No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Announces Mir, A X.Org/Wayland Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X took almost 30 years to get the point it is today. You are complaining that Wayland has taken five? I am sorry, but that qualifies you all to be stupid, ignorant, arrogant, entitled bastards who have no idea of how computing works. I usually avoid the name calling but this is unreal. If it takes five years for many commercial video games to be developed now, what makes you think you could develop a display server in the course of a year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      I believe canonical lacks leadership, management, vision and a business plan but they would have to be text book retard to pull a move like this if wayland was anything but a piece of shit.
      You provide the answer to your own question in your own post. You just do not see it.

Comment

• I actually am perplexed by this clusterfuck...

it simply does not make sense that canonical would waste this many resources into making a brand new display manager from scratch

I hope that mir is just a fork of wayland with some stuff modified/stripped

that would make the most sense, be the most sensible, and canonical wouldn't just straight up admit it in order not to look shady...

has anyone actually had access to mir's code?

Comment

I actually am perplexed by this clusterfuck...

it simply does not make sense that canonical would waste this many resources into making a brand new display manager from scratch

that would make the most sense, be the most sensible, and canonical wouldn't just straight up admit it in order not to look shady...

It's available but I've been too lazy to look at it. I do wonder if it's really "from scratch" or just Google's SF with a bunch of modifications. I'd be surprised if they were able to get something running on a variety of phones / tablets so quickly by building something from scratch. At the time I thought it was mentioned that they were relying heavily on Android stuff.

Comment

ok erendorn, using a bit of logic, tell me why that happened?

canonical is not afraid of buggy code so had wayland been anything but a pile of hype and promises I'm sure canonical would have either forked the shit out of it like they did with gnome, or end up using it.

seriously, use logic people:

why would canonical waste resources, time and money, making something if they could have just forked an existing solution?

I believe canonical lacks leadership, management, vision and a business plan but they would have to be text book retard to pull a move like this if wayland was anything but a piece of shit.
            I wish, but just read that IRC log: canonical devs have no idea of how waylands work, and what can be done with it. They haven't been able to provide a single technical explanation for not using it. The official reasons is: it doesn't fit our "vision".
            The move is either a poor, uneducated management decision, or it's all about licensing, control, and exclusivity of the platform (think "ecosystem": having apps on the ubuntu market not ported on other distros).

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
              It's available but I've been too lazy to look at it. I do wonder if it's really "from scratch" or just Google's SF with a bunch of modifications. I'd be surprised if they were able to get something running on a variety of phones / tablets so quickly by building something from scratch. At the time I thought it was mentioned that they were relying heavily on Android stuff.
              Not to play devil's advocate and I haven't looked either but if it is SF clone that's being modded, that's a really smart way of doing it. I mean how many times do programmers catch hell for reinventing the wheel?

I am renaming Wayland TaylorSwift and Mir KayneWest. I can't believe the amount of crazy all this is causing, yeah I know I'm not helping.

Comment

I actually am perplexed by this clusterfuck...

By the looks of it, it doesn't seem to be.

Just the names of the files, and defined API's, and source layout, and the fact everything is in c++. It's a completely new protocol.

Comment

"Mir is nothing but vaporware at this point. "

here's the irony: do a search for wayland + vaporware and you will see how many people said the exact same thing about wayland.

here's where I'm coming from:

I hate xorg, tired of the stupidy that is setting up conf files to try different options and xorg needs to die, NAY, should have died already...

enter wayland

for 5 years nothing but promises and "oh it's going to be terrific" " oh it's so great"

bla bla fucking bla

I even remember seeing here and other places that ubuntu 12.04 would be using xwayland/weston what the fuck ever

12.04 didn't, then I heard the same about 12.10 that canonical was desperate to port ubuntu into wayland...

12.10 came and went and now it's 13.04... still no signs of wayland

this is a new fucking world where tech is moving fast, you can't take 5 years to make a gay display manager for fucks sake.

and now these stupid ass wayland devs act all surprised and offended that canonical said 'fuck this' and made their own...

wayland will be ready when 2015? let me fucking lol

it can be the biggest piece of shit ever made, but at least in little more than a years time canonical will release something
                  Then why they they not use there working power to back up Wayland development if they tired of looking how slow it goes? Instead they making own thing from 0. So there really 2 possible reasons why they did that:

1.They don't like where Wayland is going, so they going there own way
                  2.They don't want to contribute... as they always did, so they making there own thing to have control over what they using.
                  Last edited by shadowriver; 06 March 2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

why would canonical waste resources, time and money, making something if they could have just forked an existing solution?
                    TDD.

who hasnt developed a test driven project may easily dismiss the implication of this detail, but having worked with it for some games i can say it's quite deep actually...

you have to write unit tests to see them initially fail (of course, classes and code dont even exist yet), then the (minimal) code that will make them pass (green bar in the test runner - all test methods satisfied), then refactor the code (and the tests, if you change the class hierarchy or method names) to refine the design

this leads to (ideally) have smaller iterations, and working (and pre verified) code at each iteration
                    but this also implies a NECESSITY to have the whole project developed in TDD, so that each project subunit is covered by tests, so that bugs or regressions introduced with subsequent feature iterations or refactorings, are immediately caught
                    otherwise there's no point in going TDD at all

this means that, canonical may be "right" or "wrong" by choosing such development strategy, but that doesnt matter - since they have choosen it they can't import foreign, non tdd code any more
                    so no, they couldnt "just fork" an existing solution ... even if it may work just fine, even if it may be the most popular, even if it's in development for some years and even if its developers are brilliant people, the fact that they havent worked with programmatic description of specification and the fact it comes without unit tests make it a no go
                    this is important to understand

Comment

• Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                      By the looks of it, it doesn't seem to be.

Just the names of the files, and defined API's, and source layout, and the fact everything is in c++. It's a completely new protocol.
                      holy fuck, canonical has gone full retard

shuttleworth is probably tired of dumping money into ubuntu and now is doing one last push and if everything crashes and burn so be it

"or it's all about licensing, control, and exclusivity of the platform (think "ecosystem": having apps on the ubuntu market not ported on other distros). "

yes but they could easily achieve that by simply grabbing wayland (or sf) forking it and modify the shit out of it +strip it down... what they are doing baffles me as it makes no sense

Comment

Working...
                      X