Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Announces Mir, A X.Org/Wayland Replacement

Phoronix: Ubuntu Announces Mir, A X.Org/Wayland Replacement

Canonical has lift the lid on Mir, it's name for the display server they are designing in-house. Mir will replace the X.Org Server on Ubuntu and it's not based upon Wayland or any other existing display server project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Canonical Marketing is doing a great job. Positive words for shitty ideas. First Harmony and Unity, now Mir(peace). Nice work marketing. Now lets drink to five years of further fragmentation and building walled gardens.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
      building walled gardens.
      Its all GPL....... using free software components........ can I have some of those drugs your using? They sound like good stuff.

Comment

Their approach seems to not fragment the driver scene for once (being able to use android and mesa open source drivers).
        The unified graphics driver stuff also sounds interesting.
        The minimal assumptions thing seems a sound approach.

I'm hoping the cross-pollination of features will make everything better.

Comment

Fragmentation like that is the biggest problem in Linux world...

Comment

Development has already been going for about 9 months now, maybe more.

Comment

This Ubuntu release will be called "Conniving Cancer", right?
              Why can't they just help improving the existing stuff...

Comment

Pure insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                  Canonical Marketing is doing a great job. Positive words for shitty ideas. First Harmony and Unity, now Mir(peace). Nice work marketing. Now lets drink to five years of further fragmentation and building walled gardens.
                  Did you read that Canonical is moving all their stuff to Qt?
                  Please say yes and say that you already prepared a diatribe for us to laugh at

Comment

Wow

This is pretty shocking news. They seem to have a lot of confidence. What I'm truly curious about though is whether Canonical have enough push factor to get AMD to make their drivers support Mir. AMD doesn't even keep up with X.org, and that's the standard right now. Since Nvidia have pretty much been on top of X.org lately, would they be greatly shaken by this change? Certainly wouldn't effect their stance on Optimus any time soon, they're taking their time with that.

Basically, what does this mean for desktop graphics users? I sincerely hope it at least means better optimization for the Ubuntu (and all it's derivatives) experience (games & movies wise). No more screen tearing with AMD would be a good beginning... lol
                    Ah wait, I forgot about Intel's graphics. Really curious whether these third party graphics hardware manufacturers will jump on board or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X