No announcement yet.

Suggest Ubuntu Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GNU/Linux: Trisquel is a nice distro based on Ubuntu. Made specifically to remove all proprietary stuff, and keep true to the Four Freedoms of GNU ;P

FreeBSD: PC-BSD for out-of-the-box-ness (note though: everything in the app cafe is *not* everything that is available for installation.) and GhostBSD for sommat nice and simple.

Comment

Go with openSuse or Mageia. OpenSuse yast (control panel) and Mageia Control Panel is top notch

Comment

Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
        PC-BSD is has no out-of-the-box-ness retard
        So your choice of Desktop Environment, & Window Manager, & extra tools for server work, && additional web browsers and more during installation is not out-of-the-box? Explain this, if you please?

It's a ??so badly configured that it often does not work and requires loads of configuring in the end.
        If thou coulds't explain how you mean...
        BSDstats.org showed that in 2007-2008 PCBSD made up ~70% of all BSD while FreeBSD makes up ~20%, today PCBSD makes up ~16% while FreeBSD makes up 80%. It's not that FreeBSD usage increased but rather, both have decreased but PCBSD has decreased quicker and is going the way of DesktopBSD. EPIC FAIL.
        About as relevant as DistroWatch's stats on the most popular distro. Ubuntu still reings supreme, despite it showing that Mint is in the lead.

With FreeBSD the number of software avalible in ports is pathetic compared with most linux distro
        Debian:23143 FreeBSD:24151
        Hmmm...

and also they are all out of date (GNOME is the prime example).
        Not counting what has difficulty porting over due to its deep integration with GNU/Linux: KDE: latest version, FireFox: latest version, XFCE, LXDE, Chromium, Blender, everything-that-does-not-have-deep-integration-with-GNU/Linux: Latest version. Those who have used FreeBSD in recent years know this ;P

Also GhostBSD is broken, buggy
        ....How? If you could explain any of your claims you might just get somewhere.

Conclusion: BSD poeple are a bunch of ****** pathetic losers who can't achieve anything but crap

Leaving out the fact that Netflix and Yahoo use FreeBSD for their servers and that Apple uses FreeBSD coding in their kernel, aye?

Have a good day sir xD

Comment

manjaro linux. it is to arch linux what ubuntu is to debian. i use arch myself, not manjaro, so i can't comment on it first hand but i've heard almost nothing but good things about it so far.

Comment

If you don't need bleeding edge (or even modern) Debian Wheezy is coming soon. If you really really don't care about new stuff use Debian Squeeze. It's stable as stink & still uses good ol' gnome2. Very easy to make an attractive productive environment. Biggest issue for me is Steam won't install...meh. Debian is ubuntu without the schizophrenia.

Otherwise take the time to learn Arch or use one of it's friendly derivatives. It's like gentoo but a bit kinder. I only ditched Arch when gnome3 entered the repos, otherwise it was pretty solid. I ran it for 2 years without major issue. Rolling releases are much nicer than backing up & reinstalling.

ya...so as mainstream distros go I suggest either stubborn Debian or Arch.

I totally miss Arch

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
              Go with openSuse or Mageia.
              +1
              Especially if you are going to use KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                Seriously...

Okay so Mint leaves that bad Ubuntu taste in your mouth? Arch unnerves you? Well that restricts your greatly.

KDE based
                Chakra
                OpenSuse (12.3 releases soon)

Gnome
                Fedora
                Mageia
                PCLinuxOS

Since it's free try them all on a banger box or virtual machine and see if you dig any of them... if not. Windows 7 or OsX =) .
                Mageia and PCLinuxOS are both KDE based, and pretty well done too.

As for me, I use Fedora (with KDE) myself. I like the somewhat bleeding edge packages (but not Arch-level bleeding edge). yum keeps your system up-to-date. SELinux out of the box is nice, although some people think it's a pain in the ass. Once you configure it it's pretty much trouble-free and provides much better security.

I've got a little script that installs the various extras that that make the user experience much nicer. RPM fusion repo for codecs and nVidia driver, infinality for fonts, also Adobe flash and Google chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Hermit View Post
                  Mageia and PCLinuxOS are both KDE based, and pretty well done too.

As for me, I use Fedora (with KDE) myself. I like the somewhat bleeding edge packages (but not Arch-level bleeding edge). yum keeps your system up-to-date. SELinux out of the box is nice, although some people think it's a pain in the ass. Once you configure it it's pretty much trouble-free and provides much better security.

I've got a little script that installs the various extras that that make the user experience much nicer. RPM fusion repo for codecs and nVidia driver, infinality for fonts, also Adobe flash and Google chrome.
                  Sort distribution in kde or gnome groups is silly when they have both desktops

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                    Sort distribution in kde or gnome groups is silly when they have both desktops
                    Yes all of them support both KDE and GNOME (and others like XFCE, LXDE), but there's a default, and presumably it receives more attention and polish than the others. Otherwise there's no reason for distros like Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu to exist.
                    Last edited by Hermit; 15 March 2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                      I like fedora, once you add the rpmfusion repo for multimedia stuff and the infinality repo for good font rendering its great I'm currently using fedora 18 with gnome 3 and it runs great, very solid; surprisingly actually more stable than ubuntu 12.10 did for me and this is a system76 laptop (all my hardware works out of the box in fedora 18 too, in ubuntu i needed to install the system76 driver to get the card reader and brightness keys to work)
                      Hmm there are 2 points of fedora that extremly sucks 1. the unstable version is not very good, I had to deactivate Selinux to be able to login, then in the browser when I tried to go to google.de it does not work SSL Handshake Error, and I dont talk about some fancy chromium, which you have to use some special repository or something, I talk about the standard epiphany browser. And of cource then postfix did not work too, think also SSL Problem but not 100% shure.

That massive Problems, that no ubuntu beta or alpha has is the one thing, the bad or not existend forums and wikis so you dont find anyone having the same problem than you have is then the big problem.

You could say, k its your problem, just wait for a stable version of fedora. But then look on the Release Shedule, because they did totaly louse up their 18er release or at least the big delay of it, 19 comes way to late. Gnome 2.18 comes out in 12 days, but Fedora 18 (with that gnome version) comes in 2,5 months, its nearly as old as debian, ok debian still tops everything in being 10 times more old... cant be beaten by anything at that point ^^

For KDE people:

TANGLU.ORG
                      Last edited by blackiwid; 15 March 2013, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X