Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu's Unity Written In Qt/QML For "Unity Next"

Default Ubuntu's Unity Written In Qt/QML For "Unity Next"

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Unity Written In Qt/QML For "Unity Next"

It shouldn't be a surprise that Canonical has been moving the Ubuntu desktop (namely, Unity) in the direction of Qt/QML over GTK. The Unity phone/tablet interface is using Qt as is other components and for the next major iteration of Unity they're seeking for it to all be written in Qt/QML...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNzM

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu's Unity Written In Qt/QML For "Unity Next"

It shouldn't be a surprise that Canonical has been moving the Ubuntu desktop (namely, Unity) in the direction of Qt/QML over GTK. The Unity phone/tablet interface is using Qt as is other components and for the next major iteration of Unity they're seeking for it to all be written in Qt/QML...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNzM
    Do these people have absolutely no direction? What the hell is going on there?

First they adapt GNOME 2 with a patchset from hell. Then they adopt GNOME3 elements, but write their own interface called Unity. Then they design a 2d look-alike called Unity 2D written using Qt. Then they drop it. Now they are rewriting Unity in QML.

It must be hell for their developers. Tomorrow someone might come in and say "Forget it boys, today we're rewriting everything in C# and FLTK". Who makes these decisions?

It has been a wild ride with Ubuntu but I can always understand why they are doing what they are doing. Looking forward to it! Ubuntu is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post

First they adapt GNOME 2 with a patchset from hell. Then they adopt GNOME3 elements, but write their own interface called Unity. Then they design a 2d look-alike called Unity 2D written using Qt. Then they drop it. Now they are rewriting Unity in QML.

It must be hell for their developers. Tomorrow someone might come in and say "Forget it boys, today we're rewriting everything in C# and FLTK". Who makes these decisions?
    I think they always disliked the million toolkits we have Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    It has been a wild ride with Ubuntu but I can always understand why they are doing what they are doing. Looking forward to it! Ubuntu is awesome.
    They have spent millions on Unity, Unity2d, fixing GNOME, maintaining Compiz, and doing a number of other things, and NOW they are basically going to write a couple of plasmoids.

Way to go. Awesome leadership.

It is not about chosing technology. It is about doing whats best for Canonical. Source code wise they are gaining the ability to close up almost everything. Quite disturbing if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by 89c51 View Post
    I think they always disliked the million toolkits we have Linux.
    Then they could have picked one, like RedHat did.

Why use all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    It is not about chosing technology. It is about doing whats best for Canonical. Source code wise they are gaining the ability to close up almost everything. Quite disturbing if you ask me.
    For once, I agree with you, and imagine that this is probably what they are interested in.

At least for the phone business.

Then they could have picked one, like RedHat did.

Why use all of them?
    Good apps written with both of them maybe. I don't know TBH.

For once, I agree with you, and imagine that this is probably what they are interested in.

At least for the phone business.
    Do you believe they'll write closed source QT apps?