Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

Default A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

Phoronix: A Note To Canonical: "Don't Piss On Wayland"

In addition to X.Org and Wayland developers criticizing Canonical on Google+ about the Mir display server, there was a colorful discussion about this new open-source project on the Wayland IRC channel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxODA

I really hope, that everybody(except canonical), will boycott this "mir" shit thing.
    Michael you have contacts with Valve, can you ask them what they think about it.

Canonical has fucked it up this time. They're losing all the trust they still had from the FLOSS community.

As someone else said, at least Google is honest with its intentions. Canonical dismisses community standards and only uses upstream as free labor.

I was cool with ubuntu until this. Granted a lot of it is way over my head but still seems like they should have just went wayland.

Canonical is suffering from NCLAH syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by newwen View Post
    As someone else said, at least Google is honest with its intentions. Canonical dismisses community standards and only uses upstream as free labor.
    Wasn't google experimenting with Wayland on their Chrome OS window manager (Aura??) ??

Wow, talk about being evasive. Roaf pretty much couldn't give a direct answer to anything, and the few things he could give answers to ended up being totally bogus.

Default So much negativity

Mir may not be anything right now, but I certainly hope it turns into something good in the future. Nothing wrong with having options. It's nice that we have so many DEs (even though others like to call these options fragmentation). Just like I'm not yet judging Wayland in anyway, I'm not judging Mir yet either. Wait for these to actually be implemented fulltime after their release to judge them.

Quote Originally Posted by sabun View Post
    Mir may not be anything right now, but I certainly hope it turns into something good in the future. Nothing wrong with having options. It's nice that we have so many DEs (even though others like to call these options fragmentation). Just like I'm not yet judging Wayland in anyway, I'm not judging Mir yet either. Wait for these to actually be implemented fulltime after their release to judge them.
    It is bad, because it is not a collaboration but competition. It increases pressure on toolkits, on drivers, on developers, and in quality of service in the end. I hope mir dies.

Quote Originally Posted by sabun View Post
    If Mir offered anything new, I might be interested too. But from that conversation it doesn't sound like they will offer anything all that different from what they would have offered had they used Wayland. There are a lot of maybes and guesses about how things might be different in the future, but they don't actually have any clue what is happening Wayland so they really don't know whether it will be all that different or not.