Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Announces Mir Back-End For Mainline Mesa

Phoronix: Canonical Announces Mir Back-End For Mainline Mesa

A day after announcing the Mir display server as their custom replacement for X.Org/Wayland within the Ubuntu world, Canonical is now pushing for the Mesa back-end that was developed behind closed doors over the past half-year to be integrated into mainline Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this general EGL things that can be used by other stuff too?

Or is this Mir-specific stuff that can only be used by Mir?

I think Canonical should just drop Mir and use Wayland instead, or try to re-use as much as code as possible instead of NIH.

Comment

If Canonical continue to make such radical movements will likely to blow up entier linux ecosystem, shrouded into big chunks.

Comment

Great..

I really hate seeing such segmentation in the ecosystem.
        X11 is old and crusty... Wayland was a solution to that. Throwing another display manager in the mix I think is bad long term (unless Mir is so awesome that everyone focuses on it vs wayland)

Given Ubuntu's track record as of late... my money is on Wayland.

Plus.. Who knows if native Mir stuff is going to be compatible with X11 and wayland... Stuff like steam for Ubuntu may not run on anything but Ubuntu in the future

Comment

So, correct me if I'm wrong, now the Mesa devs have to sift through 8 months worth of work because Canonical did this behind closed doors and now decide to dump the lot into Mesa? What are the chances they're going to be told to go fsck themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Phoronix: Canonical Announces Mir Back-End For Mainline Mesa

A day after announcing the Mir display server as their custom replacement for X.Org/Wayland within the Ubuntu world, Canonical is now pushing for the Mesa back-end that was developed behind closed doors over the past half-year to be integrated into mainline Mesa...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxODM
            Canonical is very good at marketing. They are timing their press releases so people keep talking about this new and exciting display server which is vapourware at this moment. There is a buzz as if something important were happening, and so far it isn't

Comment

Oh goodie. Now every time some program gets updated and the news gets posted here, there will be not only people asking whether it works on Wayland, but also people asking whether it works on Mir, too. Fun times.

Comment

I hope Mesa developers will just REFUSE to merge all Mir-related patches.

Comment

Originally posted by LEW21 View Post
                  I hope Mesa developers will just REFUSE to merge all Mir-related patches.
                  Hopefully Qt and GTK will also refuse to mainline the changes.
                  The sooner Mir dies, the less damage it will cause.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
                    Hopefully Qt and GTK will also refuse to mainline the changes.
                    The sooner Mir dies, the less damage it will cause.
                    This is best picture of so-called "FOSS Community". Hate, jealous, hypocrisy and IBC (Invented By Canonical) syndrome. If Mir will be successful, then it is only GOOD for everyone. If not - it will fail, so who cares? Go on Canonical, show what you can do and don't look at jealous and hating guys just because you do not want to use their code. Ubuntu is your distro and if Wayland does not fulfill your expectations and forces compromises just don't use it.
                    Last edited by Siekacz; 05 March 2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X