A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
    I still hold that if Canonical just went into wayland and submitted 150 patches saying "we want this to be completely different, so we're making it completely different, starting with switching from client-provisioned to server-provisioned canvasses" --you really think that would go over well? What is it you want? You want Canonical to compromise their vision for the future of the desktop? Go fuck yourself. Maybe it'll help you calm down.
    Those are not the only two options and you know it. What we wanted was for them to talk to the Wayland developers when they were taking suggestions on board about crafting the ABI (you know, before they went 1.0) just like all of the other vendors were doing. We are not the ones applying double standards when it comes to Canonical here, they are doing that themselves when compared to to other vendors.

Comment

• Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
      I still hold that if Canonical just went into wayland and submitted 150 patches saying "we want this to be completely different, so we're making it completely different, starting with switching from client-provisioned to server-provisioned canvasses" --you really think that would go over well? What is it you want? You want Canonical to compromise their vision for the future of the desktop? Go fuck yourself. Maybe it'll help you calm down.
      Everything in Canonical's "vision" is possible in Wayland, much of it without having to change anything in the core in Wayland. Canonical devs would have known this if they had asked. That is the reason they had to backpedal on all of their technical complaints about Wayland, in reality none of them would have been an issue. At most they would have had to maintain their own backend or compositor bits, but that is much less work than maintaining an entire display server and would have caused much less of a rift amongst the Linux community.

Comment

• I didn't know that FLOSS was a mafia organisation

I didn't know that FLOSS was a mafia organisation until I read this discussion thread. Canonical is doing it's own display server, so what? Do you know what "F" in "FLOSS" means?

Wayland community looks like a very scary place to be. Technical issues and merits can be worked on without having to waste energy on solving social issues and fighting the mafia. I'd pick Mir (or completely new) over Wayland any day in the week. Mir is under an open source licence. Thank you Canonical for contributing to the open source SW pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Togga View Post
          I didn't know that FLOSS was a mafia organisation until I read this discussion thread. Canonical is doing it's own display server, so what? Do you know what "F" in "FLOSS" means?

Wayland community looks like a very scary place to be. Technical issues and merits can be worked on without having to waste energy on solving social issues and fighting the mafia. I'd pick Mir (or completely new) over Wayland any day in the week. Mir is under an open source licence. Thank you Canonical for contributing to the open source SW pool.
          Please don't talk if you have absolutely no clue about the matter at hand. Thanks.

Comment

I didn't know that FLOSS was a mafia organisation until I read this discussion thread. Canonical is doing it's own display server, so what?
            I agree. People expressing opinions is exactly like murder, extortion, and racketeering.

Originally posted by Togga View Post
            Do you know what "F" in "FLOSS" means?
            I know it doesn't mean "no one is allowed to disagree with Canonical".
            Last edited by TheBlackCat; 16 March 2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
              Please don't talk if you have absolutely no clue about the matter at hand. Thanks.
              Thank you for proving my point.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                I agree. People expressing opinions is exactly like murder, extortion, and racketeering.

[10 chars]

Comment

What a moronic comment....

Forums are made for people to discuss things and share their opinions about their topics of interest. So everyone is entitled to his opinion. Only fascists believe that people shouldn't state their opinion on something... Are you one?

Btw, the community didn't make and isn't going to make any move against Mir. This doesn't mean that they cannot state their dislike about it...

PS: To Canonical: Please recruit more intelligent trolls next time...

Comment

Nah, there is no "FLOSS" community at all (FreeBSD and GNU/Linux are pretty distant for instance)

At the same time "GNU/Linux" community is actually Red Hat + volunteers while shunning Canonical for being "outside" it is a popular sport.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      Everything in Canonical's "vision" is possible in Wayland, much of it without having to change anything in the core in Wayland. Canonical devs would have known this if they had asked. That is the reason they had to backpedal on all of their technical complaints about Wayland, in reality none of them would have been an issue. At most they would have had to maintain their own backend or compositor bits, but that is much less work than maintaining an entire display server and would have caused much less of a rift amongst the Linux community.
                      It is Canonical's OS, they know better.

Comment

Working...
                      X