No announcement yet.

Canonical Announces Mir Back-End For Mainline Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far not a single reply on the mesa list...

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Cheers!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Is this general EGL things that can be used by other stuff too?

Or is this Mir-specific stuff that can only be used by Mir?

I think Canonical should just drop Mir and use Wayland instead, or try to re-use as much as code as possible instead of NIH.
        Canonical usually only contributes uptream patches to support they own stuff without engaging with the community.

Very much the same Microsoft did sending Hyper-V patches to the kernel for Azure support

Comment

Originally posted by Siekacz View Post
          This is best picture of so-called "FOSS Community". Hate, jealous, hypocrisy and IBC (Invented By Canonical) syndrome. If Mir will be successful, then it is only GOOD for everyone. If not - it will fail, so who cares? Go on Canonical, show what you can do and don't look at jealous and hating guys just because you do not want to use their code. Ubuntu is your distro and if Wayland does not fulfill your expectations and forces compromises just don't use it.
          That's because "FOSS Community" is about FOSS, but also about community, which implies cooperation and sufficiently open gouvernance. A project developed behind closed doors and then PR-forced on other members may well be GPL, it is not community friendly. At all.

It's not new, it's not canonical specific:
          - Tizen is code-dumped by Samsung, and the community has reduced its interest in it.
          - Android is open source but closed gouvernance, and the Linux community don't like it much either. Now that Google upstreams more of their changes upstream, things are getting a bit better.
          - Open-office anyone?
          and so on... you get what you ask for.

Comment

And still no reply on the mesa list...

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
              Canonical usually only contributes uptream patches to support they own stuff without engaging with the community.

Very much the same Microsoft did sending Hyper-V patches to the kernel for Azure support

IIRC Microsoft was in breach of the GPL with Hyper-V otherwise we never would of seen it.

Anyway....

Ubuntu, much like Android is trying to be a separate entity from other Distro's/flavors of Linux based Operating Systems.... This is fine, no problems here right?

Ubuntu can't make it's own platform like Android did atop the kernel, so they still swim in the FLOSS ocean getting free lunch along the way.... No problems here I guess most Distro's don't heavily contribute.. (considering the insane amount of them).

Ubuntu is trying to alter existing project, spitting on others, and using M$'s favorite tactic of spreading FUD... Yeah, well, hmm.

I wish Ubuntu well, on it's journey. They don't have the developer skill, time, nor resources to pull this off... of course I would love to eat my words and have a kick ass DS that's video accelerated EGL compliant and resource friendly, just don't think they can.

Comment

So much butthurt in this and other threads...

"They didn't hire right people", "They have no rescources", "They want to have control" (how can this be bad in any way?!). Canonical has the right people. Experience is not everything. Someimes experience screws everything, because you build thing as you used to in the past. First good decision, against so-called *experience*: they use C++(11) instead of pure C, what makes code much simplier and easier to maintain. They have much more people working on this (mor than wayland has) and they have faster development (9 months and support for 3D (over EGL), android drivers working, QMir backend, XMir...). They have enough resources to drive their own project in a way they want it to be. They don't have rescources to be huge patcher of GNOME, wayland, Qt, just to get things they want.

Projects goal-driven are much morte efficient than community-driven. People are leaving - too many cooks spoil the broth.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  I pointed that out that on out Mark Shuttleworth's blog, unfortunately my comment as been flagged :\

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    I pointed that out that on out Mark Shuttleworth's blog, unfortunately my comment as been flagged :\
                    IMHO it's great to see the mesa devs don't care to reply.

I know, there will be plenty of people being mad at this, saying this harms the FOSS community as it's based on misguided egoes, etc...
                    Let's face it, it's more likely that supporting Canonical after their recent foul play would harm the FOSS community around Wayland.

Comment

Instead of creating whole new display server, they could build unity atop wayland, just like kwin, gnome-shell, e17 and others would do. Wayland devs would be more than happy cooperating with Canonical to suit wayland protocol to their needs.. Thats the point of display server to be as universal as possible. With Mir, its possible that it will only power Unity, negating the whole purpose of general display server, which every distro can easily use

Comment

Working...
                      X