Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.5.25 Gets Initial Wingdings Font

Phoronix: Wine 1.5.25 Gets Initial Wingdings Font

The changes for Wine 1.5.25 aren't too interesting overall, but this bi-weekly Wine development release does bring an initial version of the Wingdings font...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Direct3D contributions

I think it's pretty obvious why Direct3D contributions have decreased. They don't want the free version to outperform the paid version, because then no one would buy the paid version. Same thing applies to bug fixes.

For me Wine has always been a toy. On the other hand, I'm really happy with VirtualBox and a pirated copy of Windows XP.

Comment

It playes every game I throw at it so long as I follow the directions from other users comments on appdb. The biggest problem with wine is that its direct3d support is dirt slow. For example Star Trek Online renders perfectly, but the framerate is too low to actually play. Skyrim also renders perfectly but is too slow to play. I'm sure the same is true for every direct3d game.

EDIT: A few years ago someone wrote a direct3d state tracker for gallium, but the wine devs said there was no chance they would ever use it, so development on it pretty much stopped... Personally I think a native direct3d implementation is the only real solution to the problem. The wine devs will never get that through their thick ass skulls tho.
      Last edited by duby229; 01 March 2013, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        It playes every game I throw at it so long as I follow the directions from other users comments on appdb. The biggest problem with wine is that its direct3d support is dirt slow. For example Star Trek Online renders perfectly, but the framerate is too low to actually play. Skyrim also renders perfectly but is too slow to play. I'm sure the same is true for every direct3d game.

EDIT: A few years ago someone wrote a direct3d state tracker for gallium, but the wine devs said there was no chance they would ever use it, so development on it pretty much stopped... Personally I think a native direct3d implementation is the only real solution to the problem. The wine devs will never get that through their thick ass skulls tho.

Yes the D3D state tracker. This thing worked only with Fermi and kepler if i remember correctly with some connection front-end (galium+nvidia_driver), but it was promising. Anyway they didn't use it with a ridiculous way of thinking (some faked fear for patents). Now lets drop kernel and codecs to for the same reason. Some of them are !@#$% with Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
          Yes the D3D state tracker. This thing worked only with Fermi and kepler if i remember correctly with some connection front-end (galium+nvidia_driver), but it was promising. Anyway they didn't use it with a ridiculous way of thinking (some faked fear for patents).
          Actually they didn't use it because that would make Wine non-portable. They need to run on OS X and other Unices too.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
            Yes the D3D state tracker. This thing worked only with Fermi and kepler if i remember correctly with some connection front-end (galium+nvidia_driver), but it was promising. Anyway they didn't use it with a ridiculous way of thinking (some faked fear for patents). Now lets drop kernel and codecs to for the same reason. Some of them are !@#$% with Microsoft.
            MS has already been sued in the US about DirectX... Case law already exists that allows independent third party implementations of the DX API's.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Actually they didn't use it because that would make Wine non-portable. They need to run on OS X and other Unices too.
              That is a good point, but should it simply not be done for the sole reason being that it hasnt already? Thats the basic excuse... What you are describing is a catch 22.... Somebody has to make the egg.... I say it might as well be linux.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                And yet Unreal and Unreal Tournament on Wine with Direct3D rival their native Linux ports. So it really depends on the game (UE1 games use Direct3D 7, mostly, or at maximum Direct3D 8) and your PC hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                  I think it's pretty obvious why Direct3D contributions have decreased. They don't want the free version to outperform the paid version, because then no one would buy the paid version. Same thing applies to bug fixes.
                  Not sure that's why, but it must be the first time I see no change logs from Henri Verbeet nor Stefan D?singer. But hey who knows, they need vacations too

Comment

Working...
                  X