Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel Progress On Improving I/O Wait, Interactivity

Phoronix: Kernel Progress On Improving I/O Wait, Interactivity

Progress is being made within the Linux kernel for reducing the I/O wait times and system interactivity/responsiveness when dealing with large I/O operations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Deja vu

Deja vu. I've been following this bug for years.
    There have been several patches claiming the same thing. Hope this is the ONE.

BTW, changing the scheduler helped a lot. I'm using BFS when I'm not using VirtualBox.
    And the default swappiness is to high for the desktop, making interactivity even worse
    Last edited by talvik; 04 March 2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

This + NTFS makes large file transfers to a usb a tedious task... you are basically unable to do anything while the file transfer is in progress, and the filetransfer, due to the NTFS implementation on linux, is terribly slow.

Comment

Quite frankly this is the worst Linux bug ever and still not fixed, often copying large files makes the desktop unusable, even with Linux 3.8.
        What's worse - it seems to happen randomly, if I were paranoid I'd say M$ paid someone.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
          Deja vu. I've been following this bug for years.
          There have been several patches claiming the same thing. Hope this is the ONE.

BTW, changing the scheduler helped a lot. I'm using BFS when I'm not using VirtualBox.
          And the default swappiness is to high for the desktop, making interactivity even worse
          there's more stuff you could try out:

- adding BFQ and using that instead of CFQ
          - tweaking CFQ: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...start-100.html and the following page(s)
          - tweaking CFS (slightly improves it)

afaik I've meanwhile made additional changes - will see what they were once I have some more time

Originally posted by j2723 View Post
          This + NTFS makes large file transfers to a usb a tedious task... you are basically unable to do anything while the file transfer is in progress, and the filetransfer, due to the NTFS implementation on linux, is terribly slow.
          definitely ! usb + ntfs is the worst (even with ntfs3g) :/

Comment

Working...
          X