OpenGL performance MoBo/Nvidia upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    i5 or i7 is the way to go for gamers usually. Most gamers with amd systems need to force the cpu to performance mode for Linux games - this has something to do that the Linux sheduler is different to the Windows one and changes more often the load from one core to the next. Maybe amd should optimize that a bit as they are unable to build real fast cpus. Even amd itself uses intel systems to benchmark their own graphics cards!
    So far I didnt have to force anything. Further more, on old system I did some tests with CPU and GPU schedulers set to performance mode. may be i won 1-2%. It was on Unigine tests, on HoN and may be a few other games. Gains were not noticeable. In fact, i checked CPU stats, they NEVER were used to the max. CPU was constantly in half way on performance sensors. My issue was with low North Bus. And I know it was bad, i was on very tight budget when I got this mobo, my old MoBo pretty much burned out so i had to buy something quick.(can someone tell me please, WHO IN RIGHT MIND makes power supply for external HDD perfectly fit to PS2 and look like one? Who connects PS2 in this day and age to their computer?...)

And no, 24 GHZ is quite good for me to compile my new kernel on my Gentoo. Quick enough for me.

And I dont get, what is wrong for AMD to test their CPU with Intel tests? May be I don't know something, but it's perfectl fine in my books, after all, AMD CPU are program wise fully compatible with Intel. In fact I'd be happy about it. I'd be more amazed if they used ARM tests :P

Comment

Man, learn to read, they benchmark their GPUs with Intel systems!

Comment

If you use intel BOXED then you get a cooler with it, whats your problem? When you buy amd tray you dont, same for intel. Btw the cpu you mentioned is outdated, use i5-3xxx or i7-3xxx now and in a few months i5-4xxx/i7-4xxx. Money should not be the huge problem, it if is for you get a console. Btw. in germany the diff is not really much:

✔ Preisvergleich für Intel Core i5-3570K, 4C/4T, 3.40-3.80GHz, boxed ✔ Bewertungen ✔ Produktinfo ⇒ Kerne: 4 • Threads: 4 • Turbotakt: 3.80GHz (Turbo Boost 2.0) • Basistakt: 3.40GHz… ✔ Intel ✔ Testberichte ✔ Günstig kaufen

vs.

A suiteable Z77 board you get for:

So you would save impressive 27?. That must be a joke when you calculate that in % of your complete system. Why do you consider that
        expensive when you get MUCH more speed?
        Please read this first. 1 smaller step from original I5 in the article -i don't think it will matter that mutch. It still IS more EXPENSIVE.
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FINALLY Intel started to give a cooler, didn't know that, thanks for letting me know.

Money is ALWAYS a problem. I am not a developer. I didn't have luck in my life to become one. If you have spare, I can have it :P
        Still my choice is less expensive and I am guessing it still would rape I5 core performance wise.

I ALSO have satisfaction of supporting AMD. I don't want Intel to dominate market. I remember times of first Pentium all right.

For me it's more expensive to buy console. Because once every so often I have to update console. I can't use computer.(which i do a lot) and I have to buy TV. FYI, HERE IN GERMANY me and YOU have to pay for TV license. Which I don't. I don't have Telly. :P Man who came in to check my flat for Telly went out with jaw dropped.

And let me under strike it one more time, CPU was never a bottle neck here. Just Mobo. I checked every game, every test, it was never utilised for 100% Not even one core(may be Unigine). Ok, may be occasionally, but if game was performing bad, it was like that all time.

Comment

Intel boxed cpus have got a cooler since ages. The first boxed intel cpu i got was a Core 2 Duo E6600, but Intel boxed is even older.

Comment

Intel boxed cpus have got a cooler since ages. The first boxed intel cpu i got was a Core 2 Duo E6600, but Intel boxed is even older.
            Intel boxed coolers are garbage.

Comment

I had a P4 (3Ghz) boxed with cooler, bought in ~2003 (so they have this at least 9years)

Comment

@JS987

I would not say that, when you don't oc they work fine and you can em install in less than 30s. I use one with i7-3770S and i have got a spare one lying around if i get another board.

Comment

@JS987
                  I would not say that, when you don't oc they work fine and you can em install in less than 30s. I use one with i7-3770S and i have got a spare one lying around if i get another board.

Temperature 82C is extreme. My CPU with tower cooler doesn't exceed 47C with fan running at 800 RPM.

Comment

Most gamers with amd systems need to force the cpu to performance mode for Linux games - this has something to do that the Linux sheduler is different to the Windows one and changes more often the load from one core to the next.
                    See the cow bouncing patch in 3.9.

Comment

@JS987

My cpu is the S variant not the K but i would not worry about it. When you buy K to oc you need a better cooler anyway - if you don't oc then the cpu will run at that temp as expected but you will be able to hear the fan. I don't see a reason to monitor temp all the time and i really compile much. When it is withing spec all is ok - the cpu would at max throttle down but would never die. I think i pushed my cpu close to 100C while oc and it still lives.

Comment

Working...
                      X