A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
    If u are retard then yes, every other DE/WM whatever will be hard for u to understand. Those so called new users don't even understand what's the difference between windows and ubuntu(i don;t say linux coz those tards don;t even know what is linux). They see all those fancy window animations and they say"HEY THATS UBAH KEWL, UBUNTU RULEZ WINDOWS SUCKS". Most of their problems are " I pressed something now there is this <insert random stupid bs> problem.
    IDK maybe I'm just old but I always though a panel with a application launch button (perhaps a clock in corner) is easier for most new users to understand then a bunch of wierd buttons and menus ui. Kind of why Metro caught flack wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
      IDK maybe I'm just old but I always though a panel with a application launch button (perhaps a clock in corner) is easier for most new users to understand then a bunch of wierd buttons and menus ui. Kind of why Metro caught flack wasn't it?
      What's hard to understand. It's simple, either u like it or don't, that's it. As i said if u are retard then yes something is hard... It's just personal preferences.

Comment

I?m sure Canonical will still make Wayland available. It is possible to do a minimal Ubuntu installation, and then choose the programs you want, instead of going with the programs that are included in the typical installation. I?ve done that before, since I prefer LXDE to Unity, VLC to Totem, etc. If they decide to not offer Wayland, I might have to consider going back to Arch. What keeps me coming back to Ubuntu is their package management.

Comment

Originally posted by 123_qwe View Post
          Technically Wayland is probably better, however that alone does not grant it success. Ubuntu is probably the only commercially viable implementation of Linux on the destkop. When was the last time that <insert favourite distro> appeared on BBC, CNN, etc?
          In the long run they will probably do with Mir and they did with Compiz( support it, launch it, and in the end revert to QT) and support Wayland. If NVIDIA launches drivers for Mir won't that benefit Wayland too (EGL). I can see the reasoning for Mir.
          Obbious reason, Mark Shuttleworth celebrity status. Ubuntu by itself is nothing more than Debian folk. Since its inceptions,developers and users were so easily
          tricked into marketing they did not the see Canonical real purpose, control. I personally despite Canonical perversion of Ubuntu name and their brag of inventing elements where they did barely contribute to the FOSS community.
          Canonical still has not made a single profit in consumer desktop despite popularity and it shows there are bad financial decision on their hand. In business point of view,Ubuntu is a laughing stock. Meanwhile, watching Canonical doing its own downfall.

Comment

Because those patches are trivial.
            Besides the questions, if this applies to all of their patches, is triviality a reason to reject?

YEAH RIGHT
            Which distro got, by far, the most users? Which distro is actually getting the people from other OSs mostly? Which distro do proprietary applications target first?

Or, more easier, where would we have been without Ubuntu? Oh yeah, Gnome Shell would have surely attracted a lot of new users

If u are retard then yes, every other DE/WM whatever will be hard for u to understand. Those so called new users don't even understand what's the difference between windows and ubuntu(i don;t say linux coz those tards don;t even know what is linux). They see all those fancy window animations and they say"HEY THATS UBAH KEWL, UBUNTU RULEZ WINDOWS SUCKS". Most of their problems are " I pressed something now there is this <insert random stupid bs> problem.
            Then you have to assume, that most people are retarded. Still, that doesn't help if other companies like Microsoft and Apple catch them and get so many users, that they can close up everything towards the outside world. Guess who's then left behind (we're just slowly getting out of this mess, thanks to whom again?).

Comment

There should be some GPL changes to disallow faggots from canonical use damn code for free. PERIOD.
              No, there shouldn't. That's not what the GPL is for, if you think so you don't understand free software.

Mir will probably fail on it's own, but it will do damage to the ecosystem before it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                Nvidia did say they were not going to support Wayland. If support comes then Wayland has a chance, else it's a struggling project.

Mir on the other hand will be too tempting for Nvidia to push aside.
                Totally on the contrary. Mir has nothing to offer over Wayland, it's Canonical's pet project. Wayland is developed by many parties. Ideally they should share drivers to avoid mess. So potentially Nvidia doesn't need to develop different drivers - they can develop one for both, of course unless Canonical screws things up with creating an incompatible architecture (like Android did with SurfaceFlinger).

If drivers fragmentation will happen - it will be horrible especially gaming wise. It'll hinder any positive developments which start to emerge now.
                Last edited by shmerl; 05 March 2013, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scionicspectre View Post
                  Whilst this may be the most important time to support Canonical, it may also be the most important time to boycott them. Unfortunately, if the community comes together to decry Canonical's dubious technical and ethical decisions, the software industry at large may take it as another sign of our immaturity and inability to work together in a unified way. In fact, Canonical seems the be the only person who has a problem with this, but we get the blame for being too dogmatic.

It's utter B.S., and I can't wait until we get past this idiocy.
                  Unfortunately true, but what you can do?

And phoen1x, even when I agree with you I do not want to be seen in the same room with you. Try calming down and being a bit more eloquent with your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
                    Besides the questions, if this applies to all of their patches, is triviality a reason to reject?
                    YES.

Which distro got, by far, the most users? Which distro is actually getting the people from other OSs mostly? Which distro do proprietary applications target first?
                    Who cares? More users using it means it's better distro even though it's same debian?

Or, more easier, where would we have been without Ubuntu? Oh yeah, Gnome Shell would have surely attracted a lot of new users
                    Rise of linux came with compiz and tha came from opensuse, too bad for u, canonical wasn't even intrested in linux back then. There is KDE and others(i won't mention xfce because it's not on par with gnome or even with kde)

Then you have to assume, that most people are retarded. Still, that doesn't help if other companies like Microsoft and Apple catch them and get so many users, that they can close up everything towards the outside world. Guess who's then left behind (we're just slowly getting out of this mess, thanks to whom again?).
                    They are. Read buntu forums. HI I SAW VIDEO EFFECTS ON JEWTUBE NOW I HAZ INSTALLED TEH UBUNTU, SHIT IS WEIRD MAH EXE FILES AIN'T WORKIN. Windows is the best operating system ever, without windows there would be nothing to copy for linux geeks to make linux usable. But u are yet another linux newbie who thinks linux rules and windows/osx/ios whatever sucks... Too bad.
                    Originally posted by Hamish Wilson
                    And phoen1x, even when I agree with you I do not want to be seen in the same room with you. Try calming down and being a bit more eloquent with your posts.
                    I hear sirens, is that care police?!

Comment

phoen1x, dude, you need to step away from the keyboard.

I have been considering for the last couple of days what would be a reasonable, constructive and mature contribution to this whole saga. And I think I've got it!

Comment

Working...
                      X