Linux Gamers Make Up ~2% Of Valve's Steam Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nightmarex View Post
    Speaking of Blizzard, where's that Linux port?

I don't see Bethesda or EA bothering at all. Bungie last time I checked were M$. In the top 50 game manufacturers none jump out at me other than Valve that seems to care. ID used to care (sorta) Atari may come on board but I just depressed myself.

I know I have personally petitioned NCsoft a few times, that alone would be a huge change but they don't seem interested in all, they're like "that's what Wine is for, dummy".

Edit: Will someone kick Runic games in the ass so we can TL2 (hopefully with faces).
    Bungie actully buy themselfs out of MS and gone multiplatfrom. They annouced Destiny and Activision will be publisher, it was one of games shown during PS4 annoucment and looking on there site code they plan to go to as much platfrorms as possible Bethesta can come in too, they quite multiplatform, besides they owned by ZeniMax same company that owns longest gaming Linux lover id Software (thru they betrayed Linux with Rage).

SteamBox needs few things to success:

1. Work like console, feel like a console, marketised as a console. If this gonna be just yet another branded PC it won't be anything special and people (Specially console users) won't acknowledge it as Wii U, PS4, Xbox720 (or whatever it will be called) compatition.
    2.User base, this is most impotent thing of them all, not just for console but any platform... Linux is one of victims of that. More user = more developer interest.
    3.Exlusives deals, show that you have better line up then all other consoles, this is what happens during start of generation.... it what happening now, for example Ninendo got exlusive Beyonetta 2, which was quite a hit on Xbox 360 and PS3. Thru i think without it might go to.
    4. Do E3 conference = instant win.... announce Half-life 3 on it early on SteamBox = meltdown, everyone pre-ordering

It's actually good time then ever to make a console since it's generation transition right now
    Last edited by shadowriver; 08 March 2013, 09:24 PM.

Comment

As a console gamer who's only recently made the PC his only gaming system, I can only hope that GNU/Linux gains the interest of many developers and that we see the fruits of their labour on Steam. Right now, I have no choice but to use Windows not only because of the lack of decent games for the opposition but also because of the controversy surrounding NVIDIA's blob but I will be among the first to move back to free software the moment the games come in.

I also want to express how disappointed I am in Pallidus' behaviour. I can imagine many things that he might want to do with his adolescence other than bother free software lovers. Masturbation comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        I always get the last word faggot.
        No you don't. And everybody here can read, you homophobe.

You lose again! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by shadowriver View Post
          Bungie actully buy themselfs out of MS and gone multiplatfrom. They annouced Destiny and Activision will be publisher, it was one of games shown during PS4 annoucment and looking on there site code they plan to go to as much platfrorms as possible Bethesta can come in too, they quite multiplatform, besides they owned by ZeniMax same company that owns longest gaming Linux lover id Software (thru they betrayed Linux with Rage).

SteamBox needs few things to success:

1. Work like console, feel like a console, marketised as a console. If this gonna be just yet another branded PC it won't be anything special and people (Specially console users) won't acknowledge it as Wii U, PS4, Xbox720 (or whatever it will be called) compatition.
          2.User base, this is most impotent thing of them all, not just for console but any platform... Linux is one of victims of that. More user = more developer interest.
          3.Exlusives deals, show that you have better line up then all other consoles, this is what happens during start of generation.... it what happening now, for example Ninendo got exlusive Beyonetta 2, which was quite a hit on Xbox 360 and PS3. Thru i think without it might go to.
          4. Do E3 conference = instant win.... announce Half-life 3 on it early on SteamBox = meltdown, everyone pre-ordering

It's actually good time then ever to make a console since it's generation transition right now
          I very much agree with you, although I am more cynical regarding #4.

Steambox could be a huge success because it could be both PC and console. Dedicated consoles are quite redundant in my opinion. Of course the masses of consumers can disagree with that and keep thinking that dedicated console is the way to go.

Steambox might become to consoles what Betamax was to VHS. A superior platform with marginal userbase. I truly hope that does not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
            I very much agree with you, although I am more cynical regarding #4.

Steambox could be a huge success because it could be both PC and console. Dedicated consoles are quite redundant in my opinion. Of course the masses of consumers can disagree with that and keep thinking that dedicated console is the way to go.

Steambox might become to consoles what Betamax was to VHS. A superior platform with marginal userbase. I truly hope that does not happen.
            If you failed to notice, open standards are usually displace "closed" ones, given enough time.
            1) IBM has made IBM PC as open archtecture. So anyone can make devices for them and anyone can create a clone. Then IBM PCs conquered whole world and nearly eliminated most of closed competitors. While it's debatable is it has been huge success for IBM itself, it has been clearly an epic win for x86 arch, intel and so on.
            2) Now we can see epic DX vs OpenGL battle is about to complete. And winner will be OpenGL. You see, most of mobile devices and web, two leading industry branches have chosen OpenGL over anything else. Well, because DX is closed. New members are just not welcome on this party. So there was no other options. In fact MS doomed their own future by their own closed policy. They doomed competing standard to become popular because anyone who is not MS and wants to earn money have to resort to competing standards like OpenGL. And it's exactly what happens here and now. iPhone? OpenGL. Android? OpenGL. Web? WebGL. Linux? MacOS? OpenGL again. And it even works on Windows. So it looks much better idea to learn OpenGL these days

In fact, most "exclusive" proprietary "standards" where some vendor attempts to have ultimate domination over others have perished in favor of more friendly ways of doing things. Because it's quite hard to conquer whole planet and there will be strong demand for competing standards. That's what exactly happens these days. I guess future will be very interesting thing to see .
            Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 12 March 2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

The game 10 Million hits Linux (Steam) tomorrow http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...this-week.1831

Comment

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
                The game 10 Million hits Linux (Steam) tomorrow http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...this-week.1831
                This looks like an Amateur freeware game. Do they actually charge money for this?

Comment

This is one install of Steam running in its own Crossover bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
                    If you failed to notice, open standards are usually displace "closed" ones, given enough time.
                    1) IBM has made IBM PC as open archtecture. So anyone can make devices for them and anyone can create a clone. Then IBM PCs conquered whole world and nearly eliminated most of closed competitors. While it's debatable is it has been huge success for IBM itself, it has been clearly an epic win for x86 arch, intel and so on.
                    2) Now we can see epic DX vs OpenGL battle is about to complete. And winner will be OpenGL. You see, most of mobile devices and web, two leading industry branches have chosen OpenGL over anything else. Well, because DX is closed. New members are just not welcome on this party. So there was no other options. In fact MS doomed their own future by their own closed policy. They doomed competing standard to become popular because anyone who is not MS and wants to earn money have to resort to competing standards like OpenGL. And it's exactly what happens here and now. iPhone? OpenGL. Android? OpenGL. Web? WebGL. Linux? MacOS? OpenGL again. And it even works on Windows. So it looks much better idea to learn OpenGL these days

In fact, most "exclusive" proprietary "standards" where some vendor attempts to have ultimate domination over others have perished in favor of more friendly ways of doing things. Because it's quite hard to conquer whole planet and there will be strong demand for competing standards. That's what exactly happens these days. I guess future will be very interesting thing to see .
                    So we're in GL vs DX round 3? GL won early, lost late and is going to win super late? Eh, I think DX is too entrenched if we see it displaced there has to be a catalyst (not the AMD driver) beyond just android, mac OS, or Linux. Game makers need to start doing what they do with consoles and access hardware direct... Interestingly with AMD on all fronts for next gen, this may just be applicable. EGL is prime for such a move.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      This looks like an Amateur freeware game. Do they actually charge money for this?
                      Why the hell not? People are willing to give Cleveland Mark Blakemore money for his vaporware that started development before Dolly was cloned.

Comment

Working...
                      X