A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newwen View Post
    Canonical has fucked it up this time. They're losing all the trust they still had from the FLOSS community.
    Oh, come on. I'd like to see somebody from the FLOSS community who would look me straight in the eye and say they didn't see it coming. Canonical's been this way for years now. And everyone with an ounce of common sense jumped ship somewhere around 10.04.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      Go back to your dog-cave.

Canonical has made Linux what it is today, a verging world success. Everything they do is professional, user friendly, zippy, big strides and or innovative, and now they are hitting the broad device market. In two years Ubuntu will be capable of being on every device, whilst other distros will be playing catchup or acting like it's all sweet in the command line world. The plain fact is some people like their computers on flames, just to repair them or to thinker. Ubuntu on the other hand wants to bring functionality and style to Linux. I'm happy for all flavours of Linux to exist, but Canonical's Ubuntu is leading the pack.

Cononical made what? Are you fucking high? Debian,Red Hat, Mandrake, Slackware, SUSE and the LF made linux what it is today I can't even believe what you're spewing. To be completely honest I think only Windows user's use Ubuntu, at least until they cut their teeth. We have Ubuntu to thank for... Steam and some driver updates. Thank you Ubuntu for your ONLY contributions you worthless shitbag.

*edit GNU also helped... =)

Originally posted by 123_qwe View Post
      Technically Wayland is probably better, however that alone does not grant it success. Ubuntu is probably the only commercially viable implementation of Linux on the destkop. When was the last time that <insert favourite distro> appeared on BBC, CNN, etc?
      In the long run they will probably do with Mir and they did with Compiz( support it, launch it, and in the end revert to QT) and support Wayland. If NVIDIA launches drivers for Mir won't that benefit Wayland too (EGL). I can see the reasoning for Mir.
      Commercially viable? I would like to see Canonical's earnings compared to Red Hat's then.
      Last edited by nightmarex; 05 March 2013, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Canonical has made Linux what it is today
        I lol'd so hard I almost cried.

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
        Debian,Red Hat, Mandrake, Slackware, SUSE and the LF made linux what it is today I can't even believe what you're spewing.
        Not to mention that Ubuntu at its core is but a Debian derivative. In fact you can thank Debian maintainers for everything sane and working that still can be found in Ubuntu.
        Last edited by prodigy_; 05 March 2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
          Cononical made what? Are you fucking high? Debian,Red Hat, Mandrake, Slackware, SUSE and the LF made linux what it is today I can't even believe what you're spewing. To be completely honest I think only Windows user's use Ubuntu, at least until they cut their teeth. We have Ubuntu to thank for... Steam and some driver updates. Thank you Ubuntu for your ONLY contributions you worthless shitbag.
          Canonical provided good marketing and a slick product with polish. For this, I am very grateful to them, although I don't use their stuff.

But of course you are right, Canonical didn't make Linux. In fact, they didn't really make anything. And now they are moving away from their core competence (polish and marketing) to something they were never really good at: infrastructure and large coding projects that require goodwill from the community. Instead of using their marketing skill to advance Linux, they are using it to advance vapourware based on questionable decisions.

This is how companies go under. I'm guessing that they saw there was no money in desktop Linux and decided to try something radically different. They're gone, in other words.

Comment

other distros will be playing catchup or acting like it's all sweet in the command line world
            It IS all sweet in the command line world. Problem is, it's not user friendly.
            So there are several solutions : you use a good GUI, aimed at advanced users, or you make a simple GUI which tries to configure things automatically, is buggy and lacks many things. This is what Ubuntu does. Compared to Ubuntu, even the brand new Fedora installer looks cool.

Originally posted by 123_qwe View Post
            Technically Wayland is probably better, however that alone does not grant it success. Ubuntu is probably the only commercially viable implementation of Linux on the destkop. When was the last time that <insert favourite distro> appeared on BBC, CNN, etc?
            In the long run they will probably do with Mir and they did with Compiz( support it, launch it, and in the end revert to QT) and support Wayland. If NVIDIA launches drivers for Mir won't that benefit Wayland too (EGL). I can see the reasoning for Mir.
            Appearing on TV doesn't mean anything to open source philosophy. This is about making money, being a corporation ,etc. whereas the Linux I praise is about universality and knowledge. If that's what makes Ubuntu great, that's the precise reason why I hate them.
            Last edited by omer666; 05 March 2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Canonical is the AntiChrist!!!! Microsoft is the devil himself!!

Sadly what started as a good opportunity to bring GNU/Linux to the world has been becoming harmful. First systemd, now the next window system =/.

I only hope that developers don't get easy fooled by shiny rocks instead of unpolished diamonds.

Comment

As someone that uses Ubuntu I'm a bit puzzled by the sequence of events and certainly at the optics of this. At a minimum, it would appear that they've done a pretty shoddy job with the PR component of this. I would argue their seemingly inaccurate descriptions of Wayland is the single biggest problem with all of this.

My guess is that the motivation for rolling their own was fueled for their desire to have control over the codebase for what they probably consider a pretty important piece of the puzzle for their desire to put Ubuntu on the mobile and home TV devices. There may be something mobile manufacturers and/or carriers require that makes this desirable. Didn't Google write their own too for Android? Granted, theirs was before Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                  Whilst this may be the most important time to support Canonical, it may also be the most important time to boycott them. Unfortunately, if the community comes together to decry Canonical's dubious technical and ethical decisions, the software industry at large may take it as another sign of our immaturity and inability to work together in a unified way. In fact, Canonical seems the be the only person who has a problem with this, but we get the blame for being too dogmatic.

It's utter B.S., and I can't wait until we get past this idiocy.
                  Me too, but I'm afraid we won't get past this so soon, if ever. No matter what Canonical is doing, it's wrong. As far as I can remeber, patches done by Canonical aren't seen too gladly. I don't wonder, why they develop so much behind closed doors then.

However, without them, Linux would still be completely irrelevant to the end-user market. What's a great tech worth, if you can't bring it to the people? Remember all the hate about Unity? It's still hated, but seems to be the only UI (incl. Metro and the Mac-Stuff) which you can throw at completely new users without explaining tons of things (I'm talking about my experience - I migrated several people to Ubuntu - from family members to professorts at the university (not cs ones) and everyone was happy).

On the other hand, there is Android which is pretty much the king of fragmentation but surprisingly gets waaaaaaaaay less shit for that.

I guess, again, all this hate is not against Mir but really against Canonical. There are tons of comments about that and most of them are from people who are no experts for display servers (I'm not either) and only post tons of hot air. As a result, there is barely any useful criticism but a lot of nonsense.

My guess is that Canonical will just continue with what they're up to and leave the oldschool-linux-hating-community behind, right there where they're used to be - irrelevant and hating :P

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
                    As someone that uses Ubuntu I'm a bit puzzled by the sequence of events and certainly at the optics of this. At a minimum, it would appear that they've done a pretty shoddy job with the PR component of this. I would argue their seemingly inaccurate descriptions of Wayland is the single biggest problem with all of this.

My guess is that the motivation for rolling their own was fueled for their desire to have control over the codebase for what they probably consider a pretty important piece of the puzzle for their desire to put Ubuntu on the mobile and home TV devices. There may be something mobile manufacturers and/or carriers require that makes this desirable. Didn't Google write their own too for Android? Granted, theirs was before Wayland.
                    The display on Android is SurfaceFlinger, Other than Ubuntu for phones/tablets or whatever the hell their aiming for I don't think any other Linux based OS uses it. I maybe wrong but it's GL based and these days isn't too shabby.

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                    Me too, but I'm afraid we won't get past this so soon, if ever. No matter what Canonical is doing, it's wrong. As far as I can remeber, patches done by Canonical aren't seen too gladly. I don't wonder, why they develop so much behind closed doors then.

However, without them, Linux would still be completely irrelevant to the end-user market. What's a great tech worth, if you can't bring it to the people? Remember all the hate about Unity? It's still hated, but seems to be the only UI (incl. Metro and the Mac-Stuff) which you can throw at completely new users without explaining tons of things (I'm talking about my experience - I migrated several people to Ubuntu - from family members to professorts at the university (not cs ones) and everyone was happy).

On the other hand, there is Android which is pretty much the king of fragmentation but surprisingly gets waaaaaaaaay less shit for that.

I guess, again, all this hate is not against Mir but really against Canonical. There are tons of comments about that and most of them are from people who are no experts for display servers (I'm not either) and only post tons of hot air. As a result, there is barely any useful criticism but a lot of nonsense.

My guess is that Canonical will just continue with what they're up to and leave the oldschool-linux-hating-community behind, right there where they're used to be - irrelevant and hating :P
                    Android does what it does. It's sad that the Linux world doesn't really get much from the success of Android but it is what it is. Ubuntu is trying to be Android now. The problem is they're messing with the Linux eco-system along the way.
                    Last edited by nightmarex; 05 March 2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                      patches done by Canonical aren't seen too gladly.
                      Because those patches are trivial.
                      However, without them, Linux would still be completely irrelevant to the end-user market.
                      YEAH RIGHT
                      Remember all the hate about Unity? It's still hated, but seems to be the only UI (incl. Metro and the Mac-Stuff) which you can throw at completely new users without explaining tons of things (I'm talking about my experience - I migrated several people to Ubuntu - from family members to professorts at the university (not cs ones) and everyone was happy).
                      If u are retard then yes, every other DE/WM whatever will be hard for u to understand. Those so called new users don't even understand what's the difference between windows and ubuntu(i don;t say linux coz those tards don;t even know what is linux). They see all those fancy window animations and they say"HEY THATS UBAH KEWL, UBUNTU RULEZ WINDOWS SUCKS". Most of their problems are " I pressed something now there is this <insert random stupid bs> problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X