Canonical Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Watch

Here is a preliminary view of Canoncals future software compilation. Some might be guessing but it hugely scary to se all the CLA http://www.canonical.com/contributors and use of walled gardens from Google and Digia. Please fill in the void.

Linux/Android: Fragments upstream Linux, GPL is not respected for Android in large parts of Asia.

Android graphics drivers
    : Fragments the current push for open drivers on Linux

Upstart: CLA. Init and session management. Canonical gains control of kernels and apps.

LightDM: CLA. Display Manager. Canonical gains control of Apps.

Mir: CLA. Display server/protocol.

Qt: Digia CLA. Provides the ability to close up apps, use DRM and make alterations compared to any free software versions.

Unity
    : CLA. Desktop Interface software.

Canonical Apps: CLA.

Canonical platform services
    : CLA.

All these CLA components came to life for different purposes. Today it doesnt seem like coincidents, does it?

Thats strange...
    CLA means simply "can be turned to proprietary closed source if needed at fraction of second"
    If there is a project that is developed with GPL, but requires CLA/Copyright Transfer - its not GPL at all.

Why Qt is CLA is more,less clear to me - its a toolkit, and if someone wants to use that toolkit statically linked in some car project, while paying to Dignia. I can accept it..

But why would one need to CLA everything inside distribution is big question. Only purpose is - ability to close down whole distribution or its parts without questions.
    This sucks :/

Comment

Don't necessarily disagree with the main theme or the point you're trying to make but wasn't LightDM a Debian project?

Comment

I'm waiting for Canonical to buy Digia

Comment

Originally posted by cardboard View Post
          I'm waiting for Canonical to buy Digia
          Why? Qt offers all the shit Canonical needs. Commercial license, DRM and an idiot crowd in total denial.

Comment

What does CLA stand for
            1) Copy left agreement?
            2) Communist league of america?
            3) Command line argument?
            4) China-Like Acts?
            Anyone? Anyone? Wikipedia doesn't have it and I'm trying level up on nerd, but just to level 1.

Comment

Originally posted by aironeous View Post
              What does CLA stand for
              1) Copy left agreement?
              2) Communist league of america?
              3) Command line argument?
              4) China-Like Acts?
              Anyone? Anyone? Wikipedia doesn't have it and I'm trying level up on nerd, but just to level 1.
              It stands for "Contributor License Argeement".

But simiar to "DRM", which stands for "Digital Rights Management", but in reality means "Digital Restriction Management",

the true meaning of CLA is "Copyright-Transfer License Agreement"

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                It stands for "Contributor License Argeement".

But simiar to "DRM", which stands for "Digital Rights Management", but in reality means "Digital Restriction Management",

the true meaning of CLA is "Copyright-Transfer License Agreement"
                Well, you do know that whatever is released under the GPL can still be redistributed and developed out of tree regardless of the original's copyright status?

Comment

Now, the current Harmony CLA does not make you assign copyright to Canonical. Original author of the code retains full rights on it.

Comment

Ignoring two trolls above, I will nevertheless put this nice Canonical CLA and Harmony CLA analysis as a link for those interested.

In fact, Canonical is driving itself out of own userbase, damaging Linux ecosystem and on the way of breaking own promises.

The whole CLA, NIH and reinvention just for purpose of damage is not describing Canonical as a friendly neighbor.
                    Maybe we are looking at somebody who plans to repeat SCO ?

Comment

Working...
                    X