Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Benchmarks From USB Flash Storage

Phoronix: F2FS Benchmarks From USB Flash Storage

Up to this point on Phoronix there have been F2FS benchmarks -- the new Linux file-system designed by Samsung as the Flash-Friendly File-System -- in the context of solid-state storage benchmarking against various other Linux file-systems and also tests done from SDHC storage. In this article are our first tests when benchmarking F2FS from a USB 3.0 flash drive and comparing the performance to other open-source Linux file-systems.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, why no FAT or NTFS benchmarks? Really the only filesystems on a traditional USB should be

FAT (or exFat if its over 4GB), and thats for interoperability
    NTFS if its an external HDD via USB. Again for interoperability.
    Or if you only use Linux...F2FS. (Ext4 if you dont trust F2FS yet.)

So we're kind of missing 2 out of the 4 filesystems for this >.>
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Fat?

It would be nice to see how f2fs compares with vfat since that is what normally gets used on usb flash drives.

Comment

does anyone know how to format your ssd to f2fs and install root ubuntu on it ?
        would be very nice to see the results of it too.

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
          It would be nice to see how f2fs compares with vfat since that is what normally gets used on usb flash drives.
          Lets just hope that Samsung goes "all in" on F2FS and releases drivers for Windows and MacOSX to ultimately replace FAT-based file systems in their devices (cameras, tablets, phones, TVs ...). If one major player starts breaking the unhealthy reliance of FAT, the world will be a better place.

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post
            The factory formatted vfat fs on flash drives is optimized for the internal geometry of the flash device. A fair test (also when tested against the other Linux filesystems) would be to use flashbench to determine the internal geometry then use that information with mkfs since AFAIK that's the intended usage of F2FS.

Comment

Introduction to F2FS from the LKML:

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/li...1.1/01194.html

Comment

Originally posted by rusty View Post
                does anyone know how to format your ssd to f2fs and install root ubuntu on it ?
                would be very nice to see the results of it too.
                Assuming /dev/sda is your SSD with one partition. I gave it '-o 3' since I assume your SSD is at least 32GB (which is pretty big).

Code:
                [URL="http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jaegeuk/f2fs-tools.git/tree/"]mkfs.f2fs[/URL] -l f2fsonssd -o 3 /dev/sda1
                Start Ubuntu installation in text-mode (server CD) and point it to /dev/sda1 and tell it to use it as '/' (root) without formatting.

All the rest is the same.

But what kind of results would you expect? There is no installation benchmark or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  Assuming /dev/sda is your SSD with one partition. I gave it '-o 3' since I assume your SSD is at least 32GB (which is pretty big).

Code:
                  [URL="http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/jaegeuk/f2fs-tools.git/tree/"]mkfs.f2fs[/URL] -l f2fsonssd -o 3 /dev/sda1
                  Start Ubuntu installation in text-mode (server CD) and point it to /dev/sda1 and tell it to use it as '/' (root) without formatting.

All the rest is the same.

But what kind of results would you expect? There is no installation benchmark or anything.
                  I've got 180gb ssd currently using linux mint 14 with ext4 I've read that f2fs is better for ssd kind. I guess I would expect it to be fast and stable
                  Do you know how to install linux mint 14 if I format it with f2fs ?

Comment

Originally posted by rusty View Post
                    I've got 180gb ssd currently using linux mint 14 with ext4 I've read that f2fs is better for ssd kind. I guess I would expect it to be fast and stable
                    Do you know how to install linux mint 14 if I format it with f2fs ?

If you can't manage to know how to do it, maybe better to wait. This FS is too new for novices.

Comment

Working...
                    X