Canonical's Mir Project Retracts Wayland Criticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Until it forces mir on everybody and everybody will use it. They have push, wayland doesn't. Most users don't care so most users will use mir since canonical says so. Wayland will be dead on arrival for the simple fact that Ubuntu is the most popular and Canonical will choose mir over wayland.
    That's really not true. Red Hat is the 5,000 pound gorilla in the room when it comes to Linux, especially when it comes to the commercial deployments where all the money is. They've got way more sway with hardware manufacturers, etc. than Ubuntu does.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      That's really not true. Red Hat is the 5,000 pound gorilla in the room when it comes to Linux, especially when it comes to the commercial deployments where all the money is. They've got way more sway with hardware manufacturers, etc. than Ubuntu does.
      That might be true for servers, could even be argued for desktops. Definitely not the case for phones and tablets though. I suspect that Shuttleworth's vision here is that phones will /be/ your PC inside of 5 years and this move, he hopes, puts Ubuntu in the driving seat as that transition takes place.

Comment

Originally posted by scaine View Post
        That might be true for servers, could even be argued for desktops. Definitely not the case for phones and tablets though. I suspect that Shuttleworth's vision here is that phones will /be/ your PC inside of 5 years and this move, he hopes, puts Ubuntu in the driving seat as that transition takes place.
        Google/Android is that on phones and tablets.

I understand that Ubuntu is trying to get into that market, but they are the tiny upstart right now. Not dictating terms to the competition.

Comment

The number one reason for Mir

Their technical reasoning is falling apart and they are taking a huge project with an inexperienced team. I don't think it's NIH syndrome, everything is pointing to copyright.

They want complete ownership of the copyright for the DS.
          Maybe to have leverage with HW vendors or dealing with proprietary sw.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Google/Android is that on phones and tablets.

I understand that Ubuntu is trying to get into that market, but they are the tiny upstart right now. Not dictating terms to the competition.
            No, I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about Android, or mobile /as it is now/. I'm talking about in 5 years time when you'll only own a mobile and it will /be/ your PC. I'm guessing, but given their Ubuntu-For-Android project, I think that when this transition takes place, Ubuntu will be the only vendor with an offering that's sensible, and consistent.

It's a big if, but if it does happen, they'll make everyone else look clunky.

Google might still surprise here too, but I've used ChromeOS and it's hugely underwhelming.

Comment

No, I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about Android, or mobile /as it is now/. I'm talking about in 5 years time when you'll only own a mobile and it will /be/ your PC.
              I've been saying for years that there would be convergence in a way that mobility would effectively replace the desktop PC long before smart phones got where they are now. It was very clear to me this would happen as the increasingly smaller process manufacturing and slow to progress battery tech reached a sweet spot allowing for all intents and purposes a decent PC from 2005-ish era to fit into a phone or tablet sized form factor. The upcoming quad and octa core processors should be pretty close.

The first company to have a seamless transition from phone sized form factor to tablets and monitors will be the next king for a while. Windows 8 is _not_ it. And I do expect that this is their primary motivator. If not, then I can't even begin to guess what the hell they're thinking.

Comment

For desktops, NetworkManager, Dbus, PulseAudio to name a few, largely used on other distributions, are heavily contributed by Red Hat.

Comment

I guess Ubuntu will likely lose more users with moves like this, but lately, after reading these forums and comments like them, I wonder if that's actually a good thing. The more hate I see against Ubuntu, the less I'm tempted to start distro-hopping again. I sure as hell as don't love everything Canonical does, but they're the only ones I see trying to do better.
                  It seems that there has always been a certain jealously that Canonical was able to come in with Ubuntu and in a few years become the most popular Linux desktop distro. And then there are the snooters who sneer because it's not l33t enough to be Linux. But in my case Ubuntu brought me back to Linux because it's about the only non-idiotic distro out there from an end-user's perspective.

But the past year or so hasn't looked so great as it seems they're losing focus on that desktop experience. Granted some of this stuff got foisted on them from the GNOME-skulls which kind of forced their hands in some ways, but overall it seems quality is dramatically decreasing and many decisions are baffling.

At this point it isn't too far off from all the other awful distros out there.

Comment

Actually, this entire thing is happening just to generate more ad revenue at phoronix. Nice work, Canonical!

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                      Actually, this entire thing is happening just to generate more ad revenue at phoronix. Nice work, Canonical!
                      Well, this is more logical than the technical reasons behind mir. Maybe they even have a revenue sharing deal with phoronix.

Comment

Working...
                      X