No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Announces Mir, A X.Org/Wayland Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being compatible with Android graphic drivers will surely bring some closed source vendors onboard, namely AMD and NVIDIA. Let's see if this means that they drop support for Xorg all together. This would force Red Hat to make a move.

This means game over for wayland.

My biggest concern with this is that they've been developing this hidden it from the comunity, so time was lost developing Wayland while everyone thought Canonical would eventually adopt Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by newwen View Post
      Being compatible with Android graphic drivers will surely bring some closed source vendors onboard, namely AMD and NVIDIA. Let's see if this means that they drop support for Xorg all together. This would force Red Hat to make a move.

This means game over for wayland.

My biggest concern with this is that they've been developing this hidden it from the comunity, so time was lost developing Wayland while everyone thought Canonical would eventually adopt Wayland.
      If they aren't bullshitting, and in October they have a shippable product under GPL that supports drivers from both X and Android, while having a more refined input model and something like the way Wayland handles desktop rendition outside the protocol, Wayland's dead. Steam and the major GPU companies will get behind Mir, and Canonical instead of FreeDesktop will control the graphics stack.

I guess we'll see. I really hope they don't ditch pulseaudio now, though, since we have had around 5 years of slow migration towards it where one sector of Linux finally almost coalesced around one solution to an IO problem.

Comment

This means game over for wayland..
        With intel samsung and other companies behind it i don't think so.

Plus i cant see how canonical was able to get something like this (driver compatible etc etc) in less than a year.

Comment

Just look at some of the Wayland presentations. Pulling off a display server isn't really trivial. I eat my pants if Canonical can develop something in 1 year that beats wayland in every aspect.

Comment

I am of two minds, on one side I like the android driver correlation on the other I hate everything else.

I wouldn't trust Cononical to write a notepad clone.

I want to vote Ubuntu off the Linux Island I don't care how popular you think it is. It's like a gay non adopted version of Android. Take the hard work of others pretend it's yours and make it completely incompatible with everything else.

Comment

It sounds like it will be easier to use for developpers than X.org.
              I hope that it means less bugs.

I also hope that by adapting their driver, Amd will improve it so we have a bug free experience.

I also hope that it means optimus support and enduro support.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                Wayland's dead. Steam and the major GPU companies will get behind Mir, and Canonical instead of FreeDesktop will control the graphics stack.
                Just to measure the size of the problem you can go see how many commits canonical is doing in wayland or any freedesktop project repository... I don't think it's gonna change anything for the linux ecosystem.

Comment

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
                  I am of two minds, on one side I like the android driver correlation on the other I hate everything else.

I wouldn't trust Cononical to write a notepad clone.

I want to vote Ubuntu off the Linux Island I don't care how popular you think it is. It's like a gay non adopted version of Android. Take the hard work of others pretend it's yours and make it completely incompatible with everything else.
                  At least is GPL. If Canonical pulls this off (which I doubt) others can adopt/fork it.

This is a serious bet. Either Canonical pulls this off or they're over.

Comment

Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
                    Just to measure the size of the problem you can go see how many commits canonical is doing in wayland or any freedesktop project repository... I don't think it's gonna change anything for the linux ecosystem.
                    It would mean something for other distributions if they get no proprietary driver support. Even Google wich has a hard bet on ChromeOS would have to switch to MIR. Canonical is following the Google way of doing their own open source stuff in house. Google has also ditched Pulseaudio in favor of CRAS.

With Intel graphics chips and open source drivers getting better and better, this is less of a concern, though.
                    Last edited by newwen; 04 March 2013, 03:59 PM.

Comment

At least is GPL. If Canonical pulls this off (which I doubt) others can adopt/fork it.

This is a serious bet. Either Canonical pulls this off or they're over.
                      Either way, they're done with Linux, IMHO.

Nobody's ever forked their other projects before, I don't see this being any different.

Comment

Working...
                      X