F2FS Benchmarks From USB Flash Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash Voyager

Michael, I hope you have better luck with your USB stick than I did. I had two of these die on me before I gave up on them. I've found the Patriot SuperSonic Xpress 32G to perform really well.

Comment

FAT, exFAT and NTFS

Michael,

I agree with Ericg. It would be nice to see benchmarks including FAT, exFAT, and NTFS if possible (or even where they fall down).

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy View Post
        Michael,

I agree with Ericg. It would be nice to see benchmarks including FAT, exFAT, and NTFS if possible (or even where they fall down).
        In terms of FAT, most of the disk benchmarks don't run on FAT. In terms of exFAT, there is no mainline kernel driver.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          In terms of FAT, most of the disk benchmarks don't run on FAT. In terms of exFAT, there is no mainline kernel driver.
          Yes, but ubuntu has support for exFAT.

Comment

you are stubborn as a mule, everyone wants to see F2FS vs exFAT

go to windows and format an exfat usb key or download the ubuntu driver

how hard is that, ffs

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
              you are stubborn as a mule, everyone wants to see F2FS vs exFAT

go to windows and format an exfat usb key or download the ubuntu driver

how hard is that, ffs
              It's out-of-process so if anything F2FS vs. exFAT will be saved for its own, separate, multi-page article.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                Michael, why no FAT or NTFS benchmarks? Really the only filesystems on a traditional USB should be

FAT (or exFat if its over 4GB), and thats for interoperability
                NTFS if its an external HDD via USB. Again for interoperability.
                Or if you only use Linux...F2FS. (Ext4 if you dont trust F2FS yet.)

So we're kind of missing 2 out of the 4 filesystems for this >.>
                I can't answer for Michael, but I am guessing, it's because main reason of tests is not to show you which one is best, but rather to point at new one, that is specifically designed for Linux in mind with Samsung to support it.

If Samsung are about to do this for their cameras and stuff - god knows how far standart may go. Since it's open source - it can be ported to Windows. Ext3 already is!(you need to install special driver for that, but you can mount ext3 and prolly ext4 too)

Comment

It's out-of-process so if anything F2FS vs. exFAT will be saved for its own, separate, multi-page article.

you're out of process, this thread is out of process, this entire forum is out of process

looking forward for that article, also, see how f2fs handles file errors and power failure etc compared to exfat both in sd and usb

if you are afraid of corrupting large capacity usb keys sd cards I have some crappy and small ones here I can send

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                    Lets just hope that Samsung goes "all in" on F2FS and releases drivers for Windows and MacOSX to ultimately replace FAT-based file systems in their devices (cameras, tablets, phones, TVs ...). If one major player starts breaking the unhealthy reliance of FAT, the world will be a better place.
                    Problem is usb mass storage only give direct access to data does not deal with file systems, means lot ofalready existing embedded devices will not able to read it. Its possible to switch but transition will take long.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowriver View Post
                      Problem is usb mass storage only give direct access to data does not deal with file systems, means lot ofalready existing embedded devices will not able to read it. Its possible to switch but transition will take long.
                      Exactly. Sometime it's good, sometime it's bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X