A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ворот93 View Post
    Unlike Bozo the Clown, Canonical have been successful so far. Sudden hate outburst proves that.
    Ubuntu was successful as a community distro so far. How successful they will be with their new "we don't need/want the community" approach has to be seen in the future, but as far as the reaction from the community goes it doesn't look that good for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      Ubuntu was successful as a community distro so far. How successful they will be with their new "we don't need/want the community" approach has to be seen in the future, but as far as the reaction from the community goes it doesn't look that good for them.
      Wrong. Ubuntu has been a company-directed distro this far. Debian, Arch or Gentoo are community distros, Ubuntu is made by Canonical Ltd. with some help of volunteers.

Comment

with some help of volunteers.
        Understatement of the year. How many paid-by-Canonical developers are there for the software in a default Ubuntu install, how many of them are community developers?
        Not to count in the about 1000 Debian developers.

Comment

Unlike Bozo the Clown, Canonical have been successful so far. Sudden hate outburst proves that.
          No it doesn't.

Comment

They haven't made money yet, so I don't think they are successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
              And it shows in terms of usability. There clearly is a need for somebody to create the necessary focus in order to get it right. For now this somebody seems to be a corporation (talking not only about Canonical but also Red Hat and others).
              I find it funny how you tend to ignore anything that shows your arguments debunked.

Comment

Way to completely miss the point. Just as there are reasons to laugh at people besides them being geniuses, there are reasons for hatred besides success. Sometimes people say things that are considered funny. Sometimes people do things that are considered bad.

And by all counts Bozo the Clown was extremely successful. He has been a hugely popular franchise for decades and was played by hundreds of actors. Ubuntu is a total failure by comparison, in terms of popularity, financial success, and cultural impact.

Comment

• I think that teamwork is better than competition, but I think the combination of both is the absolute best case scenario. 3 is a healthy number I think. I mean, if everyone and their mom wrote a windowing system, that would be a problem, but this is just Xorg, Wayland, and MIR, since SurfaceFlinger is basically just on Android. Canonical has their requirements for their windowing system and instead of dumping those requirements on wayland, they're doing their own thing. I still hold that if Canonical just went into wayland and submitted 150 patches saying "we want this to be completely different, so we're making it completely different, starting with switching from client-provisioned to server-provisioned canvasses" --you really think that would go over well? What is it you want? You want Canonical to compromise their vision for the future of the desktop? Go fuck yourself. Maybe it'll help you calm down.

Comment

• Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                    First you do not know what manpower does or doesn't Canonical have. Shuttleworth can talk to a lot of rich people and make them invest in this company, so they can diverge as much as they like from upstream.
                    So you think they have the possibilities to pay 1000+ developers alone to maintain their Debian base, after they have forked it to have control over their base? I doubt so and they won't do it. They simply are hipocrites, saying that what they want is not to rely on the community that doesn't have a strong leader and a vision, while in the meantime they say absolutely nothing about the fact that their OS would just plop out of existance without that community.
                    If the community is such a bad thing they simply should fork Debian now, any day longer they rely on the community of "idiots that can code" they don't like makes them look like what they are: parasites on the open source ecosystem.

Comment

• Originally posted by liam View Post
                      Mcann is a software developer not a trained designer.
                      And Shuttleworth is? Still, that does not even dispute my point - Gnome Shell had a person in charge of design and ensuring a consistent vision. And it was in fact because of this "leadership" that many seem to have gotten upset about it (for real and imagined reasons). And yet this is exactly what people say they want out of Canonical...

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                      Mac OS X couldn't have been made by a 'community'. It needed a clear leader. A person to hold everyone accountable. A CEO. Open source is nice as a foundation you build your company on. In themselves, 'community' products aren't that usable.
                      Where you go wrong is this assertion that it needs to be a CEO. There can be leadership in the community, and there has been lots of it. Also, I am certainly finding my community distro to be usable, but then you will not give up these wild hateful assertions of suckitude.

Comment

Working...
                      X