• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    I blame this all on wayland and their snail pace development process

wayland = 5 years bs

mir = 9 months on the making, released in ubuntu 14.04
    Wayland is the right way to do things, and sometimes doing things right takes time. Mir is nothing but vaporware at this point.

Comment

I blame this all on wayland and their snail pace development process

wayland = 5 years bs

mir = 9 months on the making, released in ubuntu 14.04
      You hit the nail on the head.

I hope Wayland team have had a jolt to get their project done and push it's implementation. I also want Mir a success as its goals are what I need.

Comment

• 5 threads and hundreds of posts...

... and not one directed at canonical's choices (single process wm-shell design, programming language, programming method, etc), rather bashing them for the decision itself
        it strikes me odd somehow, especially after hearing about this "freedom" thing for a long time now... oh nevermind...
        Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Wayland is the right way to do things, and sometimes doing things right takes time. Mir is nothing but vaporware at this point.
        you may be right on the latter (but know knows, canonical isnt new to skunk works)
        but about the former who says Wayland is THE way?
        with the most respect for wayland developers and their efforts, but to any problem in sw design, every individual developer may have a different solution and all may be equally valid
        the fact that different developers may have different requirements or different approaches, know different languages (and here it's about a C++ monolithic shell+wm+graphic server vs a protocol and a C component for building compositors, with third parties tasked with the latter), follow different methodologies (and ehre it's about test driven development) or have different conceptions, is enough to set the respective solutions apart yet make them equally worthy

the mere fact that Mir is to be developed via TDD can make a HUGE difference development- and possibly functionality-wise, if applied correctly of course
        because if applied correctly, it could mean more rapid development times (thus it may be actually possible for an Agiile developed integral solution to be delivered sooner)
        because it would mean that the DS's behaviour is already formalized and apriori tested (with corner cases checked, and thus known to work correclty, apriori rather than as afterthought) the moment the code is released - thus Mir would be a formally verified desktop shell (afaik the first ever actually), thus suitable for environments where preverified code is practically mandatory (or the alternative is extensive and expensive auditing before deployment)

with Wayland, if i'm not mistaken, you dont get this - so this alone may make the whole wayland thing unsuitable for those who require, or strive for it
        Originally posted by ninez View Post
        Canonical didn't even try to have any issues they may have had with Wayland addressed.
        in the light of the above, if wayland didnt fulfill canonical's aim or requirements maybe it wasnt a no-go in and of itself
        but if you have to solve a development problem and stumble upon a non viable solution (or one you deem as such anyway), do you bend to adopt it anyway (knowing and accepting you'll have to make compromises) or do you skip on it directly and implement yours without being restricted by others' choices?
        if you do the latter, do you think you have to answer anyone about your decisions or not?

Comment

• Wayland is kinda DOA if they don't have vendor support.

I'm surprised they didn't from the very beginning rope in AMD and NVIDIA and work with them to create a display server that would make their lives easier.

Then again it is an Intel project, so...

Comment

• "Mir is nothing but vaporware at this point. "

here's the irony: do a search for wayland + vaporware and you will see how many people said the exact same thing about wayland.

here's where I'm coming from:

I hate xorg, tired of the stupidy that is setting up conf files to try different options and xorg needs to die, NAY, should have died already...

enter wayland

for 5 years nothing but promises and "oh it's going to be terrific" " oh it's so great"

bla bla fucking bla

I even remember seeing here and other places that ubuntu 12.04 would be using xwayland/weston what the fuck ever

12.04 didn't, then I heard the same about 12.10 that canonical was desperate to port ubuntu into wayland...

12.10 came and went and now it's 13.04... still no signs of wayland

this is a new fucking world where tech is moving fast, you can't take 5 years to make a gay display manager for fucks sake.

and now these stupid ass wayland devs act all surprised and offended that canonical said 'fuck this' and made their own...

wayland will be ready when 2015? let me fucking lol

it can be the biggest piece of shit ever made, but at least in little more than a years time canonical will release something
            Last edited by Pallidus; 06 March 2013, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I even remember seeing here and other places that ubuntu 12.04 would be using xwayland/weston what the fuck ever

12.04 didn't, then I heard the same about 12.10 that canonical was desperate to port ubuntu into wayland...

12.10 came and went and now it's 13.04... still no signs of wayland
              Indeed, because as the Ubuntu developer said, around (before) 12.04 they decided, secretly, to stop porting ubuntu to wayland and work on their solution instead.
              Don't inverse cause and consequence.

Comment

this is a new fucking world where tech is moving fast, you can't take 5 years to make a gay display manager for fucks sake.
                You have swallowed the Canonical marketing hook, line & sinker. Mir is only at the level Wayland was ~3 years ago, and there's no realistic way they can accomplish their tasks (with the developers listed) in a single year. Most likely the only reason they could accomplish what they did in 9 months is because they are walking on the path Wayland paved.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  Wayland is kinda DOA if they don't have vendor support.

I'm surprised they didn't from the very beginning rope in AMD and NVIDIA and work with them to create a display server that would make their lives easier.

Then again it is an Intel project, so...
                  The situation is no different for Mir, even less so (unless Canonical has already secretly secured Nvidia/AMD devs.. which is just pure speculation).

Comment

• ok erendorn, using a bit of logic, tell me why that happened?

canonical is not afraid of buggy code so had wayland been anything but a pile of hype and promises I'm sure canonical would have either forked the shit out of it like they did with gnome, or end up using it.

seriously, use logic people:

why would canonical waste resources, time and money, making something if they could have just forked an existing solution?

I believe canonical lacks leadership, management, vision and a business plan but they would have to be text book retard to pull a move like this if wayland was anything but a piece of shit.

Comment

• You bring up a solid argument. The answer is that yes they are retards. After all aren't there people who say that fluxbox is better than gnome

Comment

Working...
                      X