Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Videos Of Unity Running On Mir Via X Server

Phoronix: Videos Of Unity Running On Mir Via X Server

Canonical has begun posting videos of Mir in action. While Mir itself doesn't do much yet, a video by one of the Mir developers shows Unity running on Mir. But it's running Unity through an X Server via the "XMir" project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LOL. Everyone on the OMGUbuntu forums is like: "1 day after the release and Mir is already running Unity Desktop!!".
    Thank you for this post, hopefully it will clear things up for some of those folks.
    Last edited by F i L; 05 March 2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

I'm interested to see how Valve postures, I would think they would of have to known about Mir seeing that Steam "Officially Supports" and works with Ubuntu. Nvidia's support for X is on par with Windows in terms of performance parity and X isn't just going to "Go Away" anytime soon. Of course, the up incomer Wayland is out in the wild showing signs of progress but without the real backing it needs. Time will tell but I have my money on the old workhorse X.

Comment

Why oh why some people mention valve, nvidia. WHY WOULD THEY CARE AND SUPPORT SOME ALPHA STAGE CRAP THAT IT'S NOT EVEN READY FOR USE? Damn, i usually don't post here with angry comments but i'm just sick of this retarded bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
          I'm interested to see how Valve postures, I would think they would of have to known about Mir seeing that Steam "Officially Supports" and works with Ubuntu. Nvidia's support for X is on par with Windows in terms of performance parity and X isn't just going to "Go Away" anytime soon. Of course, the up incomer Wayland is out in the wild showing signs of progress but without the real backing it needs. Time will tell but I have my money on the old workhorse X.
          Have you tried wayland and Weston? I think you feel the age of X pretty soon when you play around with it.

Originally posted by F i L View Post
          LOL. Everyone on the OMGUbuntu forums is like: "1 day after the release and Mir is already running Unity Desktop!!".
          Thank you for this post, hopefully it will clear things up for some of those folks.
          I author of the article on omgubuntu wrote it was with xmir though.
          Last edited by Akka; 05 March 2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
            Not that I support Ubuntu making Mir but, NVIDIA's optimizations for Steam are independent of X. The optimizations being done by NVIDIA are for their OpenGL implementation which, assuming they decide to make backend support for Mir, will still be applicable. In fact, most of NVIDIA's optimizations are applicable for even Windows if you run the game using OpenGL.

Comment

It's moments like these that make me a long term UBUNTU basher proud...

OTOH....i read at OMGubuntu someone say:

Subhadip Ghosh > kazade ? 2 hours ago −
              In one of the interviews, some one from Canonical said in recent past that it's not about Wayland not providing them what they need, but it's about what Wayland is also providing them that they don't need and they just can't ask Wayland to scrap all those just because they don't need it. I guess that was the main reason.

I start to feel that there is indeed a Valve finger on all this...

1. The moment that Valve started to support Linux....FALSE....the moment that Valve started to support UBUNTU....and in special 12.04 *LTS*

2. The moment this MIR project started (BTW, LP: No , the Soviet/Russian Mir didn't crashed in Ocean by accident or design failure...it was on purpose because Russians no longer had money for it and were more interested in the ISS anyway....and at least they didn't F++K UP like NASA almost did with Skylab not to mention the Skylab short live compared wqith Mir).

3. The apparent comment of a MIR dev about the true reasons....like Wayland scrapped lot's of stuff not needed any more in Linux from X, i guess, Cannonical wanted even more things scrapped to make it even leaner...

Makes to reach (possibly completly wrong the) following conclusions...
              It's all related with Valve.

Valve doesn't want Linux as fast as Windows....doesn't want Linux slightly faster than Windows...they want it WAY FASTER than Windows.

...and because UBUNTU 12.04 LTS will live for 5 years and it's the official supported distro , MIR devs have time to iron out the quirks/flaws of MIR.

Think about it, if Valve (and possibly AMD *and* NVIDIA) didn't kinda sanction this MIR project non-officially , and taking in account the MIR secret development, it would be easy for Cannonical scrap MIR w/o anyone ever know it now that Wayland is near completion avoid embarrassing moments if they fail with MIR (not to mention take the risk of piss off Valve) .

It's all about Valve, Gaming and SteamBox (might not be in a 1st release of SteamBox but , if it delivers, it will be in it eventually ).

Comment

It's also about Moon Nazis.

Comment

Impressed already. They have xMir, and Android driver play in already going. I definitely can see them getting the required features done over the next 5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    It's also about Moon Nazis.
                    Moon Nazis i dunno....but if includes Zombie Nazis, it will be a smashing hit !!!

Anything with Zombie Nazis is a success

Comment

Working...
                    X