Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Announces Mir, A X.Org/Wayland Replacement

Hybrid View

Default Ubuntu Announces Mir, A X.Org/Wayland Replacement

Phoronix: Ubuntu Announces Mir, A X.Org/Wayland Replacement

Canonical has lift the lid on Mir, it's name for the display server they are designing in-house. Mir will replace the X.Org Server on Ubuntu and it's not based upon Wayland or any other existing display server project...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNzI

Canonical Marketing is doing a great job. Positive words for shitty ideas. First Harmony and Unity, now Mir(peace). Nice work marketing. Now lets drink to five years of further fragmentation and building walled gardens.

Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    building walled gardens.
    Its all GPL....... using free software components........ can I have some of those drugs your using? They sound like good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Its all GPL....... using free software components........ can I have some of those drugs your using? They sound like good stuff.
    Free software components, yes - but increasingly, components built by and exclusive to Canonical. They might not have to pay money to use them, but as Ubuntu diverges from other distros, the more it costs developers to support them all.

Not a walled garden, maybe - but at least a fence encouraging people to keep out.

Default History repeating

I recall when Apple compared itself to FreeBSD when announcing OS X, there were 3 major things they overhauled: the kernel (XNU, parts brought from NeXT), the SystemV startup scripts (launchd), and the graphical user interface (Quartz). In Linux so far, the kernel constantly changes and SystemV scripts have been replaced with Upstart and/or SystemD. X.org hasn't been completely replaced; Ubuntu's analysis of Wayland is similar to what I've read elsewhere: Wayland will be a successor to Xorg. For light weight tasks, there is DirectFB or Android. Mir appears to be bulkier than Android, but slimmer than Wayland.

Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    ... with copyright assignment. You can't contribute unless you agree to sign over all your rights to Canonical.

Quote Originally Posted by daniels View Post
    ... with copyright assignment. You can't contribute unless you agree to sign over all your rights to Canonical.
    That's no longer the case. They changed the agreement so that you keep all your rights, but give them an unrevokable right to use your code under its current license.

Quote Originally Posted by daniels View Post
    That hasn't been true for a while now. You still need to sign a CLA, but you keep your own copyright to your code and grant Canonical a broad license to use it (up to and including relicensing the project which contains your contribution).

Am I the only one amused by the fact that there's not a single trace of Canonical on the wayland mailing list? =P
    One would assume that they'd at least try to inquire about their perceived shortcomings of the protocol to the devs..

Fragmentation like that is the biggest problem in Linux world...