No announcement yet.

Linus is back on GNOME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You people are still taking funky's trolling seriously? Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      What part of "ve know vhat you vant, and you vill do it like we tell you to do it" did you not understand as being a problem?"
      I actually appreciate that. I don't really need a choice of 17 system monitors - I just need one that works well. The same principle applies across the whole desktop - pick things and pick them well. Of course I'll be up in arms the moment they remove something I use (eg focus follows mouse).

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
        Yeah he is not satisfied -yet. Still he prefers GNOME. Which means the alternatives are more SHITTY. LOL!!! So a true story of life: If you are a cool hacker you use GNOME. Because GNOME is the most extendable desktop outthere. PERIOD!!!! Only scriptkiddies, retards and mums use badly done Windows replicas.

Be cool, be GNOME!
        Or perhaps, if you're a stupid fanboy or masochist. Unity and KDE are far better than gnome. After reading such bullshit I'm glad Ubuntu will have their own SDK, so developers will focus on it and abandon gnome.

Comment

I can only assume KDE raped funkSTAR's mother and/or dog, such is the unjustified hatred of what is just another choice of desktop in the FOSS landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            You people are still taking funky's trolling seriously? Lol.

http://blogs.gnome.org/otte/2012/07/...nto-the-abyss/
            Can you reshare that link ten times more? It is all you got left. Linus couldnt stand KDE because it is shit. And Otte? Also on gnome. KDE is dead. Hah.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
              Can you reshare that link ten times more? It is all you got left.
              I would share thoughts by other full-time GTK3 developers, but there are none.

Anyway, if you prefer GNOME, use it, no problem, just stop your psycho obsession with preventing people from running free software by destroying everything that you are not using. I promise that we won't tell you what you're missing, and that way you'll be happier in 3 years when you finally get the same functionality.

Comment

Linus made Linux because unix was too expensive. Linus made GIT because others did not work well enough.

Maybe this total lack of direction in the Linux desktop world is of benefit to us all, since i can see Linus in the near future saying fuck it, taking a couple months off from kernel works and cooking up a desktop environment to rule them all

Comment

I really wish people would stop reading so much into it when Linus switches DE's. I switch DE's all the time.

It doesn't mean that he thinks the DE he's switching to is better, or prefers it. Sometimes, we just want to see what other DE's are doing. And, since he cares about Linux(it's his baby), he probably just feels as though he owes it to try out the big ones every now and then. And, you'll notice that he'll never say anything particularly nice about any DE because that would be showing favouritism.

So everyone, relax. It doesn't really mean... well, anything. We all like to switch to the other DE's every now and then to see what's going on in that world. It doesn't mean he hates the other DE's, it doesn't mean that he loves the new DE. He's a developer. They're genetically programmed to test-drive different kinds of software.

Comment

Originally posted by StephanG View Post
                    I really wish people would stop reading so much into it when Linus switches DE's. I switch DE's all the time.

It doesn't mean that he thinks the DE he's switching to is better, or prefers it. Sometimes, we just want to see what other DE's are doing. And, since he cares about Linux(it's his baby), he probably just feels as though he owes it to try out the big ones every now and then. And, you'll notice that he'll never say anything particularly nice about any DE because that would be showing favouritism.

So everyone, relax. It doesn't really mean... well, anything. We all like to switch to the other DE's every now and then to see what's going on in that world. It doesn't mean he hates the other DE's, it doesn't mean that he loves the new DE. He's a developer. They're genetically programmed to test-drive different kinds of software.
                    people are getting excited about it because he's saying the same thing a lot of other people have already said and been ignored, hopefully this means some more configuration options for gnome 3 and i can start using it again. the top bar is a deal breaker for me, that's just how i work. i don't expect them to change it but i expect them to let me change it.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                      I would share thoughts by other full-time GTK3 developers, but there are none.
                      Sorry but you have gone ignorant by the way Qt development works. Everybody knows there is a great barrier between Qts commercial business serving non-desktop customers on non-linux platforms and GTK. People at GTK dont see doing Gnome development as a waste of time. So there are a rather large bunch working "on both sides of the API; gnome and GTK. I suggest you go read the blogs of

Clasen, principal gtk maintainer, doing alot of work on both side of the API.

Taylor, former maintainer, now dev. Landed the frame sync stuff for 3.8
                      Owen Taylor on Coding, Food, etc.

Larsson, gtk/glib dev, landed multi process broadway

Oh yeah and a bunch of intel guys are working to make "Wayland done right" on GTK/gnome.

Thats like 10 times more assuring than Kwins brain damaged SSD. And frankly Qt dont care about this.

So yeah you are right. GTK doesnt sport many GTK-only devs, but they have something better; Devs who actually care about the free desktop as the primary customer.

So next time you post stuff about gnome be sure to include these links. Unless of course that you just try to get as biased as possible.
                      Last edited by funkSTAR; 04 March 2013, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X