Miguel de Icaza Leaves Linux For Apple OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnc View Post
    In OS X you have basically a UNIX-like OS that isn't a turd. So it's no surprise to see even developers moving from Linux to OS X.
    OS X is turd as you can't download and install it on most computers and you can't add own patches because full source code isn't available.
    I'm sure there are many other features which are supported by Linux distros, but unsupported by OS X.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
      Anyone running a modern Linux distribution have hundreds of meg's worth of updates weekly if not daily, even if the updates concern parts of the system that you will never even touch.
      Nope, I don't. Maybe you are running the wrong distro.

Microsoft and Apple have fulltime employees doing research on UI design and usability and it shows.
      Yeah, we see the Metro interface coming from them.

Comment

Microsoft and Apple have fulltime employees doing research on UI design and usability and it shows.
        Shows what?
        Every person I've talked to about windows 8(actual normal people, not power-users or linux users) have called it a design disaster. When I bought my laptop, every negative review simply pointed to windows 8 being crap and unusable.

I guess it shows that microsoft vastly overpays their UI team.

Comment

Originally posted by vk512 View Post
          Thx, I made too much of a shortcut to mention how DRM-heavy is stuff sold on iTunes and how much you are then locked in as a customer.
          This isn't Microsoft.
          You can remove the iTunes from your Mac and many others Applications made by Apple. Apple don't forbid you to use other stores on your Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Nope, I don't. Maybe you are running the wrong distro.
            Both Fedora and Ubuntu (the largest distributions by far) constantly ship tons of useless updates.

Yeah, we see the Metro interface coming from them.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with Metro? It's designed for touch screens, and works great with those. If you have a keyboard & mouse, you can switch to clas

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
            Shows what?
            Every person I've talked to about windows 8(actual normal people, not power-users or linux users) have called it a design disaster.
            Did they use it with a touch screen?

I guess it shows that microsoft vastly overpays their UI team.
            This is the kind of attitude that keeps digging Linux into a shithole. If you can't learn from the best, and instead insist on your own broken ways then you will certainly not go anywhere. Complain all you want about Microsoft and Apple, but they do a lot of things right.

Linux devs all want to go in their own direction instead of pulling in the same direction.

Comment

Did they use it with a touch screen?
              Irrelevant. Touch is useless fluff for >12" screens. Ergonomical nightmare. Any interface that depends on touch input to be usable (anywhere besides than smartphones or tablets) is a worthless piece of shit.

Windows 8 is a disaster and a failure, this is agreed by everyone except the most diehard windows fanbois. Sales figures are so horrible microsoft tries to pull a fast one and do a "second release" whatever that even means - if it's released it's released.

Even Unity is better than windows ache, and that's not saying much.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                OS X is turd as you can't download and install it on most computers
                That always was a big problem for the most versions of the Unix and Apple OS X
                isn't an exception. Theoretically you can install Linux on every Computer, but it isn't always an easy task.

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                I'm sure there are many other features which are supported by Linux distros, but unsupported by OS X.
                For example?

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  DRM. Netflix and co claim it's absolutely mandatory, but Hulu does just fine without it.
                  It's not only them. Most cable companies that offer online streaming to a PC now do so with silverlight. Pissed me off to no end that the cable/telco companies here started offering on demand to a PC only to make Silverlight a requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                    For example?
                    OS X doesn't have packager manager with official and unofficial repositories.
                    I can't make full list of missing features because installation isn't possible.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                      Irrelevant.
                      What? It's irrelevant if he used mouse & keyboard on a touch interface? It's like trying to skateboard in high heels.

Touch is useless fluff for >12" screens. Ergonomical nightmare. Any interface that depends on touch input to be usable (anywhere besides than smartphones or tablets) is a worthless piece of shit.
                      Windows 8 is designed for both touch screens and classic setup. They unified their platform, devs will be able to develop once and run "everywhere". Don't blame your ignorance on MS.

Windows 8 is a disaster and a failure, this is agreed by everyone except the most diehard windows fanbois. Sales figures are so horrible microsoft tries to pull a fast one and do a "second release" whatever that even means - if it's released it's released.
                      I'm not a Windows user myself, just had a quick look at Windows 8 but it does look promising. I don't know where you get from that it's a disaster/failure, do a google search for windows 8 reviews, most of them are overly positive.

Some of the first hits:

Even Unity is better than windows ache, and that's not saying much.
                      You got it backwards, Unity is a disaster agreed upon by everyone. Canonical wants to do the same thing as MS though, unify their desktop/tablet/phone experience etc. Problem is that the rest of the Linux distributions aren't going to follow, so more fragmentation is incoming.

Comment

Working...
                      X