice try, troll. Songbird, Exaile are far more feature rich and way more responsive than banshee which is just a mono crap. Amarok is also far more responsive. A funny thing is there are dozens of sersious C and C++ applications while there's not even a single one serious .net or mono application.

Comment

The existence of C# apps on Linux, including but not limited to a significant portion of games available on Linux, kinda disproves you a bit here.
      Not at all. There's just a few crappy and bloated apps and nothing new come after them. Nothing serious and nothing interesting. A few games that NOT entirely written using mono? Stop kidding.

Comment

Indulge me. This forum software doesn't provide me with an easy way to see instances where you may have replied to me in other threads.
        Ok, that's fair, because I also don't follow every thread I was replying in.

Comment

• Originally posted by arokh View Post
          You can go on believing the Linux desktop is perfect if you want, the reality is very different.
          Linux is nearly perfect and far better than Windows or OS X when you don't care about every piece of FLOSS. Just focus on Linux/GNU/KDE/systemd/Wayland. This is perfect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
            A few games that NOT entirely written using mono? Stop kidding.
            Eh?

Several games are entirely written in Mono, including the hundred-plus-award-winning Bastion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
              Nice try, troll. Songbird, Exaile are far more feature rich and way more responsive than banshee which is just a mono crap. Amarok is also far more responsive. A funny thing is there are dozens of sersious C and C++ applications while there's not even a single one serious .net or mono application.
              Which features are in Exaile, which Banshee lacks, then, since you're the expert?

Be sure to compare to the list of features in Banshee but not Exaile, then see which list is longer.

If it's not 33% more features in Exaile than Banshee, then that 33% more RAM figure has only one explanation: Python bloat.

Comment

• Dear Miguel,

Thank you very much for leaving Linux. I hope your talents will as useful to Apple as they have been to Linux.

Again, thank you very much for leaving Linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by sabriah View Post
                  Dear Miguel,

Thank you very much for leaving Linux. I hope your talents will as useful to Apple as they have been to Linux.

Again, thank you very much for leaving Linux.
                  You mean you thank him as he helped to create a human usable interface where it was basically none?

To make MC and Gnumeric better? Or to use an environment that runs well on Linux to run Pinta, Banshee and MonoDevelop which some users (like myself) are using.

Say to me other OSS superstars in desktop area? I know that are many, but I can think just one other name out of my mind (with no disrespect to others): Aaron Seigo, the Nokia corporation backed guy. I like Matz as a great Ruby guy, but there is no GUI person I'm aware to be as popular and passionate about IT.

Comment

• this is a good news but i guess he might be back

Comment

• Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
                      Real Unix? Wrong, it's just a certified Unix (not that being it a real Unix makes an OS better). This is because it's based of a very piece a shit Unix-like OS with far less unix tools and capabilities then Linux. It's called FreeBSD. Thanks to it's crazy BSD license, Apple can steal BSD code and not have anyone know.
                      And that's less unix than a system based primarily on utilities from the GNU's Not Unix project? (I do agree that "real unix"/"certified unix" are rather irrelevant to quality, and OS X is not my idea of a good OS.) Of course, to be factual, OS X seems to have somewhat more GNU software than *BSD.

But just to be annoying, I'll point out that not having vi makes an OS not Unix.
                      BSD is not even a real unix, case they had to rewrite their OS after they were sued by USL cause they outright copied Unix. It turns out they were shit at rewritting a OS (while linus was good) su that the resulting 4.4BSD-lite was not an OS cause it could not boot.
                      Sued with a garbage lawsuit that forbade them to distribute without any good basis and settled out-of-court under terms that left almost all (out of 18,000 files, remove 3 and add notices to 70) of the source distributable.
                      Apple is not a supporter of UNIX standard, they are just giving thier scraps and shit to BSD who loves getting raped and taken advantage of.

BTW, the open group has got nothing to do while open source or linux. If fact they actually create closed software and work with proprietary unix companies. They only certify unix or unix-like systems if they are proprietary.
                      And to be fair: the Open Group also creates stuff like:
                      http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIxNTU (ICS is the maintainer, but the Open Group is the primary copyright owner)
                      and CDE (the Open Group recently relicensed to LGPL) and http://www.opengroup.org/dce/download/ (an older permissively-licensed version is a key part of Wine and Samba).

And they provide a free 12-month license to use their certification testsuite on any open source OS, upon request by the developers.
                      And they also provide/developed and contributed to the Linux Foundation free testsuites for LSB, FHS, and related certifications.
                      Wait, what did you say?

Comment

Working...
                      X