Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valve's Steam Box Will Most Likely Use An X.Org Server

Hybrid View

Default Valve's Steam Box Will Most Likely Use An X.Org Server

Phoronix: Valve's Steam Box Will Most Likely Use An X.Org Server

In the flurry of polarized discussions that have emerged since yesterday's Ubuntu Mir announcement, some have speculated that Valve's interactions with Ubuntu may have had a hand in them developing their own display server. This is most likely not the case and the first-generation Linux-based Steam Box from Valve will almost surely be running an X.Org Server...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxODc

That makes sense, Michael.
    I overlooked the following piece of information in yesterday's IRC log: RAOF (Canonical employee)

00:52 <soreau> RAOF: So I'm steam and I want to port my client to wayland. '.. or was it Mir.. or was it, wait lemme check phoronix..'. Now what API do I choose for the official proprietary steam client that doesn't use X?
    00:53 <RAOF> Well, if you're Valve, you probably use X for another couple of years.
    00:53 <RAOF> Then you see what's out there.

Default Come on steam - grow some cojones!

Gabe - get a grip man! You steered your entire ship to Linux from Windows, and now you're going to go with a 30+ year old X server? For Christ's sake, bite the bullet and help Intel and those guys who slave to their Wayland cause man. Give a little of that flush green happiness to the Wayland/Linux community. Take one for the team, do it for the people and set the world free - stop being concerned with JUST Steam's bottom line, mmkay now?

It's fairly obvious that Valve will use an NVidia GPU, there's simply no other credible choice for pure gaming (meh ...). Although a Haswell would have "ok" performance for 720p, it wouldn't be impressive enough for that market ...

I work at a sales\repair shop and I could build a Steam box. Anybody can. I could choose to use Linux or even Windows. If I chose Windows I'd have to include that into the cost of the box of course...

The point being that you guys are in here acting like there will only be a single Steam box... And that isnt gonna be how it is.. There will be plenty of options to choose from. I'm sure some will use AMD APU's, others Will use Intel APU's and Still others will use nVidia dicrete GPU's. Some will be cheaper than others and some will be more capable than others.

There isnt going to be a SteamBox II..... Your hardware either meets the requirements for the games you own or it doesnt. Minimum requirements will vary game by game just as it does today.
    Last edited by duby229; 03-05-2013 at 08:44 PM.

( unless i have missed an article on this... )

I wonder why Michael hasn't bothered to cover the H/W aspect of what Valve appears to be using for 'Steambox'??

it was covered all over CES 2013, tons of Youtube videos about it. Xi3 (OEM) and Valve were both displaying 'Piston' ~ developmental H/W, that will likely be Steam box. Xi3's hardware is x86_64 based and is completely modular and definitely cool and has been fully-tested for running Steam/games in 'big picture mode'...

interestingly, the H/W does NOT use Nvidia, but instead AMD APU. (i mention this, since people keep talking about Valve using Nvidia ~ which would make sense, but i haven't seen any evidence for that... The only arrangement that i have heard of between Valve and nVidia is the hand-held console (called SHIELD) that can stream your steam games from your PC onto your T.V.

Coverage on both (but mostly the Xi3 stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO7ogelj3Xo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG6k...=results_video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isfqiYG7wiI

and a couple news articles from Xi3, who say their products/prototypes will be the Steam Box:

http://www.xi3.com/news.php?id=848
    http://www.xi3.com/news.php?id=887

Quote Originally Posted by Xi3 news article
    Think of Valve's Steam Box as a PC. Its early prototypes might be squished into a small cuboid at the moment, they might be more at home under your television than your monitor, and - most shockingly - it might not be running Windows: but it is a PC.

The Steam Box is designed to play PC games. Specifically, it's designed to play Steam games: Steam being the developer behind Valve's proprietary game download service, blessed with a good chunk of the platform's best ever titles.

It's Valve spearheading the Steam Box concept, and Valve that showed the first mock-ups of what an eventual Steam Box would look like at CES 2013.
    ...if michael/phoronix hasn't covered this stuff - i think that is just hilarious...

it also appears that Steam box will not be locked down in any way ~ so you can run whatever OS you like, but will likely ship Linux + Steam by default.

cheerz
    Last edited by ninez; 03-05-2013 at 09:37 PM.

I sincerely hope that Valve will use X.Org and that others will follow suit. Even if this will postpone our migration to Wayland for a decade. It's a small price to pay to see Canonical crash and burn.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
    Gabe - get a grip man! You steered your entire ship to Linux from Windows, and now you're going to go with a 30+ year old X server?
    Neither Wayland nor MIR is ready for daily use, why should anyone at this point use it?

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalBrother View Post
    Neither Wayland nor MIR is ready for daily use, why should anyone at this point use it?
    Valve has sufficient heft (e.g. $$$) to influence NVidia's efforts in assisting with the driver development for Steam's console. They can certainly influence it to help with Wayland - the only difference between those two contexts is the motive - one is for profit the other one is benevolence.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinN View Post
    Gabe - get a grip man! You steered your entire ship to Linux from Windows, and now you're going to go with a 30+ year old X server? For Christ's sake, bite the bullet and help Intel and those guys who slave to their Wayland cause man. Give a little of that flush green happiness to the Wayland/Linux community. Take one for the team, do it for the people and set the world free - stop being concerned with JUST Steam's bottom line, mmkay now?
    What about supporting Ubuntu, Valve's "favorite version of Linux", when they swap to Mir?

I have to wonder whether this will set a precedent. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in my understanding, if the developer of an application chooses to support Mir, they lose customers using non-Ubuntu distros. If they support Wayland, they lose customers using Ubuntu. However, both Wayland and Mir (will) have backwards compatibility with X, making it the only option allowing you to sell your product to all Linux users. If I were to hazard a guess, Canonical may have, in dividing Linux's desktops between Mir and Wayland, ensured that the continued use of X is a necessity.
    Last edited by Kite; 03-05-2013 at 07:48 PM.