Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Proposal Made To Revamp Fedora Linux

Phoronix: A Proposal Made To Revamp Fedora Linux

A proposal has been submitted for comments that would revamp the way Red Hat's Fedora Linux distribution is developed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't Fedora supposed to be a unstable testing ground?

If you don't like unstable, then don't use Fedora Rawhide.
    If its still too unstable, use Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Comment

Rolling Release?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Rawhide were made stable enough for daily use, that would effectively transform Fedora into a rolling release distribution.

Actually, that would make Fedora either the first, or the highest profile distro to be both: It would be a 6 month release distribution, and it would be a rolling release distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Rawhide were made stable enough for daily use, that would effectively transform Fedora into a rolling release distribution.

Actually, that would make Fedora either the first, or the highest profile distro to be both: It would be a 6 month release distribution, and it would be a rolling release distribution.
        Definitely not the first. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed already exists.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          OpenSUSE Tumbleweed already exists.
          Ahh. Thanks for the info.

In any case, it does seem like this would turn Fedora also into a rolling release.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Fedora is stable "testing ground" and daily usable. The instability issues are grossly exaggerated.

Comment

It's so sad Fedora become such broken mess. It used to be quite nice distribution in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

If you don't like unstable, then don't use Fedora Rawhide.
                If its still too unstable, use Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
                nah you missed some steps.

If you are very adventurous and you are also not afraid of ruining your OS every few days with a software update, use Fedora Rawhide.
                If you are less adventurous, use the current Fedora alpha or beta release (sometimes like currently this option is not available though).
                if you are even less adventerous, use the current stable Fedora release.
                If stability is very important, use RHEL-based distros or Debian.
                Last edited by Fenrin; 05 March 2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  Fedora is stable "testing ground" and daily usable. The instability issues are grossly exaggerated.

This needs to be repeated more often! I'm a casual Linux user (it's my only system though), I switched from Ubuntu and I actually have less problems with Fedora compared to Ubuntu. On top of that I get quite fresh kernel without any fiddling.

Comment

Wow, even Fedora people have realized Linux will die if it doesn't become stable.

Comment

Working...
                    X