Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Linux 3.9 Gets Btrfs RAID 5/6, Fsync Performance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,813

    Default Linux 3.9 Gets Btrfs RAID 5/6, Fsync Performance

    Phoronix: Linux 3.9 Gets Btrfs RAID 5/6, Fsync Performance

    In addition to the already exciting features of the Linux 3.9 kernel, this next release will also bring several new features to the Btrfs file-system...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNjU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Linux 3.9 Gets Btrfs RAID 5/6, Fsync Performance

    In addition to the already exciting features of the Linux 3.9 kernel, this next release will also bring several new features to the Btrfs file-system...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTMxNjU
    with each new kernel release I really hope that btrfs gets mature enough that I can use it on root and my portage-partition

    so that it survives a hardlock or (accidental) power outage without data corruption or loss of access to the contained data


    lots of important improvements - I'm curious when the next data loss or corruption messages occur on the mailing list (hopefully less and less or not anymore)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    with each new kernel release I really hope that btrfs gets mature enough that I can use it on root and my portage-partition

    so that it survives a hardlock or (accidental) power outage without data corruption or loss of access to the contained data


    lots of important improvements - I'm curious when the next data loss or corruption messages occur on the mailing list (hopefully less and less or not anymore)
    Well, it's mature enough already for normal usage. As long as you don't do anything exotic, it should work fine.

    Oh, and I submitted an ebuild of Snapper to Gentoo (Sunrise). It's an excellent addition to btrfs. Hooking it up with emerge (I have a separate script for it, called it "bmerge", that makes a snapshot and then executes emerge) makes it handle everything automatically in a transparent fashion. Instant rollback capabilities!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Somehow I get the feeling btrfs is going to become the emacs of file-systems.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragas View Post
    Somehow I get the feeling btrfs is going to become the emacs of file-systems.
    Meaning what, Ragas...? BTRFS is supposed to have all these capabilities, it was part of the design spec.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    with each new kernel release I really hope that btrfs gets mature enough that I can use it on root and my portage-partition

    so that it survives a hardlock or (accidental) power outage without data corruption or loss of access to the contained data
    Assuming that everything works right... you shouldn't lose anything. You should always have the new copy of the data, or the old copy, should never totally fail. I've got it on my arch linux home server as both root and home, have for months, and no problems thus far.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Assuming that everything works right... you shouldn't lose anything. You should always have the new copy of the data, or the old copy, should never totally fail. I've got it on my arch linux home server as both root and home, have for months, and no problems thus far.
    the point is - I tried until a few versions ago and after several weeks it suddenly stopped working (the portage partition)

    I use it on a backup partition where it seems to still work but that it almost like a clockwork reliably fails sooner or later makes me feel uneasy


    all of these partitions are on top of cryptsetup/luks btw



    oh - I didn't ask for this but:

    http://marc.info/?l=linux-btrfs&m=136231908213113&w=2


    yeah, these error messages look familiar

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    all of these partitions are on top of cryptsetup/luks btw
    Yea, that could be put into the "exotic setup" category.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ericg View Post
    Assuming that everything works right...
    if you assume such things you do not need any of the "improved" features of brtfs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •